Fat free or full fat foid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pretty well stuff myself with all sorts of fats, got to have something to live on, makes hardly any difference to my cholesterol readings or triglycerides whatever they are, just accept and am pleased that all these readings I am given from tests are well below the max recommended

There was not much junk food in my Grandfather's time but he ate lots of butter and bacon egg and he lived to be 101 and still quite hail and hearty
Carol

What did he do for a living?
The problem these days is we live sedentary lifestyles and rarely have to move to do anything.
Exercise burns fat/triglycerides/LDL.

Past generations would get exercise they needed just as part of their 'daily routine.'

Personally, I find fats are double calories, but with the unfortunate addition of not only making me fat, but bad fats raise my cholesterol as well.
It seems the "fat is good" sells a lot of books though, its a very profitable mantra.
Hi. Yes, fats have twice the calories of carbs which is why tracking calories is pointless as you never know the food content mix in a 'calorie' and the body handles each of the three main food groups in very different ways. Many find that fats don't cause weight gain to the extent carbs do. Also I would challenge the fact that sat fats cause cholesterol deposits in the arteries. Many posters find their cholesterol ratios improve with a low carb (i.e. high fat) diet. The arguments rage on the internet on this subject but I gather the original research data on the subject was doctored.

Hi. Yes, fats have twice the calories of carbs which is why tracking calories is pointless as you never know the food content mix in a 'calorie' and the body handles each of the three main food groups in very different ways. Many find that fats don't cause weight gain to the extent carbs do. Also I would challenge the fact that sat fats cause cholesterol deposits in the arteries. Many posters find their cholesterol ratios improve with a low carb (i.e. high fat) diet. The arguments rage on the internet on this subject but I gather the original research data on the subject was doctored.

The "conspiracy theory" went out of the window years ago.
Nowadays it's just the book salesmen and vaccine deniers who tend to tout the same theories.

What did he do for a living?
The problem these days is we live sedentary lifestyles and rarely have to move to do anything.
Exercise burns fat/triglycerides/LDL.

Past generations would get exercise they needed just as part of their 'daily routine.'

If he lived on eggs and bacon, probably a mine owner.

Mine lived through two world wars, saw a lot of calorie restriction in the rationings, walked everywhere, saw meat on a Sunday, lived off carbs.
Bread, potatoes, root vegetables, from his own allotment, three sugars in his tea, sticky puddings, bread and butter puddings, gravy made with flour, porridge, cereals, more toast, beer, it would be hard to think of anything that wasn't predominantly carbs.

Mine lived on carbs, but fairly calorie restricted, as did most of our grandparents, (unless your grandfather was on a keto diet of just bacon and eggs), but didn't own cars, so it's cars, not carbs that make the difference then, by your argument.

Just to clarify My Grandfather was born in the 1890s and was a tackler in a mill in Lancashire but he still managed to live to 101 and I hope that I inherited his genes !!!

I've been told to eat low or fat free food. My new recipe book " Easy Diabetes Cook Book" uses all full fat products. I tried the over night oat jar, my sugars have gone from 7.8 to 11.4 2 hours later ?
My response would probably have been the same, but I avoid grain - that is what my meter showed me every time, grains are high carb, about 2/3rds by weight, and so I would see a spike if I ate them, so I don't.

I've been told to eat low or fat free food. My new recipe book " Easy Diabetes Cook Book" uses all full fat products. I tried the over night oat jar, my sugars have gone from 7.8 to 11.4 2 hours later ?

Who told you to go low-fat?
My HCP's did in an attempt to reverse my diabetes by losing weight.

Others in here opt for diet control for life, and just avoid carbs generally.

It's usually a one or the other option.

Hi ,how long have fast food outlet's been around , Indian and Chinese takeaway etc !

I believe generally diabetics in a modern desease fueled by poor diet and general living standards.

Hi ,how long have fast food outlet's been around , Indian and Chinese takeaway etc !

I believe generally diabetics in a modern desease fueled by poor diet and general living standards.

Since the beginning of time.
Street food, mass kitchens feeding workers, community kitchens, they have always been a thing.

And carbs have always been a high percentage of that food, be it bread, rice, root veg, pasta, the list goes on.

What has changed is access to that food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back