Diagnosed Wed 3rd May!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@scotcheggs the test strips for that meter are a more costly than some others at £12 odd for 50. The test strips for my own Spirit Tee2 meter are £8.45 for 50 on Amazon

Shop around to see the cost of test strips before going for any particular meter

Hi Craig
Lots more helpful information since my post. The app I use is NutraCheck which is UK based and very comprehensive. There is a free trial then a monthly fee. Even if you get the web version as well as the app, it works out at less than £2 a week (less than a coffee shop coffee!). I get my fruit fix with frozen fruit - I usually get the strawberry/blueberry mix. A portion size is 80gm and I was advised no more than 2 portions of fruit a day. I also have a lot of fish (not battered or crumbed) such as salmon, tuna, mackerel, white fish. I bake in foil with a veggie topping like mushrooms/tomatoes/peppers or fish seasoning. I like it with home made ratatouille (peppers, courgettes, onions, tinned tomatoes, aubergines). It's also good for a heart healthy diet.
Hi Felina... wow... i'm coming for dinner lol. Sounds great. I have seen summer berry mix in Iceland (frozen bag) which is very reasonably priced. I'll look to see exactly what is in it and try stick to blueberry etc. I've decided for breakfast I am going to have Porridge and could scatter some berry mix over that. I'm on a super steep learning curve and the info on here is amazing. I'll need to try see the GP early next week as the consultant did say he would phone the last wednesday afternoon.

@scotcheggs the test strips for that meter are a more costly than some others at £12 odd for 50. The test strips for my own Spirit Tee2 meter are £8.45 for 50 on Amazon

Shop around to see the cost of test strips before going for any particular meter
ah ok never noticed that. I'll check out your Tee2 device. Thanks for that

Hi. I went the testing route to work out how my body reacted to different carbs. I bought a basic meter https://www.glucorx.co.uk/shop/glucorx-q-meter/ and subscribed to get the strips chepaer. You can buy through amazon as well.

Now I understand a little bit I ordered a free trial CGM. I know I can't afford to fund them myself but 2 weeks of continual info should allow me to see if the changes I have made are working... and spot where else I can make changes. That might be worth looking at when you have got your head around things.

I think you can get a meter from Spirit for free if you are diabetic. Not sure if that is valid now but worth checking. Get their phone number from the interthing

Hi Proud. That list sounds helpful... would you share? I've just downloaded the carbs/cals app and immediately realised to get the full use of it you need to pay! I'll have a nosey for the book on Amazon/Ebay.
Hi @ scotcheggs, to share such lists from the book would, I think, be a breach of copyright and, while I'm not always fully compliant with such things, this forum is a bit too public!

However as just pointed out, you will in 12 months time naturally have in your brain the carb content for those 40+ food items that you routinely eat and not only will you have a good grasp of the relative carb values, you will instinctively have a good sense of the actual carb content for a portion size - using your own crockery and serving utensils. That latter aspect (assessing portion sizes on a plate) becomes a great help when eating out and whatever you've ordered appears in front of you.

I'm 3 yrs+ into this D malarkey and still quite diligently carb count - but I need to do this as a T3c (as if T1) to get my insulin doses correct.

Hmm interesting point about copyright. So if I were to provide my own list as an excel spreadsheet, which was cobbled together by me from many books and many internet sites and general searches, would that consitute many copright beaches or none ? Anyone know?

Hmm interesting point about copyright. So if I were to provide my own list as an excel spreadsheet, which was cobbled together by me from many books and many internet sites and general searches, would that consitute many copright beaches or none ? Anyone know?
I think not. But I have no legal background. I guess it might also depend on whether you were seeking commercial gain from your spreadsheet.

However the Carbs and Cals book says copyright protected and I resisted taking a picture of a page or two to attach to my earlier response.

We are now in danger of taking this thread in a whole new direction!

Sorry, I was considering whether providing a list would be sensible, possible, legal. Just thinking of trying to help @scotcheggs and possibly others.

Sorry, I was considering whether providing a list would be sensible, possible, legal. Just thinking of trying to help @scotcheggs and possibly others.
I think your home made list (or lists) would be fine - and helpful. At the very least send it as a pm, if you already have such a list?

Good idea and, yes, i have created such a list. I will ponder that

Yeah was only meaning to share own list, just as a starter guide for myself.. in time, I will have my own lists or certain foods, lunches, dinners that I will likely stick to often. Wonder if there is a way to share one's own lists on the site as a pinned post or something (if anyone wanted to). Would be helpful I'd think for others to see what another member has on their food lists. Just an idea. Think I might struggle with breakfasts a bit. I had a boiled egg this morning and some tomatoes! I'll miss my cereal but now realise that a lot of cereal is full of sugar!

Thanks for all the advice folks. Really appreciate that. Probably better real life advice on here than I'll get from my GP. I was reading about CGM devices... is that better do you think? Dont mind the finger prick testing either though.
I’ve just switched from finger prick tests to a Libre2 which I’m self funding.
It’s giving me lots more information about how I respond to various foods and it’s prompting me to make wiser choices (apart from those where I’m deliberately pushing things in order to test recovery rates etc).

I’ve got a thread on here in the Tech section about my experiences with the sensor.

I’ve just switched from finger prick tests to a Libre2 which I’m self funding.
It’s giving me lots more information about how I respond to various foods and it’s prompting me to make wiser choices (apart from those where I’m deliberately pushing things in order to test recovery rates etc).

I’ve got a thread on here in the Tech section about my experiences with the sensor.
Thanks.. I'll have a look at your thread. I'm going to ask my GP tomorrow if I can get one on prescription... chancing my arm likely but worth asking I thought as scripts here in Scotland are free. Fingers crossed!

Was wondering what people do in terms of getting their feet checked by a podiatrist/chiropodist. NHS or private? And how often you do it. Thanks all.

Was wondering what people do in terms of getting their feet checked by a podiatrist/chiropodist. NHS or private? And how often you do it. Thanks all.
It should be done shortly after diagnosis by your diabetic nurse at your GP surgery and annually after that. You should also have retinal eye screening, that is done in different ways depending on where you are, sometimes at Specsavers who have the contract in that area, others at a mobile unit or health centre but again shortly after diagnosis and then annually or sometimes 2 years if no issues.

It should be done shortly after diagnosis by your diabetic nurse at your GP surgery and annually after that. You should also have retinal eye screening, that is done in different ways depending on where you are, sometimes at Specsavers who have the contract in that area, others at a mobile unit or health centre but again shortly after diagnosis and then annually or sometimes 2 years if no issues.
Thanks Leadinglights... still not heard from my GP. Tried calling today and was held in a queue for 45mins and I gave up. Will try again tomorrow which is now a week since the hospital consultant told me I had diabetes! Madness

Been 15 years and not had mine checked more than about twice. It should be done annually by a nurse or HCP at the GP surgery usually though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back