Don't They Teach English In School Anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
20+ years ago went to Florida on holiday. Somewhere we went, lunchtime came, we both needed a drink so went to the bar by the swimming pool. I fancied a tomato juice and asked if they had any Worcester sauce. Blank look. Lea & Perrins? I tried. Yes said she and handed me the bottle then asked me what I had called it, I replied, Worcester sauce, just didn't voice the 'shire' bit at the end of the word. She thought I was nuts, since you don't pronounce it like I do, apparently you have to say it War-cess (like in cesspit) - ter- shy-er. No you don't luv - you don't live there - we do - so it's us that pronounce it properly, not you!

Was a fib cos we lived in Kidderminster not Worcester .....

They just won't be told cos they're that thick, end of.
To be honest, as a non-native speaker, when I read Worcestershire I assumed the pronunciation would be the one that this Florida lady used. After 4 years living in England I know how it actually sounds, but still struggle to say it myself. Sometimes guests want it and I go to the kitchen like "hey chef, do we have any 'woster'... you know, THAT sauce" 😳 :D

To be honest, as a non-native speaker, when I read Worcestershire I assumed the pronunciation would be the one that this Florida lady used. After 4 years living in England I know how it actually sounds, but still struggle to say it myself. Sometimes guests want it and I go to the kitchen like "hey chef, do we have any 'woster'... you know, THAT sauce" 😳 :D

There are plenty of English place names that seem almost deliberately out to get non-locals.

We holidayed a couple of years when the kids were small near Torrington in Devon, which is close to Woolfardisworthy (pronounced Woolsery, obviously!)

Cholmondely - pronounced 'Chumlee'. Random words like in a quiz about antiques the other day giving definitions of words and asking for their names, one was 'netsuke' which is pronounced 'netski' but as thats a Japanese word anyway and don't know any Japanese people to ask - who actually knows whether that's right or not!

Cholmondely - pronounced 'Chumlee'. Random words like in a quiz about antiques the other day giving definitions of words and asking for their names, one was 'netsuke' which is pronounced 'netski' but as thats a Japanese word anyway and don't know any Japanese people to ask - who actually knows whether that's right or not!
Yes TW I live pretty close to “ Chumley” and a place I grew up was called Ulgham pronounced “ Uffam”

We visit a place called Laughterton - pronounced "Lortertun" rather than "Lafter tun", even though darn sarf most people say 'laugh' as "larf" rather than as "laff' like wot I do. The specific place we visit is in our motorhome with a gang of good friends hence we always intend to enjoy as much laughter as available cos we arrive with the intention of enjoying the place and the company - so I always reckon it ought to be pronounced "laughter ton" because we hopefully get a ton of laughter - whatever anyone else thinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back