First Night proper carb counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done for trying!🙂

I hadnt realised you were having mashed potato. Because it is mashed up it means your stomach doesnt need to do the hard work! This means that when you eat it - it works very quickly and sends your level high. So to help stop this you need to inject 5 or 10 minutes before eating to stop the later rise.
Basically it means the insulin 'misses' the food and so has little to work on. So you may go a bit lower straight after eating and then go high a few hours later.

The sausages seem a little high at 7 each? What sausages were they? I think the most carbs i have found is about 4 or 5 each sausage.

I hope you know i am only telling you this so you have more information for next time. I am not saying you have done anything wrong - you have tried very hard and done brilliantly - well done!

The more you do this - the easier it will get - so keep at it! And dont forget - you are helping lots of people who are too shy to ask or feel silly asking - so well done!🙂Bev x

Now at 12.9..... Think I need to work on it but least I know where I went wrong so its not suprising I'm a little high still.... not as high as I would have been though 🙂

How does the dose compare to what you might have given yourself before you tried carb counting? I reckon if you'd given yourself the extra 1.5 units for the potatoes you would be under 10 by now! It's a learning experience and you won't get it right every time, but you will start to get it right most of the time🙂

I would have been slightly higher - around 15... but only got that low due to guessing 🙂 lol .

I looked on a site that someone posted on here (i can't remember who sorry) and it said beef sausages are 7 each.....

Cheers for the advice and support

I would have been slightly higher - around 15... but only got that low due to guessing 🙂 lol .

I looked on a site that someone posted on here (i can't remember who sorry) and it said beef sausages are 7 each.....

Cheers for the advice and support

Sausages can vary - the cheaper ones will have more rusk/cereal content and therefore more carbs than a high quality 90% meat one. If you're only having a couple, it probably doesn't make that much difference when calculating your insulin.

Gone upto 15 :( correcting but dont know buy how much...

Gone upto 15 :( correcting but dont know buy how much...

I think with most people 1 unit will bring your levels down by 3 mmol, but you know yourself better than any of us, so do what you think. How long is it since you ate?

Something to talk about with your nurse when you get a decent one!

I'm afraid I avoid potatoes like the plague, cleriac is now my very much preferred option. I do Tescos chipolatas which are about 1.5g of carbs for 2.
Have them for breakfast most days.🙂
You do have to watch the carbs in avariety of sausages.

Ken

Now I'm down to 11.5... least its going in the right direction again 🙂

🙂cant help realy lou but WELL DONE you've made a start off your own back and fantasic support on here ...keep at it good luck xx

Hi Lou

Well the girl done good eh! Great start, very proud of you.

The equation to work out the carbs I had to write down in a book. Our DSN gave me a rhyme that helped her but blowed if I can remember it properly.

Using your 217 g weight of potatos and using 16 carbs (cho) per 100g this is the equation :

217 divided by 100 multiplied by 16 = 34.72 (round up to 35 carb)

I wrote that exact thing in my book. It gets easier but I still use the calculator on my phone every time.

For example if you have 300 g weight :

300 divided by 100 x 16 = 48 carbs

The rhyme is something like (and make up what you may remember)

What you have got divided by what weight you know x by the carbs you know =

You can use this equation with anything at all. In the Collins carb book for instance it can give very odd weights which won't help you

ie

90g weight of old potato baked, flesh and skin is 28.5 carbs

So you don't have the 100 g BUT use the equation and pretend your potato (cooked as described) weights 223 g :

223g (what you have) divided by 90 (what weight you know) x 28.5 (carbs you know) = 70.61 round up to 71 carbs !

Hope that makes sense and helps a bit.

You are doing fab.

Did you do the 500 and 100 rule? x

I tried lol. i got a little bit muddled xxx

It sounds like you have started at a good place though so maybe do it for the 5 days this week, write it all down and I'll do it for you.

To get the 12.9 after is great. You are getting closer and closer to where you should be. Give it a month or two and you will wonder why you never did this before. 🙂

soz but ive been following this thread and i just want to say ' i love this place'

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at 7.8 now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO at 7.8 now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's terrific Lou! Well done! Don't forget to write everything down, then you can refer to it next time you have the same meal🙂 I found that, although I eat lots of different things, after a short time I was having a meal I'd already worked out the insulin for so it started to get much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back