Fiasp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried NovoRapid, Humalog and Fiasp.
For me, NovoRapid was the most predictable.
Humalog was the s-l-o-w-e-s-t
Fiasp is still the faster after more than 2 years but it took a bit of taming and is very challenging if over 10mmol/l.
I have heard of some people who use a Fiasp most of the time but use something else (e.g. Humalog) when their levels get high.

But, we are definitely all different and find insulin speeds are very personal.

Thanks very much @Lucyr i will enquire. Feel my diabetes team isn’t listening to me. They may know all about diabetes but they don’t live with it every day in and out.
I suspect it's you trying to run before you can walk 🙂
Basically no matter what insulin you use it wont work unless you learn how to use it correctly as in dose adjustment/corrections/basal changes when needed.

Do remember you haven't been diagnosed that long and even after 58 years on insulin I still do not always achieve the result I want. :(
It's a case of doing the basics first then move on to correct dosing for your bolus.

Basics are correct basal, if this isn't correct then you will be chasing your tail.

Do you have a correction ratio?
Are you also considering the type of carbs you are eating?
Personally I find using Fiasp when eating slow acting carbs and a lot of protein = a lot more insulin which needs to be bolused in split doses.
Fiasp's action(profile) is completely different to other insulin's.

Last edited:
Only the marketing department claim it’s the Holy Grail of insulins. They always do that - new, best, no need to bolus in advance, works immediately, blah blah blah. It’s all rubbish. Some of the newer insulins are pretty poor IMO. Don’t believe the hype!

Take it steadily and keep an open mind. Go for the tried and tested ones first. Don’t expect it to be perfect - just look for an improvement on the NR. Once you’ve found a better insulin, then you can work on making it even better for you by adjusting timings, etc etc.

Don’t let it get you down. It’s the nature of diabetes. There’s usually some annoyance, some frustrating thing. Take a relaxed attitude to it. Pace yourself mentally and emotionally.

Remember all to well when NR came out it was said you could bolus just before eating even afterwards, soon found out that statement was load of rubbish.

I have tried NovoRapid, Humalog and Fiasp.
For me, NovoRapid was the most predictable.
Humalog was the s-l-o-w-e-s-t
Fiasp is still the faster after more than 2 years but it took a bit of taming and is very challenging if over 10mmol/l.
I have heard of some people who use a Fiasp most of the time but use something else (e.g. Humalog) when their levels get high.

But, we are definitely all different and find insulin speeds are very personal.
Thanks, that's interesting. I tried Fiasp a year or so ago as I'm on Humalog too and find it takes way too long but didn't find any difference with Fiasp. When I read about an increased risk of "Localized cutaneous amyloidosis" with Fiasp I went back to Humalog.
I find that Humalog is still working upto 4 hours after injection and I change sites regularly, I'll ask to try out NovoRapid

Thanks, that's interesting. I tried Fiasp a year or so ago as I'm on Humalog too and find it takes way too long but didn't find any difference with Fiasp. When I read about an increased risk of "Localized cutaneous amyloidosis" with Fiasp I went back to Humalog.
I find that Humalog is still working upto 4 hours after injection and I change sites regularly, I'll ask to try out NovoRapid
I think all insulins warn about cutaneous amyloidosis (which is not the same as the amyloidosis that your link takes me to), if and only if sites aren’t rotated. My Novorapid PIL certainly does, and this is taken from the online info for Humalog.
760423F0-61D7-4724-9593-9E212426889C.jpeg

I think all insulins warn about cutaneous amyloidosis (which is not the same as the amyloidosis that your link takes me to), if and only if sites aren’t rotated. My Novorapid PIL certainly does, and this is taken from the online info for Humalog.
View attachment 25268

I had to google the name so likely got it wrong. The diabetic clinician explained to me that Fiasp isn't used with insulin pumps because of the increased risk. I don't have a pump but that and the fact it didn't work any quicker that Humalog made my mind up

I had to google the name so likely got it wrong. The diabetic clinician explained to me that Fiasp isn't used with insulin pumps because of the increased risk. I don't have a pump but that and the fact it didn't work any quicker that Humalog made my mind up
I’d not heard that. I’m sure there are people on here who have used Fiasp in a pump, @helli, @Pumper_Sue and @everydayupsanddowns spring to mind, not sure if they still do, though.
I'm not questioning your clinic's judgment, by the way, I'm just wondering if this is something that is being rolled out.

I’d not heard that. I’m sure there are people on here who have used Fiasp in a pump, @helli, @Pumper_Sue and @everydayupsanddowns spring to mind, not sure if they still do, though.
I'm not questioning your clinic's judgment, by the way, I'm just wondering if this is something that is being rolled out.
No it's fine to question the clinician, I wonder about them all the time :D. I've had T1 for 34 years and it's fair to say there have been good and bad doctors

Clinician is talking rubbish, been using fiasp in pump for last 3 years, many of us on pumps use it.

Clinician is talking rubbish, been using fiasp in pump for last 3 years, many of us on pumps use it.
Interesting, I'll bring that up the next time I have an appointment, or whenever they can be bothered to send me an appointment (usually go twice a year and it's been a year since I was last seen, there's apparently some new system where I have to wait in a queue till they send me one).
Do you find Fiasp is much quicker than Humalog?

Do you find Fiasp is much quicker than Humalog?

Never used Humalog, used novorapid before fiasp & actrapid before novorapid.

Do find fiasp is wee bit faster than novorapid but not by much, find its better at dampening down spikes but its duration is shorter, as in novo would be in system for 4 hours whereas find fiasp is finished after 3 hours, just own experience mind.

Last edited:
I've also been using Fiasp since it first came out, before that I used bovine neutral.

The reason for the pump companies and clinicians saying not to use or it doesn't work is because it's action is different to Novorapid and Humalog and the pumps are set up for working out insulin on board, corrections etc., for them and not Fiasp. They also work on the assumption that pump users are tuppence short and can not work this out for themselves and thus make the appropriate adjustments.

its duration is shorter, as in novo would be in system for 4 years whereas find fiasp is finished after 3 hours
4 years might be exaggerating a little :rofl:

I've also been using Fiasp since it first came out, before that I used bovine neutral.

The reason for the pump companies and clinicians saying not to use or it doesn't work is because it's action is different to Novorapid and Humalog and the pumps are set up for working out insulin on board, corrections etc., for them and not Fiasp. They also work on the assumption that pump users are tuppence short and can not work this out for themselves and thus make the appropriate adjustments.
The pumps ask for the action time of the insulin, so factor that into their calculations.
I am still reluctant to swap to any of the other faster ones (Lyumjev) at present having had issues with cannula sites with FIASP. As I am looping I want to be sure the algorithm will cope.

The pumps ask for the action time of the insulin, so factor that into their calculations.
I am still reluctant to swap to any of the other faster ones (Lyumjev) at present having had issues with cannula sites with FIASP. As I am looping I want to be sure the algorithm will cope.
I found I have to change the site every two days rather than 3 and this does work very well for me.

Like you @MichelleF78, I was diagnosed not long before Christmas and moved fairly recently from NR to Fiasp on the advice of my healthcare team. I was finding Novo Slow extremely slow and couldn’t seem to find the timing to prevent sometimes quite big rises in BG levels. So far the Fiasp has been ok - like everyone else I don’t buy the 2 minute pre bolus but with certain foods I can take it quite close to a meal without seeing significant BG increases. Like others I am probably a bit more heavy handed with it but I have been taking the view that might just be the result of all this relatively new insulin usage bedding in.

I don’t buy the 2 minute pre bolus
As long as I am in the low 5's before a meal 4 mins is all I need to pre-bolus if I leave it any longer than it's a def hypo on the cards.
I have found using Fiasp it is very important to have an accurate basal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back