Eat Well Plate, is it bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, not having consciously eaten to the "Eat Well Plate" my diet was (in reflection) pretty much along those lines, then I got diagnosed as a T2😱..... So much for eating "Healthy".... Now days, cutting the carbs, I actually consider that I'm eating a healthy diet with a lot more veggies (have to replace the carbs with something right?)

Oddly enough the products I looked at were from one of DUK's sponsors...Tesco's or have I got that wrong?

No idea! I think the Tesco thing was last year and they are in to British Heart Foundation now? We’ve only got tiny Tesco’s near us so we almost never use them. That plain low fat yoghurt seems weird though doesn’t it, alongside the others.

This Tesco one seems more standard: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/258170431

7g per 100g.

The other one you found is a mystery!

When you originally brought it up, and asked Hannah about how low fat (with extra carbs) fit into the newer low carb suggestion from DUK, I may have misunderstood, but I thought you said you had compared various products in the past and found several to be problematically loaded with carbs. I’ve seen that mentioned by several people over the years, but I’ve not seen any actual examples - I was just intrigued as to what you’d found when you looked.

Last edited:
Thanks Bubbsie - that 17g one looks very different - it would be interesting to see if that had sugar added (even though it was listed as plain). Measuring in food cups sounds like it might be from the US - as myfitnesspal info often is
An American cup is approx 250g, so 17g per cup is 6.8g per 100g, so in line with other findings. Doing that calculation on the other ones mentioned makes them seem extremely low in carb, even for full fat. My full fat Greek yogurt from Sainsburys is 5.4g per 100g, which, reversing the maths, would be 13g per cup.
(A cup of yogurt is about twice as much as I'd eat at one sitting.)

No idea! I think the Tesco thing was last year and they are in to British Heart Foundation now? We’ve only got tiny Tesco’s near us so we almost never use them. That plain low fat yoghurt seems weird though doesn’t it, alongside the others.

This Tesco one seems more standard: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/258170431

7g per 100g.

The other one you found is a mystery!

When you originally brought it up, and asked Hannah about how low fat (with extra carbs) fit into the newer low carb suggestion from DUK, I may have misunderstood, but I thought you said you had compared various products in the past and found several to be problematically loaded with carbs. I’ve seen that mentioned by several people over the years, but I’ve not seen any actual examples - I was just intrigued as to what you’d found when you looked.

It's a myth.
Many years ago, low fat did have a bit more sugar.
Now it doesn't, and it's a bit of a problem to the high fat diet advocates.
Hence the continual "fake news" on low fat having to be high carb.

All we can do is read the labels, and make up our own minds.

There was comments about "reversing". Someone said they no longer have diabetes. *sighs* This is an area when the conversation can easily go down hill when trying is discus the value of various treatments.

I've to listen it properly yet as I was doing something else when it was live. From what I got they said the generally healthy living advice/eat well plate doesn't include any comments of what diabetics need to do. That's my issue with it. There's no management of carbs ether, you just get to eat loads.

*sigh*
Reversed mine.
Done that, been there.
It can be done, you just need an open mind to the possibility that diabetes isn't a life sentence to low carb forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back