Diagnosed Wed 3rd May!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotcheggs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Was in hospital Wednesday past for Cardiac procedure but was also told after it that I have diabetes. Explains a few things now that I've been told. Feeling bit shell shocked so looked up the DiabetesUK site and pleased I did as its full of great info. Thought I'd pop on here and say a quick hello to all 🙂
Craig

Welcome!
Did anyone mention the HbA1c blood test result? That usually gives a good indication of how far into the danger zone you are.

Code:
HbA1c             42             47
------------------|--|--|--|--|--|------------------------
  normal            pre-diabetic             diabetic

Welcome!
Did anyone mention the HbA1c blood test result? That usually gives a good indication of how far into the danger zone you are.

Code:
HbA1c             42             47
------------------|--|--|--|--|--|------------------------
  normal            pre-diabetic             diabetic
Hi Transistor... no, the consultant just said that they had noticed on my blood tests for the cardiac stuff, that I def had diabetes and that I would need medication asap...so he was going to call my GP that afternoon. Needless to say I heard nothing from my GP and now we are at the holiday weekend! I've adjusted my diet already though! Been having strange pains / numbness and pins & needles in my feet/hands/lower arms.

Hello and welcome
I'm pleased to read you are finding the site helpful and have started adjusting your diet. I suggest you get onto your GP first thing Tuesday and keep pushing for your HbA1c and an urgent appointment. You need to know where you are starting from, and the hospital has indicated you needed medication ASAP. Some GP's are good and some sadly not so good. The normal first medication is Metformin which can have unfortunate side effects and be disruptive to a working person. You can request the slow release version if necessary.
May I make a couple of suggestions? Start checking the carb content of everything you ingest, and keep a food diary. I do that by means of an app, weighing (everything at first), and no guesstimating. Others use various means - spreadsheets, checking packaging, reference books etc. Secondly, try and reduce your carbs slowly, as too much too soon can cause eye problems. It is suggested to aim for less than 130gm carbs a day, but it varies from person to person - everyone has different sensitivity levels. I experimented between 50gm and 130gm, settling on 75gm - 90gm.
I hope your cardiac treatment went OK. I expect you have been given advice on exercise for your heart and it will also help with diabetes. Best wishes.

Hello and welcome
I'm pleased to read you are finding the site helpful and have started adjusting your diet. I suggest you get onto your GP first thing Tuesday and keep pushing for your HbA1c and an urgent appointment. You need to know where you are starting from, and the hospital has indicated you needed medication ASAP. Some GP's are good and some sadly not so good. The normal first medication is Metformin which can have unfortunate side effects and be disruptive to a working person. You can request the slow release version if necessary.
May I make a couple of suggestions? Start checking the carb content of everything you ingest, and keep a food diary. I do that by means of an app, weighing (everything at first), and no guesstimating. Others use various means - spreadsheets, checking packaging, reference books etc. Secondly, try and reduce your carbs slowly, as too much too soon can cause eye problems. It is suggested to aim for less than 130gm carbs a day, but it varies from person to person - everyone has different sensitivity levels. I experimented between 50gm and 130gm, settling on 75gm - 90gm.
I hope your cardiac treatment went OK. I expect you have been given advice on exercise for your heart and it will also help with diabetes. Best wishes.
Thank you Felinia. That's very helpful. I'll find out from GP the level of HbA1c. I'll phone on Tuesday morning 8am...I know I'll be in a queuing system for about an hour until they answer my call! I've stocked up on fruit and veg, turkey steaks, pork steaks and have cleared out my cupboards and fridge of things I think I should avoid now. Not easy, but needs must. Had heart attack and have unstable angina. Still some blockage on right side of my heart so awaiting a further angiogram and attempt to clear the blockage. Wasn't quite my lucky day last Wednesday! Hope you're well. Craig

Thank you Felinia. That's very helpful. I'll find out from GP the level of HbA1c. I'll phone on Tuesday morning 8am...I know I'll be in a queuing system for about an hour until they answer my call! I've stocked up on fruit and veg, turkey steaks, pork steaks and have cleared out my cupboards and fridge of things I think I should avoid now. Not easy, but needs must. Had heart attack and have unstable angina. Still some blockage on right side of my heart so awaiting a further angiogram and attempt to clear the blockage. Wasn't quite my lucky day last Wednesday! Hope you're well. Craig
That looks like a good start but do be careful of fruit as many fruits are quite high in carbs especially tropical fruits, apples, pears, melon middlish and berries are the lowest but that doesn't mean to say you should have lots.
The book or app Carbs and Cals is very good at giving carb values of various portions of a whole range of foods. I think I was given a copy when diagnosed as prediabetic and it has been my bible ever since.

That looks like a good start but do be careful of fruit as many fruits are quite high in carbs especially tropical fruits, apples, pears, melon middlish and berries are the lowest but that doesn't mean to say you should have lots.
The book or app Carbs and Cals is very good at giving carb values of various portions of a whole range of foods. I think I was given a copy when diagnosed as prediabetic and it has been my bible ever since.
Hi Leadinglights. I'll look up the app. Yesterday I bought apples, easy peelers and bananas. Guess I'll skip the apples then. Having turkey steaks, cauliflower and carrots for dinner!

Hi Leadinglights. I'll look up the app. Yesterday I bought apples, easy peelers and bananas. Guess I'll skip the apples then. Having turkey steaks, cauliflower and carrots for dinner!
Passing observation: I have had the Carbs and Cals book from the outset and think it's pretty good. I (foolishly) thought the app would also serve me well; but its expensive annually and far from comprehensive. I started making a list of basic UK foods that I needed a memory jogger with and once my list was well into double figures I realised the app was poor value. The book also helps by having a single page listing similar foods, eg fruits, veg, bakery items and from those lists you can see what items are lower carb than others.

Also, consider introducing dietary changes slowly, not dramatically. This is much kinder on your body and likely to cause you less problems as you can get various reactions (usually short term) to the metabolic change you are introducing.

Passing observation: I have had the Carbs and Cals book from the outset and think it's pretty good. I (foolishly) thought the app would also serve me well; but its expensive annually and far from comprehensive. I started making a list of basic UK foods that I needed a memory jogger with and once my list was well into double figures I realised the app was poor value. The book also helps by having a single page listing similar foods, eg fruits, veg, bakery items and from those lists you can see what items are lower carb than others.

Also, consider introducing dietary changes slowly, not dramatically. This is much kinder on your body and likely to cause you less problems as you can get various reactions (usually short term) to the metabolic change you are introducing.
Hi Proud. That list sounds helpful... would you share? I've just downloaded the carbs/cals app and immediately realised to get the full use of it you need to pay! I'll have a nosey for the book on Amazon/Ebay.

Welcome ! If you get yourself a glucose meter and test before and after meals to start with you will get an idea of what you can tolerate, you may be surprised. Apples for example , yes not good but I have found if I eat half an apple with cheese its tolerated. we are all different however. Takes a while to learn stuff but after a year it will become second nature and you will have almost all food carb figures in your head.

I like your positive attitude and willingness to listen to advice and tailor it to your circumstances.

Don't be afraid of your HbA1c result. I am presuming it was a higher number that got that consultants response. My own, when rushed to hospital, was 150 (very high) but now it is 37 and is just fine. I managed without meds but your situation may be different. I changed my diet, started exercise, and lost loads of weight. What I am saying is that Wednesday might actually have been a good day as now that you and the NHS are aware of your diagnosis you can do something positive about it and hopefully become healthier and fitter and more wellerer.

It will be interesting to see your HbA1c result and what you and your GP agree to do about things.

Good luck

Something you can do this weekend is order a blood glucose monitor off the Internet. Lots of recommendations as to which one on this site (the general trade off is cost of buying it, vs cost of buying the test strips thereafter!)

Many of us, especially when newly diagnosed (I'm still just pre-D, and trying to not worsen!), find it helpful to get to grips over changes in diet (well done!) and see visibly, on the meter, just what impact that is having on our blood sugar levels around the day/night.

The tests are finger pricks, then a drop of blood onto the test strip, then bingo, it gives you your reading.

I've found it very, very helpful to guide me forward now.

With the Hb1A test, that is what the docs use to make a formal diagnosis. It's because it measures how much glucose is attached to your red blood cells, which last a few months before being replenished - that means the docs can see what your 'average' blood glucose is over a period of months.

If they give you one now (which I'm sure they will), then you will probably be offered another one in three months (ie, when you have a fresh set of red blood cells circulating) to see if your changes in diet/exercise and any meds they put you on, is making a difference in the right directionl.

All the best with it, and good luck with your convalescence from the heart attack!!!

@Dave_Z1a absolutely right. Everyone is different and the same foods will affect different people differently.

The advice about getting a blood glucose meter and testing is good. Test before a meal and again 2 hours later. Your GP may or may not agree to prescribing one but point out to them that it is nigh on impossible to know what foods are doing to your blood glucose levels without one. No, it IS impossible!! I use a Spirit Tee2 meter. The test strips are not too expensive but my GP prescibed them thankfully.

The bananas are worse than the apples for many people. Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries all good for most people.
Many find having a home testing blood glucose monitor is very useful as it both helps you decide what you can't safely eat without it pushing up your blood glucose but what you can eat. As everybody is different some people are fine with apples some not, similarly bananas, a half may be fine but a whole one not so good.

I like your positive attitude and willingness to listen to advice and tailor it to your circumstances.

Don't be afraid of your HbA1c result. I am presuming it was a higher number that got that consultants response. My own, when rushed to hospital, was 150 (very high) but now it is 37 and is just fine. I managed without meds but your situation may be different. I changed my diet, started exercise, and lost loads of weight. What I am saying is that Wednesday might actually have been a good day as now that you and the NHS are aware of your diagnosis you can do something positive about it and hopefully become healthier and fitter and more wellerer.

It will be interesting to see your HbA1c result and what you and your GP agree to do about things.

Good luck
Hi Gwynn. yip Wednesday was my reset/review life day it seems. Seeing it as positive and as you say can now deal with it all, rather than carrying on clueless.

Something you can do this weekend is order a blood glucose monitor off the Internet. Lots of recommendations as to which one on this site (the general trade off is cost of buying it, vs cost of buying the test strips thereafter!)

Many of us, especially when newly diagnosed (I'm still just pre-D, and trying to not worsen!), find it helpful to get to grips over changes in diet (well done!) and see visibly, on the meter, just what impact that is having on our blood sugar levels around the day/night.

The tests are finger pricks, then a drop of blood onto the test strip, then bingo, it gives you your reading.

I've found it very, very helpful to guide me forward now.

With the Hb1A test, that is what the docs use to make a formal diagnosis. It's because it measures how much glucose is attached to your red blood cells, which last a few months before being replenished - that means the docs can see what your 'average' blood glucose is over a period of months.

If they give you one now (which I'm sure they will), then you will probably be offered another one in three months (ie, when you have a fresh set of red blood cells circulating) to see if your changes in diet/exercise and any meds they put you on, is making a difference in the right directionl.

All the best with it, and good luck with your convalescence from the heart attack!!!
I was looking this morning at glucose monitors on Amazon. Amazon have their own version that seems good and has lots of positive reviews. My GP might prescribe one; can only ask.

Thanks for all the advice folks. Really appreciate that. Probably better real life advice on here than I'll get from my GP. I was reading about CGM devices... is that better do you think? Dont mind the finger prick testing either though.

Thanks for all the advice folks. Really appreciate that. Probably better real life advice on here than I'll get from my GP. I was reading about CGM devices... is that better do you think? Dont mind the finger prick testing either though.
I think it al depends, they are expensive though as it would be unlikely you would get one funded. The sensors last a couple of weeks and are about £40 each. Abbott offer a 2 week free trial of the Libre 2 so as long as you have a compatible phone that might be something to investigate. It will give you lots of information which you would need to interpret so you know how best to use the data.
There are quite a few threads about CGMs of different types which people use.

Hi Craig
Lots more helpful information since my post. The app I use is NutraCheck which is UK based and very comprehensive. There is a free trial then a monthly fee. Even if you get the web version as well as the app, it works out at less than £2 a week (less than a coffee shop coffee!). I get my fruit fix with frozen fruit - I usually get the strawberry/blueberry mix. A portion size is 80gm and I was advised no more than 2 portions of fruit a day. I also have a lot of fish (not battered or crumbed) such as salmon, tuna, mackerel, white fish. I bake in foil with a veggie topping like mushrooms/tomatoes/peppers or fish seasoning. I like it with home made ratatouille (peppers, courgettes, onions, tinned tomatoes, aubergines). It's also good for a heart healthy diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back