First Night proper carb counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smile4loubie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Tonight I'm going to have my first meal carb counting. I havent had my carb counting book delivered yet, so could someone tell me the rough carb vaules of sausages,potatoes and gravy.
Going to weigh the potato when its cooked.

How do I work out the carb by the weight again.

Sorry for asking you to repeat yourselves many times over - promise I'll get it soon.

Good luck with the carb counting. I'm sure someone will be along soon to advidse.

There is no need to appologise for answeres to be repeated, some times it takea a while for us to understand thingd, especially if it is something new. We all have different ways of explaining things, so sometimes it is clearer than others.

Hi Lou,

Well done for trying!

Firstly, it will tell you on the packet,but i will try to help.

Potatoes are normally approx 16 carbs per 100g.

So you weigh your potatoes and we will call this 'x'.

16 divided by 100 times by 'x' = the amount of carbs in the potato.

This is if your boiling the potatoes. If you are deep frying them i would double the 16 to about 30ish per 100g to count for the fat.

Sausages normally tell you on the packet - but if not - if they are good quality mostly meat sausages i count them as 1.5 carbs each (about 4 inches long)

Gravy - if its gravy granules this is normally 5 carbs per 70 mls.
(this is roughly a ladel full of gravy equals 5 carbs).

I hope this has helped? Also, are you using a ratio to work out the carbs?🙂Bev

How are you cooking the potatoes, if you're going on the cooked weight that will have a big impact. Personally I find it easier to weigh before cooking and go on the dry weight but as I usually only cook for myself that's not too much hassle, I appreciate if you're cooking for others it's more tricky.

Sausages, I'd check the packet as they do vary quite significantly.

Good luck with it all.

I had sausages, mash, onions and peas.
I weighed the mash n it was 217g divided it by 16 and got 13.5 which i rounded up to 14.
Looked on a website and it said sausages were 7g per sausage (i had 3).
so I then added 21(from the sausages) and 14 from the potato and got 35.
I'm starting at 5unit per 10g so I worked it out to be 17 units. I was at 11 before dinner so took 3 extra units to correct.
I then had a slice of melon (medium sized) and took 8 units for this.

Will check in two hours as to levels.

Did I do ok as to weighing/working out etc??

I weighed the mash n it was 217g divided it by 16 and got 13.5 which i rounded up to 14.
I'm starting at 5unit per 10g so I worked it out to be 17 units. I was at 11 before dinner so took 3 extra units to correct.

sounds like you did brilliantly

I hate weighing stuff so much :( but it works. Checking your levels post meal will help you work out ratios too, something I'm still struggling with.

You've reminded me I need to keep weighing my food too :( nursey wants a diary on thursday :(

Hi Louise,
Hope the carb counting worked. I've just been on DAFNE and that was all about carb counting. Its going ok some days. Like you i'm weighing everything. I'm taking 1 unit of insulin for every 10g of carb. 5 units sounds alot, might work for you though. Let us know how you get on. Good luck x

I've always had to take alot of insulin no matter what I eat so I thought 5 was a good place to start =) I'll soon find out lol!!!

Its a good starting point, i find it'a all trial and error. Sometimes it just depends on what i eat. let us know how you get on. Happy weighing, i feel as if thats all i do these days. x x🙂

Hour after eating - 12.7

not too bad I think 🙂

Well done! Just noticed I don't follow your maths. If you use Bev's equations, you potatoes weighed 217g. Then you do 217x16/100 to find out the carbs, which is 34.7g carbs for your serving of potatoes. So maybe if you'd injected a bit more insulin for this amount of potatoes you'd be even lower afterwards!

As an alternative, I was taught approximate quantities, e.g. an egg-sized potato is 10g carbs. 4 thick chips are 10g carbs too. A tablespoon scoop of mash is also 10g. Sometimes that's easier, especially if you're eating out.

Lou, you're not quite right with the potatoes there. If there are 16g carb per 100g then 200g = 2x16 = 32, so you had 32g carbs in the potatoes, not 14. Do you see what I mean?

so the equation is the weight times by the carb divded by 100?

That's the spirit Lou, don't give up! It's great that you're doing it, I find potatoes confusing, as I try and carb guess by the size of things not by weighing, also potatoes are different if mash boiled or baked! Sausages always surprise me too, so you've done great! Hope you have enough strips to test.

Rossi🙂

I think I should get the equation tattooed on my arm or something so I can get confused or forget it lol xx

Now at 12.9..... Think I need to work on it but least I know where I went wrong so its not suprising I'm a little high still.... not as high as I would have been though 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back