• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

DUK Coronavirus Vaccinations Q&A ZOOM session notes

Amity Island

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Question - if you took a hypodermic needle of the same dimensions that they use for Covid jabs, and got a medic to plunge it into that muscle in the arm/shoulder at some random time - would your BG increase in a similar way as it did with the jab?

How does your body react to trauma? Mine reacted with needing 3x the amount of insulin for a while (like weeks and weeks) after I broke my kneecap.

It's all TRAUMA and yes the BG does increase !
Hi TW,

I'm not sure it works like that when it comes to adverse reactions. What I mean is, you can't say it only happened because they were diabetic. You cant ignore existing illnesses, conditions medication when deciding whether to report it or not. The baseline is whatever condition someone was in before the injection and how they were after it.

Robin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
We’ve been told it’s a common side effect from the jab, to expect a raised temperature, headache, and other sort of symptoms you’d expect from getting an actual virus. OH had his jab yesterday, and was shivery last night, and feverish this morning. If I was experiencing a reaction like that, as someone with diabetes I'd expect my Blood Glucose to go a bit astray, it comes with the territory. Worth flagging up to Newbies, though, who may not have experienced being ill since their diagnosis, so don’t know what to expect.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
That was exactly my problem when I broke my knee, Robin I stopped falling over and grazing my knees when I was about 7, and falling off my roller skates and bruising my hips when I was c 11 - so despite being T1 for 45+ years, never really experiencing traumatic injuries to myself since diagnosis.

mikeyB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As I’ve said on another thread, a bit of a temperature and headache is perfectly normal after a vaccination, it’s caused by your body producing antibodies. You can hardly call that an adverse reaction. It’s just a minor discomfort, Covid isn’t. Simple choice.

Lucy Honeychurch

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I didn't get a temperature or headache, just a sore arm. But I did get lower than normal blood sugar levels.

Chatty Cathy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I havehad higher than normal blood sugar since my vaccine no other side effects, anyone else have any?

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
anyone else have any?
A friend of mine (non-diabetic) who had the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine because of her work had almost all the side effects possible, from the sounds of it. So pains, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, etc. (Seemed a bit annoyed that I'd just had a sore arm for a couple of days.)

Toucan

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Bruce Stephens, like your friend I also had similar side effects from the AstraZeneca - nausea, severe headache, dizziness, aches and fatigue. It switched in about 10 hours after the jab and switched out again just as suddenly 24 hours later. I'm OK now although still a bit below par and more fatigued than normal, and blood sugars all over the place, - But this is probably due to getting a bit stressed about it all.

My husband had the Pfizer jab with no side effects at all.
I think it as much as we say about Diabetes, we are all different and have a variety of reactions/ no reactions.

I hesitated about posting this, as I didn't want to worry people about the vaccine, as it is so important for us all. On reflection though it would have helped me to know that my re-action was not unusual.

Bruce Stephens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
On reflection though it would have helped me to know that my re-action was not unusual.
I think it is unusual, but not uniquely so. I think my aunt had significant reactions to her vaccination whereas my mother had almost none.

My impression is these are somewhat like typical vaccines, but maybe a bit worse. But it's also maybe that we're paying more attention to these (I guess some people find the flu vaccine hits them for a week or so too, but we don't talk about that much).

Overall, though, given that both of these are pretty new kinds of vaccine (I think the Oxford platform has been used for Ebola before but not many people will have had that) the side effects are surprisingly minimal.