Dx today vegetarian, on a low budget and don’t want to starve!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The popcorn bars we have are “fibre one” it’s worth looking at other snack bars too as some come in around the same 10g of carbs. Anything prepackaged will have the carb info on the packet - you’re looking at total carbs not just the sugar content (although high sugar is best avoided)

Cooked pasta is roughly 1/3 carbs so if you weigh your portion before putting the sauce on you get a good idea of the carbs you’re having.

If you make a quick omelette with a bit of soy sauce in it and chop it up that’s nice quick protein with your stir fries (you can just scramble an egg into the stir fry but I prefer the texture of the chopped up omelette)

If you look on the back of squash bottles it’ll tell you the sugar/carb content. Robinsons no added sugar has a tiny bit of actual orange juice but it’s massively concentrated so once diluted is sugar free enough, lots of reasons sugar free drinks aren’t good for teeth because of acidity but there’s no reason to avoid them otherwise. Any drinks with sweeteners in can upset your stomach if you drink loads but it doesn’t sound like that’s a problem for you.

If you really want to commit to carb counting there are various apps and websites or the carbs and cals book. If you’re only doing it short term you can find most things by looking on packets or just googling but you do tend to have to weigh things. If you know your usual carb total it can help you see where things can be cut easily.

Watch out for sweetcorn, as it is not a vegetable but a grain and is quite high carb.
Can you adapt your cooking area to having a place to sit down?
I have been using a pressure cooker to cut down the cooking time and to save money on the amount of gas. I find that swede cooked in the pressure cooker is very easy to mash, and it makes a nice bubble and squeak next morning. I tend to cook the whole thing rather than just part, as it keeps in the fridge and is a lot lower in carbs than potato.

Hi @LucysLostSister you said sometimes you have scrambled eggs for breakfast - that's a great low carb breakfast if you have them with maybe some mushrooms but either not having bread, or having less than you used to. I often make myself kind of crustless quiche for breakfast now - veg (e.g. peppers, tomatoes) in a lasagne type tray, egg & milk mixture, sometimes sprinkle cheese on top then bake. I tend to make a big enough pan to do 3 or 4 breakfasts and keep it in the fridge. (I mostly eat breakfast at work so this is an easy way to take a low carb breakfast with me.) Sometimes I feel like fried eggs if I am home but I usually now have one slice of toast with them rather than 2 (and Marmite because I love Marmite soldiers with fried eggs!)

It sounds like you have gathered some ideas for reducing carbs in your other meals. You mentioned that you do like soup - I often make a batch of soup also, a quick one can be made with pre-prepared veg as you said you struggle to prep veg (e.g. frozen diced onions fried for a couple of minutes, add carrot batons and stock and cook until carrots are soft, blend then optionally add some spinach and stir to wilt, and add a little cream or soft garlic & green cheese and stir through). I store it either in the fridge for 3 days or so or put portions into small plastic tubs and into the freezer if I have made more or I'm wanting different meals not the same lunch for days in a row. Some days I just have soup, some days I have one slice of toast or a couple of crackers or rice cakes with it - less carbs than I would have had before. I have also made spinach soup without bothering with the carrots before, that's even quicker to make but my blender is starting to struggle to get the spinach blended as fine as when I first made it. (I'm not sure if you can manage a blender?)

@LucysLostSister have a look at Diet Doctor: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/vegetarian
I doubt any single site with give you all the answers you seek, but you can pick up bits and pieces from several places to make a decent go of it.

It's never easy to make changes, and they don't have to be all at once. Sometimes we have to pick our way along a path, until we find something that works.

@Thebearcametoo is that 10g carbs per bar? Found the popcorn/fibre one bars on asda. They look a good option as an occasional treat. I find it easier to weigh pasta before cooking, dried, so I would appreciate any guidance on a suitable portion size please? I was thinking maybe 50g? Was having 75g when weight loss was going well and I was on 1400 cals a day.

I like the egg/stir fry suggestion. If I’m having scrambled eggs for breakfast/lunch I don’t have bread or toast with it, purely personal preference.

It’s Sainsbury’s no added sugar squash I have in at the moment. I worked out tonight I have 35ml squash made up to 800mls in an old blender bottle (blender broke still got bottles). Figures they give are “typical analysis” for once diluted which I think is really unhelpful. Just say what the raw product provides? Anyway “typical analysis” says carbs and sugars 0.5g is that ok?

Maths is really not my strong suit.

@Drummer yea I treat sweetcorn and peas like a carb, if I’m having them with a meal I won’t have another carb like rice or potatoes.

Can’t adapt cooking area for sitting wouldn’t be safe. Some days I can do a lot, so I’ll batch cook, make soup etc those days, it’s the days I can’t that will be tricky.

Don’t have a pressure cooker but have a slow cooker I use mainly for casseroles need to put it to more use (energy use as much as this). I microwave a lot as obviously that’s quick and easy. Also as the “pots” are lighter on bad days can’t cope with heavy pans.

Soup, well I’m a Scot so kinda soup usually on the go though weirdly I haven’t made much this winter. I have certain recipes but also “throw in whatever veg needs using up” sometimes. When my daughter was younger was a great way to get veg she “didn’t like” into her.

Tried looking at diet dr today didn’t like it at all! Lots of reasons.

It’s Sainsbury’s no added sugar squash I have in at the moment. I worked out tonight I have 35ml squash made up to 800mls in an old blender bottle (blender broke still got bottles). Figures they give are “typical analysis” for once diluted which I think is really unhelpful. Just say what the raw product provides? Anyway “typical analysis” says carbs and sugars 0.5g is that ok?

It annoys me when products give nutrition per 100g cooked product, weight on packet for raw product, and no indication what the raw to cooked weight ratio is too...

I had a look at the Sainsbury's info on their website - they're diluting 1 part squash : 19 parts water, you're doing 1:22. So the less than 0.5g carbs they say is in 250ml would be in 300ml for you - i.e. your 800ml bottle will have just under 3 "servings". Which will make the carbs minimal from squash even if you have 3 of those 800ml bottles a day.

@Thebearcametoo is that 10g carbs per bar? Found the popcorn/fibre one bars on asda. They look a good option as an occasional treat. I find it easier to weigh pasta before cooking, dried, so I would appreciate any guidance on a suitable portion size please? I was thinking maybe 50g? Was having 75g when weight loss was going well and I was on 1400 cals a day.

I like the egg/stir fry suggestion. If I’m having scrambled eggs for breakfast/lunch I don’t have bread or toast with it, purely personal preference.

Maths is really not my strong suit.

@Drummer yea I treat sweetcorn and peas like a carb, if I’m having them with a meal I won’t have another carb like rice or potatoes.

Can’t adapt cooking area for sitting wouldn’t be safe. Some days I can do a lot, so I’ll batch cook, make soup etc those days, it’s the days I can’t that will be tricky.

Don’t have a pressure cooker but have a slow cooker I use mainly for casseroles need to put it to more use (energy use as much as this). I microwave a lot as obviously that’s quick and easy. Also as the “pots” are lighter on bad days can’t cope with heavy pans.

Soup, well I’m a Scot so kinda soup usually on the go though weirdly I haven’t made much this winter. I have certain recipes but also “throw in whatever veg needs using up” sometimes. When my daughter was younger was a great way to get veg she “didn’t like” into her.

Tried looking at diet dr today didn’t like it at all! Lots of reasons.

Have you tried a perching stool in the kitchen? Some look quite utility, but others are more stylish. When my Mum had back and mobility issues it really helped her continue to be independent.

I see a couple of posts up you didn't like Diet Doctor at all? That's fine, not everyone does, but if you could give a hint or two why not, we might be able to pick out some alternatives.

It annoys me when products give nutrition per 100g cooked product, weight on packet for raw product, and no indication what the raw to cooked weight ratio is too...

I had a look at the Sainsbury's info on their website - they're diluting 1 part squash : 19 parts water, you're doing 1:22. So the less than 0.5g carbs they say is in 250ml would be in 300ml for you - i.e. your 800ml bottle will have just under 3 "servings". Which will make the carbs minimal from squash even if you have 3 of those 800ml bottles a day.
Yes it is annoying. Thanks for doing the maths for me so looks like my squash is ok?

Have you tried a perching stool in the kitchen? Some look quite utility, but others are more stylish. When my Mum had back and mobility issues it really helped her continue to be independent.

I see a couple of posts up you didn't like Diet Doctor at all? That's fine, not everyone does, but if you could give a hint or two why not, we might be able to pick out some alternatives.
Don’t care about looks, but I don’t think that would work for me I’ll look into it though. It’s more being upright for any length of time on bad days is quite painful.

Diet dr I didn’t like as I didn’t like their hard sell approach (I started the free trial questions, within half hour had 7 emails!), reviews which I then thought to check a lot of people saying they were charged after they cancelled free trial and hadn’t been able to resolve this, some were charged for 2 or 3 months despite cancelling and never got refunds, the recipes didn’t appeal as not to my taste, used expensive ingredients I would have trouble getting, too much scratch cooking of recipes hard to break down to one portion and/or couldn’t be frozen, very heavy on the eggs for veggie recipes which I like eggs but if I were eating them that often I’d get constipated and thoroughly sick of eating eggs! Seems a very American style? In terms of ingredients and measurements.

Don’t care about looks, but I don’t think that would work for me I’ll look into it though. It’s more being upright for any length of time on bad days is quite painful.

Diet dr I didn’t like as I didn’t like their hard sell approach (I started the free trial questions, within half hour had 7 emails!), reviews which I then thought to check a lot of people saying they were charged after they cancelled free trial and hadn’t been able to resolve this, some were charged for 2 or 3 months despite cancelling and never got refunds, the recipes didn’t appeal as not to my taste, used expensive ingredients I would have trouble getting, too much scratch cooking of recipes hard to break down to one portion and/or couldn’t be frozen, very heavy on the eggs for veggie recipes which I like eggs but if I were eating them that often I’d get constipated and thoroughly sick of eating eggs! Seems a very American style? In terms of ingredients and measurements.

It is a very hard sell.

I have never paid for Diet Doctor, or done a trial. I found there was a lot of information available for free.

Anyway, plenty more out there. Just another example, from a search of “easy low carb for one”.

I’ve a notes folder on my phone I’m popping links to recipes I like on under “diabetic” heading but I’m also looking through old recipe favourites and popping the ones would be suitable in that folder too.

In case of use to others and to get feedback if I’m thinking correctly linking here too

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/easy-cheesy-frittata - I use quorn or squeaky bean “ham”

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/ratatouille I’ve made a few personal tweaks along the years but this is the basic recipe I use. Asda had an offer on certain veg so I was able to stock up for this & soup ingredients.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/italian-aubergine-traybake I could omit the bread here

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/mushroom-stroganoff again has been tweaked usually serve with noodles could be a small portion of or courgette ribbons would actually go lovely with this.

Yes it is annoying. Thanks for doing the maths for me so looks like my squash is ok?
It seems so to me. I don't know if you have a specific carb amount you are aiming for or just hoping to discover how much you can eat, but I don't think the squash will make much difference either way

Literally just started all this in last 24-48 hours with zero guidance so far from nhs except “change your diet”, yea that’s helpful!

So I’m reading and learning here and experimenting I guess?

@LucysLostSister sorry to read about your recent diabetes diagnosis and struggles with your diet.
Safly, I cannot offer much advice as Type 1 is a different conditio.
But I wanted to send virtual hugs and say I understand that dietdoctor is not ideal and suggesting you spend money on additional furniture (kitchen stool) when you have said funds are limited is not very helpful.
I believe if you believe in yourself, there is a solution for all of us. Looks as if you have some ideas already. I am sure you will find more and not starve despite yoir budget.
Take care.

suggesting you spend money on additional furniture (kitchen stool) when you have said funds are limited is not very helpful
You don’t usually buy these things yourself, you can be supplied with them through occupational therapy. Or can apply for disability benefits to help with ongoing costs of disability like equipment or carers to help with everyday tasks etc.

Already on disability benefits, not a profiligate person and already struggling to keep head above water just with normal cost of living. As for help from occ therapy etc well been on list 18 months so I’m sure it’ll be any day now.

Great news, they should help with aids

Hello, not trying to advise you on what to eat or not, also understand you are veggie. My daughter has been vegetarian/vegan on and off for years, partly due to health and animal welfare issues and partly just a taste preference. Do you eat and/or like eggs? Do you include any anima products at all? Fish, dairy? What about beans, seeds, nuts and pulses, lentils, chickpeas, pearl barley, pine nuts etc.. some things seem expensive to buy but you use such small amounts that they last for ages. It’s also difficult when you have limited storage space, agree. Perhaps pick one thing you have not tried each week and give it a go. If you don’t like it, never get it again but out taste change as we age so something you disliked as a child may now turn out to be your favourite. I hated olives for example when younger but now add them to almost every meal. Good luck x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back