Facing up to my failure!

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I wondered where you'd got to @merrymunky :) Your baby is beautiful. You now need to be here for her forever, but you're back on it now so you'll all be okay. (((hugs)))

Last edited:

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@merrymunky Look at that perfect little girl - you haven’t failed at all! You’ve done an amazing thing :cool: :)

Be kind to yourself. The early months with a baby are hard work and your focus is quite rightly elsewhere. I’d also add that your body was/is probably still adjusting and getting back to normal. That usually takes a good 9 months. Ignoring the whole diabetes thing, I think mothers are often under far too much pressure to get back to normal in a few weeks when it honestly does take around 9 months and even then you’re still adjusting.

Don’t beat yourself up. Be proud of how hard you worked. Set yourself tiny goals and don’t berate yourself if you slip up sometimes. You’ll gradually get back in control. XX

pm133

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. Don't do it, it's not nice and no need for it. It makes my stomach go wobbly, I come on here for comfort and support, don't want to be made physically ill!
I'm probably being daft but I'm not seeing any sarcasm. Am I missing something?

Lucy Honeychurch

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Don't fret, you've done it once and you can do it again. Eris is gorgeous :)

merrymunky

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all for the encouraging words and support. I knew I could count on you all to welcome me back with no judgement.

I went to get an hba1c test today. They ran full bloods and also gave me my flu jab too while they were at it. My other bloods have all come back to totally normal but the hba1c isn’t back yet. I expect the system will show results tomorrow at some point.

They ran liver function, renal, thyroid, serum ferratin, bone profile etc so at least that’s encouraging to know nothing abnormal has shown up. I can only assume that these symptoms are just a cumulative effect of being so far off the wagon.

I went at red Igbo to the supermarket to stock up on supplies to get back on the wagon. I made my homemade soup for lunch and had salad for tea snd my levels have stabilised with those meals. I know it’s going to be very up and down for the coming weeks but I am going to give it my all.
I just want to know my pesky hba1c.

SueEK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @merrymunky and good to see you back, even lovelier to see gorgeous Erin. Every single thing goes out of the window when you have a baby, particularly your first. ‘Baby brain’ is not a myth because we just concentrate on baby and getting through the basics day to day. I don’t think there’s a single person on here who would berate you for ‘falling off the wagon’. You are back and will soon get back on track. You know how it works and can do it, just don’t be hard on yourself.
Again, lovely to hear from you. Luv luv x

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I think we're allowed to be covetous about babies aren't we? 7 grandchildren and 5 greats - so far - though 2 of the grands are still at school anyway and the eldest great is almost as old as the youngest grand.

Think I deserve to be allowed a bit of coveting by now Been a very long time since I've seen any shoes I want to invest in!

merrymunky

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello all,

I had a call from the nurse practitioner earlier and my hba1c is currently 57 so not as bad as I was expecting but definitely in need of sorting out.

I also had the covid antibody test this morning so once that’s ruled out I can assume the shortness of breath and light headedness is all to do with my higher levels.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So pleased things are better than you expected. Hopefully that mountain ahead has just reduced in size and is now looking like just a bit of a hill and not nearly so daunting.

Bloden

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Aw, she’s gooooorgeous @merrymunky. That A1c isn’t too shabby either. Cut yourself some slack. You’ve just had a baby. I hear it’s hard work. :eek: :)

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Also you had a baby during the worst possible year.
Anyone saying their mental health hasn’t been impact by covid and lockdowns is probably a lair.
You have done it during the worst time. So I think you have done amazing, being a new parent is so difficult.

don’t beat yourself up, you know what you need to do and you are now doing it so that’s all that matters x

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
She is absolutely gorgeous @merrymunky . Please don't be hard on yourself. You are getting yourself back on track and looking after your lovely little one at the same time. Its tiring enough being a new parent without D so be proud of yourself. Take care x

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Great to ‘see’ you again @merrymunky.
No sense of failure just changed priorities for a while, and she looks gorgeous.
Now some time for you, and good to hear that the HbA1c was not as bad as you expected.
Welcome back.