Do You HAVE to Inject in the Tummy Area??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m glad the thigh works for you as there’s lots of area on both legs. We were taught by our DSN that the area of the thigh to use is where your hand naturally rests when you’re standing up with your arms hanging loosely, which give you a fair idea of how far down it’s safe to inject and to aim more for the outside than the inside thigh. Rotating sites is fairly easy so you may not need to use anywhere else but if you want somewhere else the bit above your bum (about where the pocket opening of jeans is) is a good place and relatively easy to get to in public instead of dropping your kecks (northern slang for trousers).
I was given a “butcher’s cut” style diagram of the human legs when I was a kid, regarding injection sites.
Pretty easy to hoike up the leg on the style of shorts I wear when dining out on holiday under a table or in the summer. I’ve never tried the “tramp stamp” area. Sounds too much of a contortion sat at a table?

Yep! - the most unexpected was on the last but one leg of our flight to Brisbane, by Malaysian Airways so changed to a smaller plane in Kuala Lumpur which went to B via Sydney - and we hadn't realised it did that or that we'd be required to disembark and clear Oz customs in Sydney. Immaterial that bit anyway cos for that bit of that flight our seats were one side of the central row, lunch was about to be served so the lady of the couple sat to the left of me delved into her hand luggage and got out her Novorapid Flexpen and had her jab, though I waited till my meal appeared to do produce my Flexpen (had ordered Flexpens specifically for the holiday - because they're much more immediately recognisable as exactly what they are ie not illegal anything, than a discreet anonymous dark coloured refillable Novopen) our aisle wasn't served quite as quickly and I'd chosen something different anyway - neither of us thought trying Malaysian food for the first time on that last leg was worth risking just in case - so couldn't even judge my carbs from her plate, let alone calculate the insulin. Think she'd probably jabbed through her clothes her husband's side and I just bared a centimetre of midriff bulge my husbands side to do mine and she never even looked at me the whole flight let alone acknowledge the co-incidence of our insulin jabs. We'd both immediately looked at them, smiled and said Hello when they came to their seats but they never acknowledged us let alone appeared to greet us - which we both thought was a bit odd really - but never mind. We've never desired to share our life story with random people - so no matter all in all!

Yup, I'm not injecting in the bogs.
Only injected a few times in public and people have been uninterested and minded tgeir own business
The worst I’ve had from anyone showing interest is, (words to the effect on the occasions from someone with a T1 cousin/partner/spouse.) “you know there is a pump thing that can do this for you, now.”
Good to know. Thanks.

I've found a diagram for you @Austin_98
Although I will say when I did my DANFE course the nurse did say avoid arms but I know in other places there told they can use arms.

I inject in my stomach simply because for me anywhere else it's very easy to catch s muscle(although I might try and see if I can use other areas at some point in the near texture paraticly now I've got my dexcom there as well)

Attachments

• The-Basics-of-Insulin-Injection-Sites-on-body-Where-and-How-to-Inject-v1.jpg
    The-Basics-of-Insulin-Injection-Sites-on-body-Where-and-How-to-Inject-v1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 7
The worst I’ve had from anyone showing interest is, (words to the effect on the occasions from someone with a T1 cousin/partner/spouse.) “you know there is a pump thing that can do this for you, now.”
Good to know. Thanks.
My old house mate once said "when are you going get that thing that sucks it into your body" we had another friend(that also used to live in the house with type 1 diabetes that used a pump. I explained that's not option for everyone.

Last edited:
Haha nooo, wouldn't do that! I actually always go somewhere private if I'm in a restaurant (usually outside, but not at a sitting or smoking area where there's people) anyway. Not because I'm self-conscious, I just feel like some people are squeamish about needles and I don't wanna make other diners uncomfortable if they see me.
Most people won't even notice you are injecting.

My old house mate once said "when are you going get that thing that sucks in into your body" we had another friend(that also used to live in the house with type 1 diabetes that used a pump. I explained that's not option for everyone.
My sensor has also been mistaken for a pump. (By the casual onlooker.) They still can’t understand why I need to inject. Especially since the advent of closed loop systems?

Most people won't even notice you are injecting.
This also true @Austin_98 I was once at someones house where I had a lift home of someone I had bolused for a mini packet of biscuits in a direct eyeline of her. On the way home a conversation of me being a type 1 came up and she said "is that the one where you have inject yourself" so clarely hadn't noticed me do it earlier. I find if people do notice and ask questions there not judging just interested.

My sensor has also been mistaken for a pump. (By the casual onlooker.) They still can’t understand why I need to inject. Especially since the advent of closed loop systems?
Yeah doctors and nurses have actually mistaken my dexcom sesonors for a pump probably due to where it is is. One question I did get aty least job when I injected in front of someone was "is that epi pen'

It’s what it must be like to explain personal daily routine to an outer space alien?
I find awareness a good thing really. The only time I've gone away from a restaurant table was when I was set next to my newphew who was one at the time(he's 2 now) I didn't want him to try and grab the needle. I think we've gone on a bit of a tangent now though

I only have the one injection a day in the morning, my husband does it for me always in my tummy area but he changes the place all the time.

I was told initially about the options of injecting in tummy, outer thighs, arms and buttocks. Personally only use tummy and thighs. I don´t think I have much fat in my arms and I would try the buttocks at some point, if I need to inject more times a day, but I imagine it would be a bit awkward to get the position (?).

Regarding injecting in restaurants, I used to go to the bathroom at the beginning, especially when I didn´t have Libre yet and I wanted to wash my hands for a finger prick. Nowadays I inject in my seat, I´ve gotten more discreet and only the people with me in the table notices, and I don´t mind if anyone else sees. That way I don´t have to leave the conversation and my food/coffee doesn´t get cold. When I am outside I tend to inject on the tummy. I only have to fight the instinct of unbuttoning my jeans like I would at home! :rofl:

I only have the one injection a day in the morning, my husband does it for me always in my tummy area but he changes the place all the time.
Any reason why your husband is doing it, what would happen if he wasn't there?

I’m glad the thigh works for you as there’s lots of area on both legs. We were taught by our DSN that the area of the thigh to use is where your hand naturally rests when you’re standing up with your arms hanging loosely, which give you a fair idea of how far down it’s safe to inject and to aim more for the outside than the inside thigh. Rotating sites is fairly easy so you may not need to use anywhere else but if you want somewhere else the bit above your bum (about where the pocket opening of jeans is) is a good place and relatively easy to get to in public instead of dropping your kecks (northern slang for trousers).

lol I'm from the north, too. "Kecks" made me laugh, haven't heard that one in a while!
Is there a particular reason to go for the outside of the thigh? I don't have much fat there, either.

I’m glad
lol I'm from the north, too. "Kecks" made me laugh, haven't heard that one in a while!
Is there a particular reason to go for the outside of the thigh? I don't have much fat there, either.

I was told to go for the outside as there are less catchable blood vessels there.

Tangential question: I know insulin can cause fat gain specific to the stomach area. Is that at all related to actually injecting there? Like, will I get a free BBL by injecting in my butt instead?
[kidding about the BBL thing, but serious about the first part of that question]

Tangential question: I know insulin can cause fat gain specific to the stomach area. Is that at all related to actually injecting there? Like, will I get a free BBL by injecting in my butt instead?
[kidding about the BBL thing, but serious about the first part of that question]

@Austin_98 No, insulin doesn’t cause fat gain specific to the stomach area. Excess abdominal fat can cause insulin resistance which can cause a body to produce excess insulin eg in Type 2 - is that what you’re thinking of?

No no no no no no.
I get really annoyed by this myth. People who spread it do not realise how dangerous it is.
THE INSULIN WE INJECT REPLACES THE INSULIN OUR BODIES CANNOT PRODUCE. IT DOES NOT MAKE US FAT.
As @Inka explained (rather less emotionally than me), insulin resistance causes weight gain.
You do not have insulin resistance (type 2 diabetes) so you do not need to be worried about fat gain around the stomach or anywhere else because of your insulin.

@Austin_98 No, insulin doesn’t cause fat gain specific to the stomach area. Excess abdominal fat can cause insulin resistance which can cause a body to produce excess insulin eg in Type 2 - is that what you’re thinking of?
Ohh, it must be!
For some reason I thought insulin promoted fat gain and that it could be particular to the abdomen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back