Dexcom...not impressed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree with you there. Not only do you feel better for good sleep, but BG levels improve too.

Totally agree with you there. Not only do you feel better for good sleep, but BG levels improve too.
Indeed.
It weird, this diabetes thing. I feel like i am doing experiments to see 'what works' all the time. Trouble is, i'm hardly objective about it. And i do think it weird that i've got more info on living with diabetes from this forum, and you tube, than the nhs.

I find it totally understandable that people who live with Type 1 diabetes 24 hours a day 7 days a week for years if not decades know more about what it is like to live with it than DSNs and endocrinologist who have been taught the theory.
That is the value of groups such as forums.

I find it totally understandable that people who live with Type 1 diabetes 24 hours a day 7 days a week for years if not decades know more about what it is like to live with it than DSNs and endocrinologist who have been taught the theory.
That is the value of groups such as forums.
Perhaps if they were a little more interested in hearing their patients solutions, then they could suggest them to other patients, if medically sound, that is.
Mind you still waiting for daphne over a year since diagnosis

They don't normally offer you a DAFNE course until you have 6 months experience and with Covid, I imagine they are pretty backlogged as there were none held for about 2 years in some areas and then it takes another few months to get a slot on one of the courses you are offered, so a year isn't unreasonable to wait in the current climate. There was a lady on my course who had 50 years with Type 1 and was just getting the course and another guy who had 15 years and hadn't been offered one before, so it is not just newly diagnosed people that they are trying to fit onto these courses. You also have to bear in mind that the courses are run by highly qualified DSNs and diabetic dieticians from within the NHS, so they have to be released from general practice at the clinics to run the courses. The clinics are already overloaded with patients and understaffed, so a week out every months or so for those educators is challenging for the system, particularly in the current climate, so they can't just put on extra courses to accommodate everyone and catch up because they don't have the staff.

I attended DAFNE 12 years after my diagnosis. I find it amazing that it is offered to some people after 6 months.
There are so many web resources about diabetes, we can learn for ourself. I appreciate that is not ideal but given how much the NHS is struggling, I believe it is my social duty to ease the pressure where we can. For example, Bertie is a great resource.

I attended DAFNE 12 years after my diagnosis. I find it amazing that it is offered to some people after 6 months.
There are so many web resources about diabetes, we can learn for ourself. I appreciate that is not ideal but given how much the NHS is struggling, I believe it is my social duty to ease the pressure where we can. For example, Bertie is a great resource.

Some clinics insist on doing course before moving onto pumps, mine did at time even though been carb counting for very long time.

Some clinics insist on doing course before moving onto pumps, mine did at time even though been carb counting for very long time.
Mine too. That was the only reason I attended the DAFNE course after 12 years.

DAFNE is about so much more than carb counting though. I personally think the acronym and it's meaning is perhaps a bit misleading and makes it sound like it is just a carb counting course. For me, learning to adjust my basal was probably the key thing I learned from it and improved confidence in general, but also safely managing exercise and alcohol and illness etc with insulin.

DAFNE is about so much more than carb counting though. I personally think the acronym and it's meaning is perhaps a bit misleading and makes it sound like it is just a carb counting course. For me, learning to adjust my basal was probably the key thing I learned from it and improved confidence in general, but also safely managing exercise and alcohol and illness etc with insulin.
That's probably why my area don't call it DAFNE. They call it Freedom4Life.
I guess it covers everything although very cheesy

Totally agree with those points, plus camaraderie in group is good as everyone there shares same experience of living with type 1, meaniing ups & downs & everything in between.

I'm looking foward to daphne. Whilst my control is fine, i have rather hone low carb and there are quite a lots of foods i just found too hard to eatcwitjout going low, especially in the early months before i got my cgm.
They really ought to give you a cgm as soon as you are on insulin. Not sure how i dealt with those early months, no idea what i was going, far too high basal (on 2 now, they started me on 10) and no cgm

I'm looking foward to daphne. Whilst my control is fine, i have rather hone low carb and there are quite a lots of foods i just found too hard to eatcwitjout going low, especially in the early months before i got my cgm.
They really ought to give you a cgm as soon as you are on insulin. Not sure how i dealt with those early months, no idea what i was going, far too high basal (on 2 now, they started me on 10) and no cgm
I agree with this - CGMs should be considered an essential element of diabetes treatment.
I don't know how I would cope if I did not have my CGM (currently Dexcom G6). If I ever lose funding from the NHS I will need to go SKIing to self-fund (Spending Kids' Inheritance).

I agree with this - CGMs should be considered an essential element of diabetes treatment.
I don't know how I would cope if I did not have my CGM (currently Dexcom G6). If I ever lose funding from the NHS I will need to go SKIing to self-fund (Spending Kids' Inheritance).
Just been checking dates, on 23/11/22 the consultant suggested moving to dexcom due to my lack of sleep. Nearly 2 months on and £160 lighter in my pocket, and the nhs still doesn't seem to have done anything at all re me getting dexcom.

I know the nhs is like a religion but this is taking the micky.

Just been checking dates, on 23/11/22 the consultant suggested moving to dexcom due to my lack of sleep. Nearly 2 months on and £160 lighter in my pocket, and the nhs still doesn't seem to have done anything at all re me getting dexcom.

I know the nhs is like a religion but this is taking the micky.
And to put the icing on the cake my libre is now refusing to give me alarms on my phone, so i guess will need to phone libre and get receiver sent, as only have one dexcom, the dsn hasn't replied ( prob on strike) and i have no confidence that they won't take another age to get their butts into gear.
Its bad enough having diabetes without having the extra burden of endlessly chasing the people who are paid to 'help' us. Still waiting px that were 'issued' on 9th jan. Lucky i order in advance.
I am in a bad mood.

And to put the icing on the cake my libre is now refusing to give me alarms on my phone, so i guess will need to phone libre and get receiver sent, as only have one dexcom, the dsn hasn't replied ( prob on strike) and i have no confidence that they won't take another age to get their butts into gear.
Its bad enough having diabetes without having the extra burden of endlessly chasing the people who are paid to 'help' us. Still waiting px that were 'issued' on 9th jan. Lucky i order in advance.
I am in a bad mood.
I have been approved for dexcom g6. So happy!

Congratulations!

How soon will you be given the G6?
I think they said it would be 4-5 working days.

Hopefully will have lot less disturbed nights!

I think they said it would be 4-5 working days.

Hopefully will have lot less disturbed nights!
Well, this is a fine kettle of fish. My dexcom runs out today. As i was accepted for more, i didn't chase up getting a libre receiver. I also am off work with kidney stones, and therefore my insulin requirements have changed, and am in pain a fair bit and finding it hard to eat, and frequantly nauseus. Also Dsn off on 3 weeks leave so can't chase with then.
Not a great time to have no alarms.
Still, my bs are on the high side and my basal on point, and i think i have worked out my new 'sick' ratios.8

Well, this is a fine kettle of fish. My dexcom runs out today. As i was accepted for more, i didn't chase up getting a libre receiver. I also am off work with kidney stones, and therefore my insulin requirements have changed, and am in pain a fair bit and finding it hard to eat, and frequantly nauseus. Also Dsn off on 3 weeks leave so can't chase with then.
Not a great time to have no alarms.
Still, my bs are on the high side and my basal on point, and i think i have worked out my new 'sick' ratios.8
I believe kidney stones can be incredibly painful, are you having any treatment ?
I hope you are coping OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back