Fat free or full fat foid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
I've been told to eat low or fat free food. My new recipe book " Easy Diabetes Cook Book" uses all full fat products. I tried the over night oat jar, my sugars have gone from 7.8 to 11.4 2 hours later ?

Just take a look at the ingredients and carbs. Yoghurt as an example has loads of stuff added to make fat free taste OK, Full fat every time for me😉.

I've been told to eat low or fat free food. My new recipe book " Easy Diabetes Cook Book" uses all full fat products. I tried the over night oat jar, my sugars have gone from 7.8 to 11.4 2 hours later ?
May I ask why low fat or fat free?

Frequently there is misleading or even false guidance (advice) about fat content in our meal plans, resulting in unnecessary alteration in the overall carb content of that meal in the endeavour to achieve low fat. Low fat doesn't automatically achieve low carb; milk and the associated dairy products such as yoghurt or cream have increased carb content with lowere fat content - without anything being added to make it more palatable.

I am not a dietician, just someone who has started to take more care with my food choices since my diabetes - as a result of having no pancreas and consequent certain digestive challenges. I happen to have good cholesterol levels and no weight issues.

For me, as a diabetic, it's a matter of the glycaemic index. If I went for a full fat yoghurt, this wouldn't require pre-bolusing whereas a low fat yoghurt would likely require a early bolus. So....if in a hurry, then full fat, if time to pre-bolus then low fat. Beyond that, it's just a matter of which you prefer the taste of.

Reactions: Moi
Yes, sadly the "they add carbs to low fat" just gets rolled out time and time again.
It may actually have happened last century, but not this millennium.

Think it's ones with flavouring in that have more carbs, but that's same for full fat versions.

For me, as a diabetic, it's a matter of the glycaemic index. If I went for a full fat yoghurt, this wouldn't require pre-bolusing whereas a low fat yoghurt would likely require a early bolus. So....if in a hurry, then full fat, if time to pre-bolus then low fat. Beyond that, it's just a matter of which you prefer the taste of.
I clearly understand somewhat differently! If full fat the digestion process is slowed by the fat. If I'm in a hurry, ie my BG is falling but not yet very low and I'm about to eat, I'll avoid the fat content (when I can for that meal) or not add extra butter or cream, which I otherwise would have done.

For me the prebolus timing is a different context: I prebolus with a specific time in mind, eg 20 mins for lunch and evenings, but I also monitor my BG a bit more to intercept a falling BG after that prebolus with food. If I was above 7 when I prebolused there will be a correction component in the insulin dose, because of the raised BG and I will not eat until my BG is below 7 or close AND clearly falling. Otherwise the bolus gets swallowed up by my raised BG without fully dealing with the food.

However, the OP is T2 so may not be insulin dependent - so bolus becomes irrelevant to the OP.

I like the protein yoghurts or Kvarg deserts as they are both low carb and low fat.
As far as milk, cream, etc goes I personally think whatever you prefer in your drinks otherwise you will not enjoy your cuppa.

I clearly understand somewhat differently! If full fat the digestion process is slowed by the fat. If I'm in a hurry, ie my BG is falling but not yet very low and I'm about to eat, I'll avoid the fat content (when I can for that meal) or not add extra butter or cream, which I otherwise would have done.

For me the prebolus timing is a different context: I prebolus with a specific time in mind, eg 20 mins for lunch and evenings, but I also monitor my BG a bit more to intercept a falling BG after that prebolus with food. If I was above 7 when I prebolused there will be a correction component in the insulin dose, because of the raised BG and I will not eat until my BG is below 7 or close AND clearly falling. Otherwise the bolus gets swallowed up by my raised BG without fully dealing with the food.

However, the OP is T2 so may not be insulin dependent - so bolus becomes irrelevant to the OP.
When I say in a hurry, I mean in a hurry to get out the house in the morning. If it's full fat I needn't pre bolus and hence leave the house quickly.

As you say there are other factors and its different for everyone. Hence why it's for me only, not neccesarily for others.

Last edited:
When I say in a hurry, I mean in a hurry to get out the house in the morning. If it's full fat I needn't pre bolus and hence leave the house quickly.

As you say there are other factors and its different for everyone. Hence why it's for me only, not neccesarily for others.
My apologies, I totally take your point. I'm clearly becoming a tad too bogged down in what affects me and my D at the expense of by-passing real world daily problems!

It’s unlikely to have been the fat in that breakfast that caused that rise. Fats can be broken down and converted to glucose, but it takes a much longer time.

It’s more likely that your body is more efficient at breaking down oats than average - several members here find they get a faster glucose response from oats than their reputation for ‘slow release’ suggests (I am one).

There’s a graph suggesting likely conversion of carbs / protein / fats to blood glucose here

Thank you the graph is very useful and helps to understand a little better.

Remember in general Fats don't make you fat as the body more easily converts Carbs to glucose and then stores excess as fat. The whole Low-Fat thing is based on very bad science influenced to some extent by the food lobby who wish to promote cheap and profitable carbs.

Remember in general Fats don't make you fat as the body more easily converts Carbs to glucose and then stores excess as fat. The whole Low-Fat thing is based on very bad science influenced to some extent by the food lobby who wish to promote cheap and profitable carbs.

Personally, I find fats are double calories, but with the unfortunate addition of not only making me fat, but bad fats raise my cholesterol as well.
It seems the "fat is good" sells a lot of books though, its a very profitable mantra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back