Dexcom

I think when I started self funding there was no free trial but there was a nice simple offer: £150 got you 2 sensors and a reader and after that you could just buy sensors as you wanted. Dexcom was more set up for subscription. Now, a subscription can make more sense but I wasn't sure how much I'd get out of it. And the sensors were cheaper (less functional because it wasn't a CGM at the time, so no alarms or anything). So Libre was just the simpler thing to try, with no commitment.

Since then there's been something of a convergence, with Libre becoming a CGM and Dexcom introducing a cheaper One and then One+. I get the impression the offer from Dexcom to the NHS is now better than Abbott's, which is presumably why some people are reporting they're being encouraged to switch over.
Yes, that was the offer I started out on too and I hoped that I would get it on prescription sooner or later, so better and cheaper than taking out the subscription with Dexcom which also seemed so much more complex. Having said that I had to wait to get Libre as there was a shortage for months because they were not geared up for the huge market surge in their product.

There certainly has been a notable push by both companies to target each others market by bringing out products with similar features. I am not sure that Dexcom has done a deal with the NHS as a whole to undercut Libre 2 with their One+ but it seems like their reps have been given some leeway to negotiate with GP practices at a local level if they can swap the majority of patients to their product. I believe this is a common pharma rep strategy when another company has an NHS stronghold, which is why we sometimes see them swapping (or trying to) our needles or test strips for another brand because they have been given a good small local deal if they can order or guarantee prescribing enough units. I believe it is the same with all other meds.

One point to note, there is a new Dexcom
Sensor coming out shortly it begins with S (steveco I think) / it lasts for 14/15 days and does not require a prescription.

It is aimed at T2 users predominantly and comes with a lot of the G7 tech built in. One feature I’m quite keen on is direct to watch connectivity versus via an app.

It is aimed at T2 users predominantly
Also (I suspect) the general health/fitness market. Rebadged Libre sensors have been sold similarly. Hope some of them are cheap enough for more people (with Type 2) to use them. (I doubt people who don't have diabetes or RH should.)

One point to note, there is a new Dexcom
Sensor coming out shortly it begins with S (steveco I think) / it lasts for 14/15 days and does not require a prescription.

It is aimed at T2 users predominantly and comes with a lot of the G7 tech built in. One feature I’m quite keen on is direct to watch connectivity versus via an app.

It’s Stelo 🙂 :

Back