enough insulin to open my own pharmacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
i thought that graham had too much usually 3 boxes of levemir and 4 of novorapid!!!😱😱

I get 4 boxes of 5 cartridges whenever I get new insulin, so rarely have more than about 50 cartridges in total. To reduce the space they take up in the fridge, I open each box, discard all but one leaflet, then cut the cartridge strips so each one is separate, and store them in a plastic clip-lock box and a plastic bag - reduces spaces occupied by about half. I also clip the sharp corners off each cartidge strip, so that they won't puncture my pen cases when kept there. Then I put cardboard and paper in recycling box.

I get 4 boxes of 5 cartridges whenever I get new insulin, so rarely have more than about 50 cartridges in total. To reduce the space they take up in the fridge, I open each box, discard all but one leaflet, then cut the cartridge strips so each one is separate, and store them in a plastic clip-lock box and a plastic bag - reduces spaces occupied by about half. I also clip the sharp corners off each cartidge strip, so that they won't puncture my pen cases when kept there. Then I put cardboard and paper in recycling box.

I suppose the only (unlikely) problems with that are knowing the expiry date of each cartridge, and also if you find you get a bad cartridge that may be part of a bad batch, you might have to try four other 'bad' cartridges before finding one from another batch. You could put a note in with the earliest expiry date of the whole lot, I suppose, but not sure what you could do about the latter except maybe keep all cartidges from a batch in a separate plastic bag.

each cartridge does have a batch number on it so you could identify the others that came from the same batch. You can find the batch number next to the expiry date usually.

1 box usually lasts me a month so I don't really ever have more than 1 box of each

Maybe we could have our own pharmacy and simply pass on all the excess stuff or stuff we no longer need instead of relying on the useless service we often get at the real pharmacy. You've given me a giggle with all that insulin, you'll have no space for food!!

This is just stupid abuse of the system if you had to pay for your treatment you would not be keen to waste medication

Completely irresponsible Nothing to boast about

This is just stupid abuse of the system if you had to pay for your treatment you would not be keen to waste medication

oh my god hardly. It's all being used, not wasted at all. How about you think about what you say before you accuse me of 'abusing' the system and 'wasting' my medication, and instead of accusing me then perhaps think that there may be reasons for having so much? 😡

Last edited:
I thought it was obvious enough not to mention that I check the expiry dates each time I take a new cartridge from fridge and select the nearest to expiry.
Agreed supplies should not be wasted, but having lots in the fridge doesn't necessarily mean they'd be wasted.

Agreed supplies should not be wasted, but having lots in the fridge doesn't necessarily mean they'd be wasted.

which was my point EXACTLY. I do not WASTE my insulin, that is irresponsible, and I am just flabbergasted that someone could come on here and accuse me of doing so.

How rude

I thought it was obvious enough not to mention that I check the expiry dates each time I take a new cartridge from fridge and select the nearest to expiry.

My eyesight is too poor to notice that each cartridge has an expiry date!😱😉

Sam said that it is all in date! no mention of wasting insulin so there is no need to be so rude is there?

Sam said that it is all in date! no mention of wasting insulin so there is no need to be so rude is there?

well said katie :D It is indeed all in date and is definitely not being wasted. I have no idea how I have come to have so much, it's likely a backlog from uni when I did used to hoard it so i wouldn't have to keep going to the pharmacy. Abuse of the system? Pah.

🙂

I believe (I could be wrong) Mccuecolin is mostly shocked at the amount in the fridge, and the fact that it's still being ordered on prescription, which could be perseved as a bit wreckless, yes it's all in date but it's not exactly well planned, will it all be in date by the time it is used probably but is there a need for so much? Again this is an example of how different opinions, situations, and requirements can cause "heated debate" or even a cyber arguement!! There is good cause to have a surplus, and I think personally my shock at the amounts is mainly due to the fact that I do not use so much, but I accept others do, and we all operate differently. I hope I haven't offended by saying the above.

Peace out

Rossi🙂

I believe (I could be wrong) Mccuecolin is mostly shocked at the amount in the fridge, and the fact that it's still being ordered on prescription, which could be perseved as a bit wreckless, yes it's all in date but it's not exactly well planned, will it all be in date by the time it is used probably but is there a need for so much? Again this is an example of how different opinions, situations, and requirements can cause "heated debate" or even a cyber arguement!! There is good cause to have a surplus, and I think personally my shock at the amounts is mainly due to the fact that I do not use so much, but I accept others do, and we all operate differently. I hope I haven't offended by saying the above.

Peace out

Rossi🙂

not at all rossi, but as i said previously, it's all backlog from uni which was bunged in the fridge and forgotten about, hence ordering more and then realising yesterday how much was there, and that it was all in date 😱

🙂

peace and loooooooove

the amount in the fridge? The fridge picture is mine. And I haven't got enough yet!

the amount in the fridge? The fridge picture is mine. And I haven't got enough yet!

Fair point I knew I'd get called up on something here! Well in that pic there wasn't enough booze!😉😛

Yes Sam, why do you keep ordering it? You're not a secret insulin drinker, are you?😉 (R Whites, R Whites...🙂)

Fair point I knew I'd get called up on something here! Well in that pic there wasn't enough booze!😉😛

I have nowhere near as much as sam and im actually trying to gather a year's worth haha. My Doc was going to prescribe a year's worth anyway but I would feel a bit weird going to the pharmacy to pick that up lol.

Not enough booze? I'll take a pic of the spirit cupboard 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back