Fiasp

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichelleF78

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hello friends

Firstly I wish you all a happy Easter for tomorrow.

I am throwing in the towel with Fiasp. Going back to my old faithful novo slow.

Clearly I am experiencing too much resistance and I am needing more and more this week especially. I have red itchy blotches on my tummy and 1-2 units isn’t dropping me at all. Don’t get me wrong it was great at the beginning but it’s like it’s just stopped working for my body this week. More corrections than I have ever encountered since starting insulin in December.

I’ve given it a go but sadly not for me and this ridiculous advice to pre bolus 2 mins before a meal doesn’t work. Breakfast was nearly an hour. Anything over 10/11 it seems to get lost and just turns to water. Not predictable enough for me and I’m not wasting anymore time.

Adios Fiasp I wish I could say it’s been a pleasure…

Clearly I am experiencing too much resistance and I am needing more and more this week especially. I have red itchy blotches on my tummy and 1-2 units isn’t dropping me at all. Don’t get me wrong it was great at the beginning but it’s like it’s just stopped working for my body this week. More corrections than I have ever encountered since starting insulin in December.
You mind find that as the clocks have changed you need more insulin, so probably not Fiasp's fault.
Check your basal would be my no1 thought.

How about apidra? I don’t really ever see many people using it, not sure why. It’s faster than humalog for me, and people say humalog is a bit faster than novoslow. Apidra doesn’t have the 5hrs hypo sting that humalog has for me too.

How about apidra? I don’t really ever see many people using it, not sure why. It’s faster than humalog for me, and people say humalog is a bit faster than novoslow. Apidra doesn’t have the 5hrs hypo sting that humalog has for me too.
Thanks very much @Lucyr i will enquire. Feel my diabetes team isn’t listening to me. They may know all about diabetes but they don’t live with it every day in and out.

Thanks very much @Inka just too stressful and not prepared to lose anymore of my mind!

A swap to Humalog would be a straight swap (they’re both similar insulins on paper) but people usually find Humalog both faster and ‘stronger’ - ie works better. Obviously not everyone finds that, but more people than not, I’d say.

A swap to Humalog would be a straight swap (they’re both similar insulins on paper) but people usually find Humalog both faster and ‘stronger’ - ie works better. Obviously not everyone finds that, but more people than not, I’d say.
Thanks again @Inka feel I knew where I was with NR albeit slow but it was predictable. I could go to bed comfortably at night knowing 2 units would get me back to target. With Fiasp it’s all over the shop and it’s like I’m just not budging and having high glucose alarms.

Last edited:
I’d never use Fiasp personally. I know some people like it, but I’ve heard too much about it. My consultant offered it to me and I gave a very terse answer. She laughed and said I wasn’t the first to say that! You’ll find an insulin that suits you best. Have a short break back on the NR and then trial a new insulin. My tip - newer isn’t always better. Prime example: Fiasp.

You mind find that as the clocks have changed you need more insulin, so probably not Fiasp's fault.
Check your basal would be my no1 thought.

Hello,

Could you elaborate please? “Day light saving” was 2 weeks back. I was unaffected (as always.) on insulin dosage needs. (MDI.)
Hello friends

Firstly I wish you all a happy Easter for tomorrow.

I am throwing in the towel with Fiasp. Going back to my old faithful novo slow.

I’ve given it a go but sadly not for me and this ridiculous advice to pre bolus 2 mins before a meal doesn’t work. Breakfast was nearly an hour. Anything over 10/11 it seems to get lost and just turns to water. Not predictable enough for me and I’m not wasting anymore time.

Adios Fiasp I wish I could say it’s been a pleasure…

I’ve never had any issue with Novorapid. Have you looked at your basal needs. Not sure if you are on MDI using a long acting basal?

Regarding your bolus. (Or corrections.) have you tried sites like the legs other than the tummy?

Hope you find what works for you.

I’d never use Fiasp personally. I know some people like it, but I’ve heard too much about it. My consultant offered it to me and I gave a very terse answer. She laughed and said I wasn’t the first to say that! You’ll find an insulin that suits you best. Have a short break back on the NR and then trial a new insulin. My tip - newer isn’t always better. Prime example: Fiasp.
It’s getting me down. It’s hard enough every blinking day without insulin not working the way you want it to behave. I thought this would be the answer to my prayers! Sadly, no. The difference this week has been immense and I’m just not prepared to give myself more and more insulin for the sake of staying on this. The blotchiness and stinginess & itchy tummy I have persevered with as I thought this was the holy grail of insulins but enough is enough. Wise words @Inka suppose we are all different but I have tried it. What works for one won’t work for another. God give me strength :(

Last edited:
Hello,

Could you elaborate please? “Day light saving” was 2 weeks back. I was unaffected (as always.) on insulin dosage needs. (MDI.)

I’ve never had any issue with Novorapid. Have you looked at your basal needs. Not sure if you are on MDI using a long acting basal?

Regarding your bolus. (Or corrections.) have you tried sites like the legs other than the tummy?

Hope you find what works for you.
Hi @Satan’s little helper I was confused by this comment too! What’s mdi sorry? No always use my tummy. Fiasp caused the blotches not NR.

Hi @Satan’s little helper I was confused by this comment too! What’s mdi sorry? No always use my tummy. Fiasp caused the blotches not NR.
Sorry for the acronym.

M. Multiple, D. Daily, I. Injections. Do you use two insulins (long & short acting insulins.) & not flying solo with just Fiasp in a pump?

I like to establish your prescribed regime before a comment.? (I’m uncertain of your prescribed status.)

Last edited:
Yes just injections but I have some resistance. 1.5 units to 10g carbs. Levemir twice daily. Was on NR since 13 December when diagnosed and foolishly moved to Fiasp a few weeks ago. Worked great at first but not anymore.

Yes just injections but I have some resistance. 1.5 units to 10g carbs. Levemir twice daily. Was on NR since 13 December when diagnosed and foolishly moved to Fiasp a few weeks ago. Worked great at first but not anymore.

OK, so you split dose your basal.? (Take twice daily.) where are you trending most on the failure of your bolus? (The Fiasp.) is there a particular time or portion of day?

I thought this was the holy grail of insulins
Not sure what gave you that impression because several of us here gave you quite in depth accounts/explanations of it's quirkiness and limitations. I am guessing maybe the nurse or consultant sung it's praises to you, possibly because they swallowed the hype that the sales rep fed them. 🙄 ie. The only 2 mins prebolus time rubbish! :(
I don't dislike Fiasp now that I have got over the disappointment of it not being significantly faster than NR and I muddle along with it and my TIR is excellent but it has been a long, difficult and frustrating journey to get to where I am with it and as I have said before, I gave up on it the first time I tried it and went back to NR after 3 months of tearing my hair out with it.

I will be interested to hear how you get on with anything else you decide to try in the future. I have bottled out of trying anything different because I can't face the prospect of another 3 months frustration unlearning the strategies I have found to help me manage with Fiasp. I imagine I would hypo a lot for the first few weeks after changing. I definitely need to be heavier handed with Fiasp (ie use more) than I did with NR, but the one thing I really like about it is the fact it is gone in 3 hours.

I think it is a wise move to go back to NR by the way at least for now. X

It’s getting me down. It’s hard enough every blinking day without insulin not working the way you want it to behave. I thought this would be the answer to my prayers! Sadly, no. The difference this week has been immense and I’m just not prepared to give myself more and more insulin for the sake of staying on this. The blotchiness and stinginess & itchy tummy I have persevered with as I thought this was the holy grail of insulins but enough is enough. Wise words @Inka suppose we are all different but I have tried it. What works for one won’t work for another. God give me strength :(

Only the marketing department claim it’s the Holy Grail of insulins. They always do that - new, best, no need to bolus in advance, works immediately, blah blah blah. It’s all rubbish. Some of the newer insulins are pretty poor IMO. Don’t believe the hype!

Take it steadily and keep an open mind. Go for the tried and tested ones first. Don’t expect it to be perfect - just look for an improvement on the NR. Once you’ve found a better insulin, then you can work on making it even better for you by adjusting timings, etc etc.

Don’t let it get you down. It’s the nature of diabetes. There’s usually some annoyance, some frustrating thing. Take a relaxed attitude to it. Pace yourself mentally and emotionally.

@MichelleF78 I’m concerned that you seem to expect instant results. You’re not a long way into this journey. I’m 28 years in and still figuring things out! Please, cut yourself some slack, don’t be in a hurry to change things, and don’t expect miracles. It’s not a race to perfection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back