Do you go on holidays these days ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am exactly the same as you, decided last year that there would be no more holidays for me. Can't beat a day out down the Gower, when the weather is right!! I only live 15 mins from the sea which always calms me, guess I am lucky there.

It's too much faffing about

Even within 30 miles of me there are lots of beaches , pubs , walks , places of interest

It's too much faffing about

Even within 30 miles of me there are lots of beaches , pubs , walks , places of interest

I don’t think you are alone in feeling that. My Dad had what my Mum always called his “holiday face” because of the effort, uncertainty, travel fatigue, and as you so eloquently put it “faff”.

I think travel can be an amazing experience, but if you don’t enjoy it, it can be a stretch.

However, not being able to enjoy enjoyable things can be a symptom of depression / low mood. And sometimes doing things even when you don’t “feel like it” can help break you out of a funk.

My wife and I no longer fly. To much stress. I am a type 2 diabetic and my wife is in a wheelchair and we have found that cruises departing from the UK suits us perfectly. There is a lot of choice out there

I haven't had a holiday for over 20 years due to my wifes mental illness. I haven't been to the beach or walked anywhere with her for very long time. Such a shame that she is never happy and always afraid. Such a shame that so much of hef life has been spoilt but I live in hope from day to day. Right now things are at the worst for her as she is in hospital but that also means things will improve from this moment on. I can't guarentee that but I hope for that.

What I didn't say was that my family were holidaying in Wales before I was born - in fact apparently I was the result of one of them which I can't prove but there again could explain why I've liked cider ever since I first tasted it, probably about the age of 12 or 13. They had friends whose family owned a 'holiday bungalow' at Kinmel Bay. They all rank a lot of cider together there apparently so my mum told me. We'd describe it as an old wooden chalet - but it had 2 or 3 bedrooms, a living room, kitchen & bathroom. Parents had photos of all sorts of people and their dogs and/or babies/children there. Later I've holidayed all over Wales - Anglesey, Abersoch, Barmouth, Morfa Dyffryn, Pembrokeshire, Tonyrefail, Roman Bridge to mention just a few of the various places I've visited and seen the castles etc. The Isle of Wight, Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Somerset, both sides of the Pennines.

Much like people - everywhere has good bits along with the less good ones - just some places you have to look a bit harder to find them!

yep.
Since diabetes, Majorca (just after lockdown, place was deserted, but not for me), Italy (love it!), and Croatia. Diabetes not a problem at all.

I hate flying, but love going abroad.

I’ve also been to Northumberland camping and Lancashire a few times to see family.

Last edited:
Gosh yes, I love to travel although so far this year I’ve only been to Spain once in March. I’m hopeful I will get out with the caravan pretty soon but currently grounded waiting for my cataract op (I’m trying not to drive long distances).

It’s a big, big world out there and I want to see as much of it as I can afford before I pop off.

What I didn't say was that my family were holidaying in Wales before I was born - in fact apparently I was the result of one of them which I can't prove but there again could explain why I've liked cider ever since I first tasted it, probably about the age of 12 or 13. They had friends whose family owned a 'holiday bungalow' at Kinmel Bay. They all rank a lot of cider together there apparently so my mum told me. We'd describe it as an old wooden chalet - but it had 2 or 3 bedrooms, a living room, kitchen & bathroom. Parents had photos of all sorts of people and their dogs and/or babies/children there. Later I've holidayed all over Wales - Anglesey, Abersoch, Barmouth, Morfa Dyffryn, Pembrokeshire, Tonyrefail, Roman Bridge to mention just a few of the various places I've visited and seen the castles etc. The Isle of Wight, Devon, Dorset, Hampshire, Somerset, both sides of the Pennines.

Much like people - everywhere has good bits along with the less good ones - just some places you have to look a bit harder to find them!

North Wales is pretty but it's a long journey from Cardiff .....its just as quick to get to Cornwall or the peak district

I would go abroad if it wasn't for the anxiety and venture further in the UK if it wasn't for the distance as 3 hours plus travelling absolutely exhausts me

An hour and a half and I can be in Tenby West Wales or North Devon

OK that means life is a bit restricted but I am really not bothered

I don’t think you are alone in feeling that. My Dad had what my Mum always called his “holiday face” because of the effort, uncertainty, travel fatigue, and as you so eloquently put it “faff”.

I think travel can be an amazing experience, but if you don’t enjoy it, it can be a stretch.

However, not being able to enjoy enjoyable things can be a symptom of depression / low mood. And sometimes doing things even when you don’t “feel like it” can help break you out of a funk.

We had relatives , my mums sister and hubby and my cousins ....in Guernsey

As kids it was great except for the 4 hour drive from Cardiff to Weymouth, a 5 hour ferry then back again

But my dad couldn't stand the stress of having everything organised by my relatives and their continual fussing ....Nice people but as I grew older I knew what he meant ......like me he just wanted to go down the beach , go fishing , have a pub lunch etc

Faffing about was never his thing either lol

I haven't had a holiday for over 20 years due to my wifes mental illness. I haven't been to the beach or walked anywhere with her for very long time. Such a shame that she is never happy and always afraid. Such a shame that so much of hef life has been spoilt but I live in hope from day to day. Right now things are at the worst for her as she is in hospital but that also means things will improve from this moment on. I can't guarentee that but I hope for that.

Mind will have information on mental health friendly short breaks

Gosh yes, I love to travel although so far this year I’ve only been to Spain once in March. I’m hopeful I will get out with the caravan pretty soon but currently grounded waiting for my cataract op (I’m trying not to drive long distances).

It’s a big, big world out there and I want to see as much of it as I can afford before I pop off.

I admire that attitude but I feel there is loads to see and do locally for me or within a few hours drive

I don't think I have ever been much of a traveller I take after my father

I miss simple things like watching cardiff city my football team , fishing in the local lakes as I have done since I was a kid etc

I admire that attitude but I feel there is loads to see and do locally for me or within a few hours drive

I thought it was brilliant how people regained their love and admiration of things on their doorstep with the restricted travel opportunities around the pandemic.

My late wife always aimed to keep travel-times below 3.5 hours, and almost all of our family holidays were in the UK.

There are so many places here I’d still like to explore or revisit!

I thought it was brilliant how people regained their love and admiration of things on their doorstep with the restricted travel opportunities around the pandemic.

My late wife always aimed to keep travel-times below 3.5 hours, and almost all of our family holidays were in the UK.

There are so many places here I’d still like to explore or revisit!

A mate of mine goes abroad every year

To tenerife

Same hotel

Been doing it 25 years

To tenerife

Same hotel

Been doing it 25 years
That would bore me stupid.
I need to explore some more local places - never been to Lichfield despite the fact it’s just a few miles away

I have a camper van, but we live within sight of the sea and can go to the beach anytime, I go off to folk festivals and other places where the morris people are dancing and play music for them.

We have recently returned from a 3 month trip to SE Asia, so, yes, we still travel.

I have a camper van, but we live within sight of the sea and can go to the beach anytime, I go off to folk festivals and other places where the morris people are dancing and play music for them.

That's my kind of thing but heavy metal

To tenerife

Same hotel

Been doing it 25 years

Another has a static caravan near Barry Island on the south wales coast, 15 miles from where she lives

Spends every other weekend there , caravan , little shop , social club , beach , caravan overlooks the sea , 10 minute drive into Barry for the grandchildren , funfair

If it was a bit warmer I think that would be perfect for me , fishing rods , radio , TV if it's raining

I can understand people wanting to explore places but anxiety sufferers like familiarity and routine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back