DexcomOne+ or Freestyle Libra2plus (to self fund)

My first CGM was an eye opener. Obviously I knew about the effects of carbs like bread, potatoes etc but seeing it spiked so much was a wake up call. Porridge and lentils which I relied on proved to be a no no for me.
Use it to see what works for you and what doesn’t. Sometimes spikes are delayed because of fats in the meal or even a glass of wine.
8 months on from my first CGM I’ve lost 10k and despite eating more cheese, eggs, fats and proteins than ever before my A1c is 41 down from 67 , my cholesterol is lower and I feel better. I now use Dexcom1+ self funded and although I need a little insulin each day I’m still working on reducing that need if possible. Good luck.

My guess is that's a good way to start: just see what happens for a couple of days when you're doing what you normally do. Then try a few (fairly obvious) tweaks (like a walk after eating, for example) and see what they do. If you're curious about particular foods, it would make sense to make sure you've bought whatever's needed so you can try them. Similarly, if you've been missing going to a particular restaurant, clear time to try that.

But I'm Type 1 so I'm largely guessing about what's likely to be best for you.
Thank you - this is really helpful. Especially about being prepared with the food. I've done a shop and just applied the sensor. Can't believe it didn't hurt at all!

@Foz556 Yep applying the sensor doesn’t hurt at all, hope you get on well with your trial
don’t forget you can also trial the DexcomOne+ they will send you one (you just pay the delivery cost) if you haven’t yet and want to trial it you can request one here
https://uk.store.dexcom.com/en-GB/dexcom-one-plus/STE-D7-001.html (if that works)

I myself still haven’t 100% made up my mind which I’m going for between the Freestyle Libra2plus & the DexcomOne+

hi @stev1
as @Bruce Stephens has already posted
to get a Freestyle Libra2plus on their 15 day FREE trial just head over to their website
fill out a registration, ensure you declare you are diabetic and over 18 and they should send you one

I got the DexcomOne+ on their free trial (just paid£4.99P&P)
which was ordered via their website

however, many have recently posted after Dexcom were swamped with requests they (as it was number limited) seemed to pull it from their website
HOWEVER I’ve just looked on their website
they are again taking registrations to receive a free trial of the DexcomOne+
see here

note
on registration at Dexcom ensure you tick the box, to declare you are diabetic within your profile
to be VAT exempt, otherwise when you pay delivery it will automatically add 20% VAT to the delivery charge.

Hope this helps
Hi Thank you very much for the information,big help.

I rang Dexcom and asked them! Explained that I was trialling both as a self funder and they sent me a G7 to try. This was about a year ago tho. They were offering trials of the One+ a couple of weeks ago so it might be worth a call.
Thank you for the information may give it a try.

I've given up with Dexcom 1+. When the rest of my initial 9 unit order is used up it's back to Libre 2(plus?) for me. Successive sensors with gross inaccuracies have soured me. e.g. the last one persisted in scoring me at under 4.0, despite repeated calibrations at 5.6 or so. Like it was scared of venturing above 4 and kept retreating back to safety.

Also the initial 24 hour stutter got to me.

So bye bye and hello Libre.

So I have been using the FreeStyle Libre (2) and it has been incredibly useful in managing my blood sugar levels. I think I'll try and get a free trial with Dexcom too (why not!) but I would really like to continue having a CGM in some form going forward as I feel this is the way I could finally get into remission. Being able to see the level really keeps me in check with my diet (I'm not on any medication). I'm investigating the prices of both CGMs to get the cheapest option (I know a few people have posted their number crunching on here - thank you, all very helpful!) My recent HbA1C was 61 which is much higher than my last one of 53 but I was trying a calorie controlled diet (that certainaly didn't work) so I'm back to low carb and so far I have seen exactly what one piece of brown bread does to my blood sugars (12!!!!) and since having it I have now got an average blood sugar level of 5.2 for the last 5 days. I can't seem to see any down side to to using a CGM apart from the cost and the possibility that the reading may be slightly inaccurate.

So I have been using the FreeStyle Libre (2) and it has been incredibly useful in managing my blood sugar levels. I think I'll try and get a free trial with Dexcom too (why not!) but I would really like to continue having a CGM in some form going forward as I feel this is the way I could finally get into remission. Being able to see the level really keeps me in check with my diet (I'm not on any medication). I'm investigating the prices of both CGMs to get the cheapest option (I know a few people have posted their number crunching on here - thank you, all very helpful!) My recent HbA1C was 61 which is much higher than my last one of 53 but I was trying a calorie controlled diet (that certainaly didn't work) so I'm back to low carb and so far I have seen exactly what one piece of brown bread does to my blood sugars (12!!!!) and since having it I have now got an average blood sugar level of 5.2 for the last 5 days. I can't seem to see any down side to to using a CGM apart from the cost and the possibility that the reading may be slightly inaccurate.
IMG_1050.jpeg
There’s the Dexcom One+ on subscription.

I found after trialling both, that Dexcom were much more accurate, having the calibration feature. With 2 or3 calibrations, I usually get mine within 0.5 mmol. I cannot see the point of paying for something that you have to mentally add a random number to get an accurate reading!

View attachment 31494
There’s the Dexcom One+ on subscription.

I found after trialling both, that Dexcom were much more accurate, having the calibration feature. With 2 or3 calibrations, I usually get mine within 0.5 mmol. I cannot see the point of paying for something that you have to mentally add a random number to get an accurate reading!
Thanks this is really helpful. I didn't realise that you could do a subscription with Dexcom. Was the sensor pretty much the same with the application and the app?

I’ve only tried the Libre 2 and not their newest 2 plus so cannot comment on its accuracy.
But I’ve found the dexcom1+ to be very accurate, at times matching a finger prick exactly. I’m aware there’s a margin for error in both the sensor and the meter but it’s working for me.
Good luck in making that choice. When I contacted Dexcom I was up front about self funding and wanting to compare Dexcom against Libre. They were very helpful and although keen to get my business were not overly pushy which I appreciated.

I’ve only tried the Libre 2 and not their newest 2 plus so cannot comment on its accuracy.
But I’ve found the dexcom1+ to be very accurate, at times matching a finger prick exactly. I’m aware there’s a margin for error in both the sensor and the meter but it’s working for me.
Good luck in making that choice. When I contacted Dexcom I was up front about self funding and wanting to compare Dexcom against Libre. They were very helpful and although keen to get my business were not overly pushy which I appreciated.
Thanks, this is good to know about the accuracy as I don't finger prick test so am unable to compare. Dexcom free trial on it's way!

Thanks this is really helpful. I didn't realise that you could do a subscription with Dexcom. Was the sensor pretty much the same with the application and the app?
Yes. I had a Libre 2 and Dexcom 7 to trial. Both worked via an app. Dex sensors were smaller than the L2. The reason I went with Dexcom despite it being more expensive was its accuracy and reliability. I had to trial THREE Libres and none of them worked correctly. The G7 was fine from the start. As I said I have now changed to One+ as it’s cheaper, but does the same job.

Meh. Maybe I'm too blasé about things but I find Libre 2 is fine. Sure, it's sometimes a bit different to a test strip, but they're not perfectly accurate either. Libre 2 is (usually) accurate enough to be useful.
The One+ with a couple of calibrations is usually within 0.5 mmol, amd since I’m self funding there is no point in having something that is not accurate.

Update from me (who started this thread a few weeks ago) as a newbie to CGM

I tried both the Libra2Plus & the DexcomOne+
then finally today my GP sent me a message funding has now been approved (for the freestyle libra2)
TBH having tried both, for me they both have their own advantages & disadvantages
but as I won’t need to self fund that’s a relief anyway

Update from me (who started this thread a few weeks ago) as a newbie to CGM

I tried both the Libra2Plus & the DexcomOne+
then finally today my GP sent me a message funding has now been approved (for the freestyle libra2)
TBH having tried both, for me they both have their own advantages & disadvantages
but as I won’t need to self fund that’s a relief anyway
That's really good news. Great that they will fund it for you!

Back