Family Member

Status
Not open for further replies.

dollyday

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Head cook and bottle washer but struggle with what to feed the Diabetic type 2 in the family.

Meat, fish, dairy, eggs, green above ground veg, salads, berries, unflavoured unsweetened yoghurt and double cream.

Drink tea, coffee, water.

This link may help but whether it is suitable may depend on what medication and how far into the diabetic zone they are and do they need to lose weight.
A bit more information about that would help people make appropriate comments.

I'll be honest, I've struggled not having pasta and rice because they were my go-to foods but it can be done. My typical day (and it's certainly not perfect) may give you some ideas:

Breakfast:
Two poached eggs on two slices of wholemeal bread (I now class wholemeal bread as a treat!)
Sometimes have bacon
Sometimes the eggs are scrambled
Also do omelettes and no bread, which is much better 🙂

Lunch:
Salad - cucumber, lettuce, tomatoes, celery, olives
Fish - tinned salmon or mackerel
Meat - chicken mostly or pork steaks
Full Fat Greek yogurt with strawberries (I can eat this at any time of the day 😉)

Dinner:
Meat - again chicken mainly with loads of veg but no potatoes or parsnips just broccoli, sprouts, cauliflower, spinach or carrots
Sometimes i just pick on carrot sticks and hummus - depends if I'm hungry
Soup - tomato or chicken usually
Casseroles - slow cooked

I work from home so will often swap dinner for lunch as I don't like eating a big meal too late. I don't snack in between meals but I do drink lashings of tea instead!!

I'm off out for tea tonight, so that will be interesting attempting to navigate my way around chips, chips and more chips on pub menus.

I'm off out for tea tonight, so that will be interesting attempting to navigate my way around chips, chips and more chips on pub menus.
Pretty easy .... just ask if you can swap the chips for a salad?

Pretty easy .... just ask if you can swap the chips for a salad?
Turned out to be a good pub and they swapped the chips for veg.

I’ll be honest, I’ve not found dining out too traumatic yet. Most places are very accommodating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back