Eating out

Status
Not open for further replies.

david fox

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi all. Looking for advice please. Had my first meal out since being diagnosed with pre diabetes. Could not find anything to eat for starters except somne wholemeal bread, found a chicken dish for mains and had to sit there while all my mates had a desert. Cme out of the resterant starving hungry. Still got 3 more cristmas meale to go to. Way I feel at moment I rather not go. I used to love going out for dinner but not now.

Hi all. Looking for advice please. Had my first meal out since being diagnosed with pre diabetes. Could not find anything to eat for starters except somne wholemeal bread, found a chicken dish for mains and had to sit there while all my mates had a desert. Cme out of the resterant starving hungry. Still got 3 more cristmas meale to go to. Way I feel at moment I rather not go. I used to love going out for dinner but not now.
If you know where you are going then you can check out the menu in advance, I often find starters are easier than deserts, mushrooms, pate, chicken wings, and main courses which are meat or fish which you can ask for extra veg, salad or coleslaw instead of chips, deserts more difficult but profiteroles, strawberries and cream or Crème Brule or just have a coffee. Some places do a mini pudding plus coffee for a fixed price.

What's wrong with a prawn cocktail or garlic mushrooms or pate for starter or soup. I don't understand why you had bread which is high carb when there are so many lower carb options. Main course could be steak with salad and mushrooms and coleslaw, just ask them for no chips or just a very tiny portion. I usually have cheese for dessert, but if they have a chocolate eclair or profiteroles, a small portion of those should be fine for a special occasion.

What's wrong with a prawn cocktail or garlic mushrooms or pate for starter or soup. I don't understand why you had bread which is high carb when there are so many lower carb options. Main course could be steak with salad and mushrooms and coleslaw, just ask them for no chips or just a very tiny portion. I usually have cheese for dessert, but if they have a chocolate eclair or profiteroles, a small portion of those should be fine for a special occasion.
I would have had cheese for desert yesterday but balked at the price of £11.50 for the cheese plate.

I would have had cheese for desert yesterday but balked at the price of £11.50 for the cheese plate.

That’s Organic Unicorn Cheese for you. Unicorns are notoriously hard to milk 😱 :rofl:

Ah sorry to hear you found it difficult to find things you fancied and thought would be suitable for your diabetes. It can be so tricky to make BG-friendly choices in some places :(

But it does get easier! And after a while you’ll fall into a way of sifting the options, and spotting the things that you will enjoy, will find satisfying, and which while not perhaps being a regular BG wobble, will give you BG results that you feel are acceptable for a special occasion.

It might help to remember for these special occasions, that fats will not raise your blood glucose levels, and can help slow down the absorption of carbohydrates eaten along with them (within reason)

Were you looking for low fat choices as well as lower carb/low sugar?

Sorry to hear you felt hungry and a bit fed up @david fox It is weird going out for meals and having to think more. The trick is to get an idea of what will be on offer (Google for the menu online, ask friends, etc), then choose carefully.

Lots of starters do contain bread or toast but you don’t have to eat it, eg if you had a prawn cocktail with Melba toast, just leave the toast. If you’re not having many carbs with your main meal, then order a green side salad or extra green veg. To make up for missing dessert, have cheese or a special coffee, eg coffee with cream and brandy (if not driving).

have ...... a special coffee, eg coffee with cream and brandy (if not driving).
But be aware that in order to get that special coffee with cream "floating" on the coffee and spirit, sugar is invariably added to the coffee and can be generous to be sure the cream floats. The spirit usually masks the sweetness.

But be aware that in order to get that special coffee with cream "floating" on the coffee and spirit, sugar is invariably added to the coffee and can be generous to be sure the cream floats. The spirit usually masks the sweetness.

I just ask for mine with no sugar and they bring me a black coffee with brandy or whatever and a separate jug of cream to pour on/in 🙂

Ugh - I certainly wouldn't want melba toast with prawn cocktail thanks, however if it's proper melba toast the bread's been rolled so thin before it even sees the oven it should hardly score anything in the way of carbs anyway. Gimme half a slice of brown b&b with mine or no bread at all. Or, soup again with or without a roll. Dinner, whatever meat and veg. Heavy on the veg other than the spuds please. If mash and roast, 3 roast, no mash. Pud an unadorned ice cream please. The one pre-planned pre-Xmas meal we have booked the only pud with ice cream offered is chocolate brownie with so I've ordered that, so will either eat the brownie, or not, depending on how I feel by the time we get to pud.

Last comment - any and all alcohol LOWERS the BG anyway diabetic or not and Oh yes, I do like a drop of that, thanks!

If you know where you are going then you can check out the menu in advance, I often find starters are easier than deserts, mushrooms, pate, chicken wings, and main courses which are meat or fish which you can ask for extra veg, salad or coleslaw instead of chips, deserts more difficult but profiteroles, strawberries and cream or Crème Brule or just have a coffee. Some places do a mini pudding plus coffee for a fixed price.
Roast veg and halloumi fries are tasty. Also mushrooms. Even if they are starters, just ask them with your main meal. Starters, again mushrooms, prawn cocktail, chicken wings etc. I don’t eat the deserts because I’m usually full. But if you haven’t eaten bread, yes a mini desert or a sorbet If I have chinese, I have a non sweet dish and order veg/pak choi or bean sprouts. Also takeaway often choose chinese omelette which are tasty

thanks so much for that. Did not know I could have Profiteroles. Thats great. Do not loike fish or Tea Or Coffie or Pate or Strawberries or Creme Brule but chicken can eat it all day.

Ow thanks so much for that. Hate Prawn cocktail and garlic and Pate and soup. Steak sounds great. Did not know I could eat that.

Did not know I could have Profiteroles.
None of these are black and white things. Profiteroles are often less carby/sugary than we first think because the inside is often quite airy cream. I think the texture changes how it feels. (I find the same with milk in coffee: there's something more satisfying in a Cappuccino compared to the same espresso and milk combined.)

Ah sorry to hear you found it difficult to find things you fancied and thought would be suitable for your diabetes. It can be so tricky to make BG-friendly choices in some places :(

But it does get easier! And after a while you’ll fall into a way of sifting the options, and spotting the things that you will enjoy, will find satisfying, and which while not perhaps being a regular BG wobble, will give you BG results that you feel are acceptable for a special occasion.

It might help to remember for these special occasions, that fats will not raise your blood glucose levels, and can help slow down the absorption of carbohydrates eaten along with them (within reason)

Were you looking for low fat choices as well as lower carb/low sugar?
I was because I have been told my Colestreol levels are high to.

Roast veg and halloumi fries are tasty. Also mushrooms. Even if they are starters, just ask them with your main meal. Starters, again mushrooms, prawn cocktail, chicken wings etc. I don’t eat the deserts because I’m usually full. But if you haven’t eaten bread, yes a mini desert or a sorbet If I have chinese, I have a non sweet dish and order veg/pak choi or bean sprouts. Also takeaway often choose chinese omelette which are tasty
Thanks Hate Omlette and bean sprouts but mushrooms chicken lovely. Do nit like sorbet.
no problem there. I do not drink and also do not like tea or coffiee.

Ugh - I certainly wouldn't want melba toast with prawn cocktail thanks, however if it's proper melba toast the bread's been rolled so thin before it even sees the oven it should hardly score anything in the way of carbs anyway. Gimme half a slice of brown b&b with mine or no bread at all. Or, soup again with or without a roll. Dinner, whatever meat and veg. Heavy on the veg other than the spuds please. If mash and roast, 3 roast, no mash. Pud an unadorned ice cream please. The one pre-planned pre-Xmas meal we have booked the only pud with ice cream offered is chocolate brownie with so I've ordered that, so will either eat the brownie, or not, depending on how I feel by the time we get to pud.

Last comment - any and all alcohol LOWERS the BG anyway diabetic or not and Oh yes, I do like a drop of that, thanks!
Thanks so much. Good advice there. i do not drink alcohol so do not have to think about that. Cheers.

Maybe it would be helpful if you tell us what meals you would choose if you didn't have diabetes, so that we know what you like and then maybe we could make some suggestions as to how you could adjust them.... So what would you normally have for a starter, main course and dessert? Also, what do you drink with your meal?

How high is your cholesterol and have they prescribed you statins for it?
My cholesterol has actually reduced from 5.2 to 4.5 despite eating a lot more fat, most of which comes from cheese, cream and fatty meat, so I don't necessarily buy into the dietary advice about cholesterol. It has been steady at that level for over 4 years and I eat a lot of fat, but I have cut my carbs significantly and I make sure to have plenty of fibre, particularly soluble fibre, which is important I believe for helping to reduce cholesterol. However, just like diabetes, everyone is different and you have to find what works for you as an individual.

Maybe it would be helpful if you tell us what meals you would choose if you didn't have diabetes, so that we know what you like and then maybe we could make some suggestions as to how you could adjust them.... So what would you normally have for a starter, main course and dessert? Also, what do you drink with your meal?

How high is your cholesterol and have they prescribed you statins for it?
My cholesterol has actually reduced from 5.2 to 4.5 despite eating a lot more fat, most of which comes from cheese, cream and fatty meat, so I don't necessarily buy into the dietary advice about cholesterol. It has been steady at that level for over 4 years and I eat a lot of fat, but I have cut my carbs significantly and I make sure to have plenty of fibre, particularly soluble fibre, which is important I believe for helping to reduce cholesterol. However, just like diabetes, everyone is different and you have to find what works for you as an individual.
Hi. No have not been prescribed Statins but was told I have to go back in two months two see if my levels have gone down. if not then they will prescribe them. My levels are 5.7. My normal choice would be. Diet coke. Potato skins or cheesey chips, Mains would be burger and twice fried chips or steak or lots of differant meats. Pudding is usually choclate fudge cake maybe two slices. or choclate gatto cake. In fact I still have diet coke. or anything with choclate. Choclate sunday as well. cheers.And obviously no fruit or veg at all. Did not do anything green.

Hi. No have not been prescribed Statins but was told I have to go back in two months two see if my levels have gone down. if not then they will prescribe them. My levels are 5.7. My normal choice would be. Diet coke. Potato skins or cheesey chips, Mains would be burger and twice fried chips or steak or lots of differant meats. Pudding is usually choclate fudge cake maybe two slices. or choclate gatto cake. In fact I still have diet coke. or anything with choclate. Choclate sunday as well. cheers.And obviously no fruit or veg at all. Did not do anything green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back