Does porridge put up your glucose level.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is good carb no doubt about it, helps lower bp & cholesterol as it contains a fibre called beta glucan one reason why I like it each morning as its great start to day ahead.
It certainly worked for me in lowering my BP and Cholesterol, both are now at an acceptable level and now the highlight of my day is getting up for my rather to large bowl of porridge in the morning.

OP is not @Andy62 but @mikdod2000 , who stated in#1 that he has just gone onto insulin (type unspecified).
I realised that seconds after posting - but then couldn't immediately find the right thread again and thought Oh well, someone's sure to point out my error! by which time husband asked for my help with something that he didn't know how to do and I couldn't remember either cos it's been so long since I've needed to use the thing ....... then needed to cook dinner ...... Anyway, apologies.

But then it is not really porridge.
Not surprising muesli is higher carbs than just oats as it usually has lots of other things added like dried fruit, dates, seeds, nuts and most likely some sugar.
Although my GP who told me not to eat porridge but advised muesli...ahhhm

Last edited:
I suppose really one should compare cooked oats with uncooked, as in not actually 'museli' which of course does come with 'other stuff'. I have a no-added sugar nutty museli, but it has raisins and dates as well as nuts.

It does seem divisive! I guess,as you say, we just have to experiement with ourselves and see whether its 'safe' or 'jam'!!

what I like most about it, I've had it for breakfast for years and years, is that museli fills me up very well - I just don't get hunger pangs at 11 am (Winnie the Pooh's dangerous 'time for a little something'!!)

I suppose really one should compare cooked oats with uncooked, as in not actually 'museli' which of course does come with 'other stuff'. I have a no-added sugar nutty museli, but it has raisins and dates as well as nuts.
6g carb
It does seem divisive! I guess,as you say, we just have to experiement with ourselves and see whether its 'safe' or 'jam'!!

what I like most about it, I've had it for breakfast for years and years, is that museli fills me up very well - I just don't get hunger pangs at 11 am (Winnie the Pooh's dangerous 'time for a little something'!!)
I get Keto Hana granola which is only 9g carb per 100g but is expensive so I mix 50/50 with Lizi's low sugar granola which makes an average of just less than 30g carb per 100g so my 20g portion on Greek yogurt and berries is only 6g carbs

I've not heard of that, so shall take a looksee!

My local Waitrose used to sell (might still do?) a wonderful breakfast food in the cereal/museli section called something I can't remember but the thing was it was claimed to be 'Paleolithic' (ie, pre-cereal agriculture). It was absolutely devastatingly delicious....but though it might not have had cereal/Starch, it was very sweet (hence being delicious) so probably stuffed full of honey (plus nuts etc).

It was very expensive, but gorgeous, and I used to spoon it over my museli as a treat at weekends. Or just eat it by the spoonful...............!

I have golden syrup on mine. Just increase insulin by one unit pre-meal to allow for the extra carbs.

They are whole oats mixed with water, sweetener sprinkled over and with oat milk. I found your reply very helpful.
Hi,

It would be worth trying (initially as a one off experiment one morning) the oats with whole milk to see if this has a slower, longer release of carbs. Then another morning trying semi skimmed. The key thing about managing diabetes is it's very personal and requires lots of trials and testing. I'm type 1, but I did keep a diary in the early days to try and establish the best foods and bolus timings to flatten the curve. With the dexcom, you are in a very advantageous position.

Hi,

It would be worth trying (initially as a one off experiment one morning) the oats with whole milk to see if this has a slower, longer release of carbs. Then another morning trying semi skimmed. The key thing about managing diabetes is it's very personal and requires lots of trials and testing. I'm type 1, but I did keep a diary in the early days to try and establish the best foods and bolus timings to flatten the curve. With the dexcom, you are in a very advantageous position.

I have porridge for breakfast my glucose levels go sky high
I found that anything grain/oat based send my blood sugars stratospheric. Stopped eating them and in fact gave up on breakfast entirely.
Had you tried dietary changes before staring on insulin?

Thanks, very helpful. I’ll try keeping a diary and also whole milk vs semi skimmed
Keep us posted. You might find changing milk makes little difference, but until you try you won't know. Also worth mentioning, sometimes the answer is in mixing foods to get the result you want. White toast on it's own will likely cause a sudden spike, but cheese on toast will give a very different result.

I have porridge (40g dry oats) with 250mls of semi-skimmed milk plus 40g of prunes plus 10g of chia, all preceded by 15g of cheddar. I have closely monitored the impact on several occasions. In all cases my bg is around 6 at the start, rises to no more than 7.8 and is back to 6 or less after an hour and a half. I believe it’s owed to having achieved remission quickly with substantial weight loss and thereby recovering normal first phase response.

I find the discussion re prebolus interesting, I’m on a basal/bolus regime using Toujeo and Fiasp, although Fiasp is rapid acting I to find that I have to inject up to 20mins before eating to prevent spikes, my nemesis is jam!! Even half a teaspoon on jam sends my levels rocketing, so a very rare treat, even so called low sugar jams are bad!

Last edited:
I find the discussion re prebolus interesting, I’m on a basal/bolus regime using Toujeo and Fiasp, although Fiasp is rapid acting I to find that I have to inject up to 20mins before eating to prevent spikes, my nemesis is jam!! Even half a teaspoon on jam sends my levels rocketing, so a very rare treat, even so called low sugar jams are bad!
Jam is good for treating hypo's if there aren't any jelly babies around.

I make most of our own jam with at least as much fruit by weight as jam sugar. Seems to work out OK for me, but diabetes can be frustratingly fickle with some foods!

I make most of our own jam with at least as much fruit by weight as jam sugar. Seems to work out OK for me, but diabetes can be frustratingly fickle with some foods!
Quite an achievement by todays standards, many don't even "make it" across the road to pick up a takeaway.

What jams are you making? And have you ever made marmalade? Like paddington bear, i've always like marmalade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back