Disability Living Allowance....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

As we parents are aware, our children are entitled to D.L.A, for their diabetes.
Well Nathan's renewal form come through, well more like an exam paper.. I filled in said form, which took me quite a few days in order for me to fill in all relevant
information and even enclosed a weeks diary of how diabetes affects him, meal times, blood testing, insulin regime etc. A job well done I thought to myself.. How wrong I was.
March I got the outcome, Nathan's entitlement was to be dropped. I then telephoned up to ask about th decision.. To my dismay..they have disallowed him any care for during the night..stating that at 14 he should be and take responsibility for his diabetes and not rely on others for help.. Hello what planet Im I living on. Nathan has of late suffered some horrendous night time hypo's.. partly to insulin, food and age.. these hypo's have left him on the floor..how on earth can he help his self.
I then asked for a reconsideration..to my dismay..they still stand by what the decided. Now I am in the process of appealing at an independent tribunal.. to which I will go in fighting for Nathan. I am grateful for any benefit entitlement he is allowed but this must correspond to what he has to deal with..in lay mans terms a chronic life threatening condition.
Personally, I feel all diabetics should be entitled to D.L.A. regardless of age or type. Why do we have to fight this system, the guides and rules the government, parliament have set out...FUNNY HOW THEY CHANGE AND BEND THE RULES TO THEIR ADVANTAGE... Should we all claim for lemons, T.V's and swimming pools???.. This system is wrong and I intend to challenge it.
On that note.. I was wondering if any other parents are having the same problem or have been in the tribunal situation?
Sorry for this long post, it's just i'm really angry, and fed up.
Thank you
Love Heidi and Nathan aka 'Kevin the Teenager'
HI, Im Kate, i went to tribunal yesterday, it was the second time i have had to do this and it was awful? On the panel was the chairman, GP and a ladie from the Disability Living Allowance Department. They ask all kinds of questions, try to confuse you and ask you your symtoms of all your conditions just in case your lying! I took a my local TUC adviser with me who knows the system with me, who can talk on my behalf and with me. It still went pear shaped! Because the panel said they were confused they want to send a doctor out to my house to examime me! they also want my blood sugar diary from 08 to 09 and more information from my consultant, although the paper work states everything. I have type 1 , gastropereis, neuropathy and eye problems amongst others.

Hi Kate
That's awful, I'm so sorry that happened. What is the matter with these people. Surely if you had proof and things with you that should have been enough. What happens is that they want people to drop it and give up so they refuse it and that is what happens. A social worker told me that. When I applied she said you will get it refused but just appeal it. She was right.

Good luck.

hi there and a warm welcome kate so sorry you has to go through this is sounded awful if you had the proof and things with you that should of been enough surely? grr these people are so frustrating 😡😡

good luck

Last edited:
I don't have anything to add to the details of this thread, but would just like to say how impressed I have been with how everyone has responded. It is clearly a subject that can evoke great passions - understandably - and I have been touched by all your stories, but all parties have expressed their views with dignity and respect. Thank you, I wish you all well and am thankful that I do not have to bear your responsibilities and worries - you are very impressive human beings.

HI, Im Kate, i went to tribunal yesterday, it was the second time i have had to do this and it was awful? On the panel was the chairman, GP and a ladie from the Disability Living Allowance Department. They ask all kinds of questions, try to confuse you and ask you your symtoms of all your conditions just in case your lying! I took a my local TUC adviser with me who knows the system with me, who can talk on my behalf and with me. It still went pear shaped! Because the panel said they were confused they want to send a doctor out to my house to examime me! they also want my blood sugar diary from 08 to 09 and more information from my consultant, although the paper work states everything. I have type 1 , gastropereis, neuropathy and eye problems amongst others.

Hi Katie,

I truly feel for you...No-one should have to be subjected to this, and I am appalled that you have had to go through this not once but twice.
I have been informed of what to expect from the tribunal panel and who will be present..I took advantage of a half hour solicitors advice..before I launched my appeal. I am well aware of the approach they will take..and understand it in some ways is there position to catch claimants out.
I understand how frustrating it must be for you..especially when they have all the written documentation in front of them..on a positive note however them asking for further information..would suggest to me that they need more clarification in order to rate your award accordingly..please don't view this as 'Pear shaped'...it may also mean that you have cast doubt over there decision.
I have my fingers crossed for you that the outcome will be successful in your favour..
If I can be of any help or support to you in anyway during this time or after please feel free to pm me anytime

Heidi
🙂

I don't have anything to add to the details of this thread, but would just like to say how impressed I have been with how everyone has responded. It is clearly a subject that can evoke great passions - understandably - and I have been touched by all your stories, but all parties have expressed their views with dignity and respect. Thank you, I wish you all well and am thankful that I do not have to bear your responsibilities and worries - you are very impressive human beings.

Hi Northerner,

Many thanks for your reply..It certainly means a lot to myself and others. I am also thankful for they way you think the subject has been handled by all parties involved..as you say it is a subject that can evoke great passion...and not all parties will have the same view/opinion..during the posting I personally have had to think long and hard about my reply..and some elements of which have pushed me to the limit on the way in which I respond.

Heidi
🙂

Hi Katie,

It sounds like a dreadful ordeal and I hope it has a positive result. I think you're very understanding Heidi in saying that you understand part of the panel's role is to catch people out. It shouldn't be, but I expect they respond to 'targets' and moving thresholds applied to the granting of DLA. My nephew worked for the Citizen's Advice Bureau when the government announced it's intentions to reduce the rate of claiming, and helped people appeal when their claims, which had previously been granted, were subsequently turned down - their conditions, and 'the facts' had not changed. Sadly thresholds do move to meet new funding and target requirements.

The panels are dealing with real people and real families, of course there are going to be emotive issues, this doesn't mean the basic facts are not present too. Families need to be dealt with in a sensitive manner when they are already undergoing crises and difficulties.

By the way, I thought many of you said you didn't work - I think from all the campaigning and support work you are involved in, you mean you don't do paid work. :D I think lots of people on this forum help others from running marathons to pro-active campaigning - thanks!

Hi All

Just thought I would share with you all that this morning I got confirmation that Nathan's appeal is definately going to be heard at a tribunal hearing for a date to be set somewhere between 6 to 12 weeks time...I will be informed of the date 2 weeks prior to the actual hearing.

The confirmation form that I will be still persuing the appeal and that I will be attending the hearing has been posted back today as well.

Although the appeal form was originally sent for Nathan...due to a mistake by the DLA...not putting me down as the appointee.. I phoned the TBS to amend that information.

Heidi
🙂

hi heidi wish you both all the luck in the world i know i dont need to ask this but please keep us posted , i can say this on behalf of all of us i think that your an amazing mum you and nathan make a great team we all want you to get the right outcome

All the best for when it happens hun xxx

hi heidi wish you both all the luck in the world i know i dont need to ask this but please keep us posted , i can say this on behalf of all of us i think that your an amazing mum you and nathan make a great team we all want you to get the right outcome

All the best for when it happens hun xxx

Hi Hun.....

I will deffo be keeping you all posted on this...as I have said before I may not win...but if I can make them think about one other case and there decision to stop another parent going through this..then my job has been achieved..Hopefully I will however win...but it is not certain.....

Thank you for those kind words steff and your best wishes

Heidi
🙂

Best of luck Heidi, I had a friend who got her DLA taken away and on appeal she won.

I didn't claim DLA when I was entitiled not sure if I would still be entitiled to it.

Best of luck Heidi, I had a friend who got her DLA taken away and on appeal she won.

I didn't claim DLA when I was entitiled not sure if I would still be entitiled to it.

Hi Nikki - might be worth havng a chat with the Citizen's Advice Bureau.

I am posting this comment not as a criticism but as information/an observation
having discussed this with my mum yesterday who had to care for me when I had diabetes from the age of 2 1/2 (6 months after my brother was born). Mum worked full-time from when we were young, until I was in my early teens we could not get a clear indication of sugar levels i.e. the urine dipsticks just stated if there was no sugar, hypos could not be easily identified as we had no blood testing strips (they hadn't been invented), my dad worked night shifts and my mum also had my brother to look after who was 18 months younger than me. Dad worked in a factory and mum had jobs that in today's terms would probably pay the national wage. They didn't even own a phone in the early years of my life. Yet they got on with looking after me without any extra help or payment and we got on with it. We surived, we managed and and nearly 40 years later everything is still fine. It also hellped me to be a self-sufficient adult who has had a range of jobs from being a cleaner through to being an academic. Yes diabetes is there, yes it is scary (mum, dad and I have lived with the fear of what it might do to me for most of my life) and in the past as well it was extremely difficult to manage - boiling syringes before each injection with very thick needles, no blood testing, sudden hypos (day and night) but we got there and are so close for having done it.

having discussed this with my mum yesterday who had to care for me when I had diabetes from the age of 2 1/2 (6 months after my brother was born). Mum worked full-time from when we were young, until I was in my early teens we could not get a clear indication of sugar levels i.e. the urine dipsticks just stated if there was no sugar, hypos could not be easily identified as we had no blood testing strips (they hadn't been invented), my dad worked night shifts and my mum also had my brother to look after who was 18 months younger than me. Dad worked in a factory and mum had jobs that in today's terms would probably pay the national wage. They didn't even own a phone in the early years of my life. Yet they got on with looking after me without any extra help or payment and we got on with it. We surived, we managed and and nearly 40 years later everything is still fine. It also hellped me to be a self-sufficient adult who has had a range of jobs from being a cleaner through to being an academic. Yes diabetes is there, yes it is scary (mum, dad and I have lived with the fear of what it might do to me for most of my life) and in the past as well it was extremely difficult to manage - boiling syringes before each injection with very thick needles, no blood testing, sudden hypos (day and night) but we got there and are so close for having done it.

Hi

Thats great, I understand how hard and worrying it must have been for your mum and dad back then.

I have no illusion though that the great care that can be achieved with todays fantastic inventions that my daughter won't grow into a self sufficient adult who had diabetes with bells on. I don't think that have DLA or anything else will affect her at all. Today is so very very different from 40 odd year ago, even 10 years ago infact.

You, I imagine were sent to school with your dinner money and whatever else you needed. You didn't need anyone to do your finger tests and you didn't need anyone to give you an injection as back then it was probably only one or two injections a day.

These days schools have to cover themselves so have to have care plans generally signed by the doctors or nurses or at the very least agreed by parents and schools. Someone is needed to inject a child at lunch time, you can't expect a 5 year old or sometimes even a 10 year old to inject (Gt Ormond Street Hosp do not make children under the age of 13 inject if they don't want to) themselves. In many instances the schools will not inject so mum or dad have to go in and do that every lunchtime.

You cannot expect a child to finger test themselves, some do, but some don't but definitely you cannot let a child act on the number, they may need a boost to bring them by up but how much !! One jelly baby may rise one child by 2.0 but another child it may take 5 jelly babies to do the same thing. This is all normally worked out by the parent and written in care plans. Why the hell should these children have to do all this extra stuff which is a huge responsibility when they haven't asked for diabetes, its not their fault. I understand also it wasn't your fault but back then you didn't have the stuff we have these days.

Whilst the condition is the same, the treatments and medical equipment is so so so vastly different. User intervention is huge and is practically a full time job. Schools have to react to numbers on meters and food, they didn't have to do that when you were at school.

So whilst I commend any parent ever in the world at any time since time began and I understand all the feelings it is a lot more care today than it has ever been before. I have a feeling it will get even more complicated as new devices come on the open market and I have a feeling that what we do is nothing compared to what the parents in 40 years will have to do but we are today's parents and today's parents have to intervene on pretty much a 24 hour basis with their child's diabetes.

I would like to go to work, I miss my full time job. I can't. I get called into school, we are under three different hospitals !!!

So thanks for sharing your post, I found it very interesting, I honestly did because it amazes me how parents coped when there were no meters or pumps or BB. I would not like to have been a parent then so my hat is off to your parents without a doubt.

I hope we understand each other ok, I understand where you are coming from, I wouldn't have liked to have lived with the uncertainty but I hope you appreciate that it is different now.

Hi AJL,

I understand fully where you are coming from with your posting...my best friend who is 37 now was diagnosed aged 8mths old... Her parents had to go through exactly what yours did..and have great admiration for parents who had to go through this...My friend even recalls the uproar caused when diabetics had to pay for there needles and syringes..and drug users got them free...I cannot imagine the financial burden that was put on parents of this time. Nor have I any comprehension of how your parents must have felt..

However can I also mirror what Adrienne has also said...Today for example I had to nip to our local larger town, I dont drive so have to rely on public transport...However at 11.15am..Nathan's school phoned and he was'nt well...High BG...and they needed to send him home..or more like they did'nt want the responsibilty of him being at school unwell...this is a different issue......I then had 5 phone calls off them...asking how long I was going to be etc.....they had'nt followed any part of the health care plan...when I questioned what Nathan's BG was..there reply does he need to do it??..school informed me he looks really unwell..my reply was till I know the reading I cannot advise you of the next course of action...etc.....the saga continued for a further 3 phone calls...till I told them I was queing for the next bus back and would be there asap.

This was a first trip to Barrow for myself in about 6weeks...on my own...just me time etc..hope that does'nt sound selfish on my part....Know I have the feeling again that I cannot go anywhere again...away form my house..because I'm needed within 5 mins of a phone call at school..to care for Nathans needs..

Heidi
🙂

Hi Sofaraway...

Thank you for your wishes of luck...means a great deal to me...x

My understanding of DLA in diabetic adults is...you may not qualify..unless you have associated complications of diabetes...such as severe hypo's which require someones intervention/help/assistance, retinopathy, neuropathy,glucoma, amputations, kidney dialyisis etc...If my understanding is wrong apologies and I'm sure someone will be able to clarify this further.

I would say give the DLA a ring the phone number is: 08457123456

Or a runner suggested seek advice from your local CAB....

Heidi
🙂

I don't want to get into a debate about what is better or worse but would just liek to highlight some points as I have been trhough virtually every type of treatment apart from the pump

1. Mum could never just send me off with my dinner money - the problem with one or two injections a day is that you have insulin working all day, you couldn't top up because you had eaten. or just reduce because you weren't hungry Therefore everything had to be extremely tightly carbohydrate controlled and you had to eat six times a day all carbohydrate counted to stop the insulin swamping your body i.e. breakfast, mid-mroning snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack, dinner and then being woken up, as a small child, at 10pm for a snack to hopefully get you through the night. You could never eat "normally" and there was never that much time between snacks/meals.

2. As far as I'm aware no school had a care plan - if there was a problem then mum had to help irrespective of where she was or what she was doing. My mum had never been able to drive so had to rely on buses even when we lived in a council house in a village, walking or begging lifts from neighbours.

3. You didn't know if you were heading for a hypo as you couldn't check in advance whether your BG was 6, 5, 4 or whatever - e.g. I collapsed from a hypo when at a dancing class, walking along the street with my mum and dad to the park etc etc. Several Christmas Days started with my mum having to get me out of a bad hypo whilst dad getting walking round the room whilst the glucose worked to stop me slipping into a coma. There was no way of knowing how much you needed for that particularly hypo or for checking the effect that it had on your sugar - we couldn't test so we had to guess. On the side we never knew for certain how high BG was but knew to worry if the dipstick test was dark brown that we needed to do another test for ketones.

4. If you were ill you were put into hospital for a week at a time and they really didn't know what to do and obviously my parents were visiting every day. the doctors couldn't test accurately and it was only my mum who stopped one dooctor who tried to give me more insulin when knew instinctively that my sugar was low. At the age of 7 the hospital expected me to be able to inject myself when I went onto two injections a day - no choice. Reagent strips, when they were introduced, had to be used by me at school to monitor what was happening when i was still very young. Hypos still happened e.g. if it was a hot day or I was taking part in sports activities.

4. But the worst thing about the lack of being able to test properly, adjust insulin (there wasn't even the HBA1C test) was that you never had a very clear idea of what was happening to your sugars so the risk of complications was so much higher - as a child and teenager I grew up in the knowledge that complications were expected within 20 years of diagnosis (30 if you were lucky). I thanked my lucky stars that I got through the first 30 years with no major complications, unfortunately now things are no so straightforward and I have lost part of my sight due to a CRVo. hence why I am having to check what I've written with either a screen reader or copying in into a word document at 24 font.

As I've said before, and apologies for repearting myself, I do know what it is like to be on one injection, two injections through to five-seven injections a day plus up to ten blood tests a day. All are very difficult both to deal with as a parent and to live with as a diabetic, whatever your age.

In my opinion things are not easier or more difficult now - they are different. there is a trade off between how much injecting and testing that is done and the risk of complicatitons - but it is a trade off. Personally I think that acknolwedging that is very important rather than trying to identify what is better or worse.

Anyhow this is my last email about this topic but I hope that this does provide some understanding of the challenges that all diabetics have faced/do face and the same with regard to their parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back