Does porridge put up your glucose level.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite an achievement by todays standards, many don't even "make it" across the road to pick up a takeaway.

What jams are you making? And have you ever made marmalade? Like paddington bear, i've always like marmalade.

Well we don’t eat a lot of jam to be honest, so one or two batches is usually sufficient as part of the onset of autumn.

Starts with spiced Green Tomato Chutney at the end of the summer (and absolute must-have). 3 month maturation time means the new batch will be just ready at Christmas when the last lot has run out.

Then as the blackberries come into full swing we’ll often go and forage some and make a batch of bramble seedless - about 5 or 6 1lb jars.

Last year we missed the brambles, so I went for plum jam, but most of that has now gone, so I’ve picked another bag of jam sugar and will make something else - might try Apricot if I can find some affordable fruit?

Never made marmalade (my Mum used to), but I find Frank Cooper’s Original or Vintage has a suitably chunky-peel homemade feel. Can’t abide fine cut marmalade!

Well we don’t eat a lot of jam to be honest, so one or two batches is usually sufficient as part of the onset of autumn.

Starts with spiced Green Tomato Chutney at the end of the summer (and absolute must-have). 3 month maturation time means the new batch will be just ready at Christmas when the last lot has run out.

Then as the blackberries come into full swing we’ll often go and forage some and make a batch of bramble seedless - about 5 or 6 1lb jars.

Last year we missed the brambles, so I went for plum jam, but most of that has now gone, so I’ve picked another bag of jam sugar and will make something else - might try Apricot if I can find some affordable fruit?

Never made marmalade (my Mum used to), but I find Frank Cooper’s Original or Vintage has a suitably chunky-peel homemade feel. Can’t abide fine cut marmalade!
It's great that you make your own produce! Brings back echoes of past times. It was how it was done then. A visit to any national trust house will reveal the extent of home made produce and preserves. Pickled, salted or sugared.

We have a quince at our allotment and as it is high in pectin and produces a huge amount of fruit I use it as a base for marmalade, orange, lemon, lime and ginger.
I used to make quite a lot of jam from various fruits (home grown) but now we eat so little of it I just freeze to fruit to use as fruit for crumble or just on it's own as it is usually plenty sweet enough without adding all that sugar.

My spare fruit gets made in fruit wines.
Even got a pumpkin one on the go at the moment.

Hi
I have type 2 diabetes and I wear a Dexcom 1 monitor.
I have just gone onto insulin and when I have porridge for breakfast my glucose levels go sky high.
Can anybody explain this as I’ve always considered porridge as good.
In the beginning of my journey I had porridge for breakfast to help with my high cholesterol, it did raise it but I also had banana with my porridge. I changed to yoghurt and berries, but recently have had porridge again with little impact on my BG since losing 5 stone, so I think it may be something you can reintroduce later and check again. I am happy with my yoghurt but sometimes like to have porridge on other days.

In the beginning of my journey I had porridge for breakfast to help with my high cholesterol, it did raise it but I also had banana with my porridge. I changed to yoghurt and berries, but recently have had porridge again with little impact on my BG since losing 5 stone, so I think it may be something you can reintroduce later and check again. I am happy with my yoghurt but sometimes like to have porridge on other days.
It suggests that the weight loss has resulted in a normalisation of metabolism and hence ability to tolerate carbs well. This is a deeper outcome than merely reducing bg by low carbing and calling that remission. I think this is my situation too but I am still experimenting with carb intake to get a clearer picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back