Do you go on holidays these days ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffyboyslim

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
A combination of the stress and strain of diabetes and the mental health issues I struggle with......anxiety , depression and agoraphobia.......mean that these days I don't go on holiday

I really hate flying so have only been abroad 2 or 3 times but these days that's out of the question

I prefer to holiday in this country

West Wales is only an hour and a half from me but even that's a chore and herculan effort

Minehead is nice

Scotland , the lake district , Norfolk, Cornwall all too much of a effort and stress

Hi
Only to visit family and has to be very carefully planned and managed and I have to prepare my own food and feel so antisocial due to this. I hope you manage to get away even if just for a day. I like minehead too but it looked tired when we last visited, hoping it gets better in summer.

Not had a holiday for at least 20 years, probably longer. My sister and I flew out to Tenerife about 6 years ago to visit my brother who lives there, as it was his 70th birthday, but just stayed for 3 days as neither of us are keen on Tenerife and it is far too hot in June. It was lovely to see him and have a hug but a long way to go to get it and definitely don't consider that a holiday. That was the year before I was diagnosed, and not been away since. I have animals to look after so it is really difficult and to be honest I don't have the money to spend on hols. I used to really love skiing but haven't done it for too many years now and would not be able to ski to the standard I used to .... assuming my knees could hold up to it, so that would frustrate me going back to basics and again, leaving the animals in the winter when there is twice as much work, is just a no go. More expensive travel insurance might be another issue now I am diagnosed, plus my passport is now out of date so that would be another financial outlay that I don't need. So my diabetes isn't specifically stopping me but it is an extra layer of complication that I can't be bothered to deal with and no burning desire to see anywhere in particular, but would love to hug my brother again.

My partner and I have an odd day out to a National Trust property or an auction maybe 2 or 3 days a year and we compete in horse showing/driving events throughout the summer, but that definitely isn't a holiday!

I am pre-diabetic not diabetic but I go abroad. One of my friends who has now died always went abroad with diabetes except after he had a TIA. Another of my friends always went abroad with diabetes until his wife suffered a lot of illness and is now too anxious to cope with it all.

I hate flying but do it because there is no choice when I want to go somewhere. Most of the airline food gets sent back as it is too carby and I pick and choose my food when I am abroad. Mind you, I do the same here as, sometimes, our restaurants and cafes are much more in that there are few too many carb rich foods.

A combination of the stress and strain of diabetes and the mental health issues I struggle with......anxiety , depression and agoraphobia.......mean that these days I don't go on holiday

I really hate flying so have only been abroad 2 or 3 times but these days that's out of the question

I prefer to holiday in this country

West Wales is only an hour and a half from me but even that's a chore and herculan effort

Minehead is nice

Scotland , the lake district , Norfolk, Cornwall all too much of a effort and stress
I am sorry to hear about your mental health issues. I can understand you would no want to go away too much. Airports are a nightmare.

There is always the option of day trips, no packing to do, just need to decide a destination and check / decide transport. Maybe consider taking a packed lunch (can be super basic like a piece of cooked chicken, tomatoes and carrot sticks).

Maybe after trying a day trip or two, you may want to try a weekend away. There's no obligation to take a full week away from home if it will cause too much stress.

My preference is to go places off season as I don’t like crowds. We went to the Yorkshire Dales last year so we could meet up with family and this year we’re staying right on the seafront in a small village in Northern Ireland so I can show my kids where I used to live and get some time on isolated beaches. I’m not a fan of heat and we try not to fly if have the option so the UK is where we mostly go. I feel a lot better if I get some time at the sea and my mum used to live in Hunstanton so that was perfect but she moved into a home 4 years ago so now we have to make a specific effort to go to the sea. We do self catering and try to make it so we can each have space we can escape to.

We always holiday in the UK Devon, Norfolk and Wales hs always been our preference, love self catering and has to be a hot tub, our last holiday was 10 months ago just before i was ill and ended up in hospital, we stayed in Prestatyn in a lovely 5 star cottage.

The entire east coast of England (in fact not just the coast) was in the main unknown to me until after I took up with my second and current husband - but I have to say I've had any number of very pleasant visits and holidays here there and everywhere almost since.

Mixed also with road trips, tent camping both by car and motorbike and motorhome and some flight holidays - the farthest with this husband to Australia once when my sis was still alive. Lor' knows what we'll be doing or holidaying and where that will be, this year.

Not had a holiday for at least 20 years, probably longer. My sister and I flew out to Tenerife about 6 years ago to visit my brother who lives there, as it was his 70th birthday, but just stayed for 3 days as neither of us are keen on Tenerife and it is far too hot in June. It was lovely to see him and have a hug but a long way to go to get it and definitely don't consider that a holiday. That was the year before I was diagnosed, and not been away since. I have animals to look after so it is really difficult and to be honest I don't have the money to spend on hols. I used to really love skiing but haven't done it for too many years now and would not be able to ski to the standard I used to .... assuming my knees could hold up to it, so that would frustrate me going back to basics and again, leaving the animals in the winter when there is twice as much work, is just a no go. More expensive travel insurance might be another issue now I am diagnosed, plus my passport is now out of date so that would be another financial outlay that I don't need. So my diabetes isn't specifically stopping me but it is an extra layer of complication that I can't be bothered to deal with and no burning desire to see anywhere in particular, but would love to hug my brother again.

My partner and I have an odd day out to a National Trust property or an auction maybe 2 or 3 days a year and we compete in horse showing/driving events throughout the summer, but that definitely isn't a holiday!

I can't stand the heat in the summer here , it's far too hot for me in places like tenerife

I don't mind day trips or long weekends .....a week away at a push ....but packing , passports , trip to airport .....its too stressful for me

I think my last full on summer holiday was 1990

I am sorry to hear about your mental health issues. I can understand you would no want to go away too much. Airports are a nightmare.

If the weather was OK from March to October I would be happy with the UK

As it is I try to get about in spring , summer and autumn and lock myself away in winter

There is always the option of day trips, no packing to do, just need to decide a destination and check / decide transport. Maybe consider taking a packed lunch (can be super basic like a piece of cooked chicken, tomatoes and carrot sticks).

Maybe after trying a day trip or two, you may want to try a weekend away. There's no obligation to take a full week away from home if it will cause too much stress.

I tend to do that now and then

I like routine , holidays of any length throw me

My preference is to go places off season as I don’t like crowds. We went to the Yorkshire Dales last year so we could meet up with family and this year we’re staying right on the seafront in a small village in Northern Ireland so I can show my kids where I used to live and get some time on isolated beaches. I’m not a fan of heat and we try not to fly if have the option so the UK is where we mostly go. I feel a lot better if I get some time at the sea and my mum used to live in Hunstanton so that was perfect but she moved into a home 4 years ago so now we have to make a specific effort to go to the sea. We do self catering and try to make it so we can each have space we can escape to.

That sounds lovely

I like the sea and I am lucky to be 15 minutes from the local beaches

The entire east coast of England (in fact not just the coast) was in the main unknown to me until after I took up with my second and current husband - but I have to say I've had any number of very pleasant visits and holidays here there and everywhere almost since.

Mixed also with road trips, tent camping both by car and motorbike and motorhome and some flight holidays - the farthest with this husband to Australia once when my sis was still alive. Lor' knows what we'll be doing or holidaying and where that will be, this year.

It's a long trek for me to Norfolk, the lakes , Scotland etc

I am lucky to have west Wales on my doorstep

I like the sea , bucket and spade type places

I love holidays, exploring new places, eating different food, comparing "other" cultures and getting away from normal life.
This could be hiking in Wales, city breaks in Europe or something further afield.
I avoid beach holidays because I get bored. Likewise, I avoid going back to the same place - I find it boring.
I need to be active, usually doing lots and lots and lots of walking.

In the last few years, we have stayed in the UK due to a fear of being stuck overseas with covid but now the rules have been relaxed, we will be travelling again. As we have no children, we avoid travelling peak season so usually head off in Spring and Autumn with maybe a Christmas city break.

I am lucky to have west Wales on my doorstep
A long drive for us as we're in Berkshire but we've had a number of holidays in Pembrokeshire (Narberth twice, Saundersfoot and St Brides). So much to see and do. Bit of a trip home and then some for me, of course, being Llanelli born & bred. Some years ago we started going to Cornwall for the August Bank Holiday weekend to take part in the World Smite Championships in St Neot, staying at a Premier Inn, but for the last few years we've booked a cottage or apartment in Fowey and we stay for a week.

I tend to do that now and then

I like routine , holidays of any length throw me
I am exactly the same as you, decided last year that there would be no more holidays for me. Can't beat a day out down the Gower, when the weather is right!! I only live 15 mins from the sea which always calms me, guess I am lucky there.

A long drive for us as we're in Berkshire but we've had a number of holidays in Pembrokeshire (Narberth twice, Saundersfoot and St Brides). So much to see and do. Bit of a trip home and then some for me, of course, being Llanelli born & bred. Some years ago we started going to Cornwall for the August Bank Holiday weekend to take part in the World Smite Championships in St Neot, staying at a Premier Inn, but for the last few years we've booked a cottage or apartment in Fowey and we stay for a week.
Beautiful places and I like Cornwall too must be the Celt in us lol

I love going on holiday. We tend to holiday in the UK maybe 4/5 times a year, as we don’t care for the heat anymore ( hubby has chronic heart condition). We’re off to the Highlands on Friday, it’ll take 7/8 hours. We’re going for two weeks and it’s very isolated so we take lots of meals I’ve pre prepared and fresh food to freeze when we get there. Nearest big supermarket is a 60 mile round trip! I like to eat my own food so a cottage suits us. We also go down south too, another 7/8 hours drive. Again, also a cottage and as far away from civilisation as possible. We do lots of walking, bird watching, photography and just enjoy what nature has to offer. We don’t need entertained anymore or Michelin starred restaurants, just a bit of peace and quiet.

Not far from west Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back