Dexcom G6 or G7 prescription on NHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristan13

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Are there any fellow Type 1 Diabetics here who have managed to get an NHS prescription for a Dexcom G6 or G7?

Until recently I was living in London, where my diabetes clinic (Charing Cross) totally refused to prescribe either of these for me. I was only offered Freestyle Libre 2 or Dexcom ONE. I explained that I had tried Libre 2 and it constantly gave me incorrect readings and didn’t offer an option to calibrate, plus I found the need to scan irritating, while I didn’t want Dexcom ONE as it’s designed for Type 2 Diabetics and doesn’t offer any facility for friends/family to monitor your levels or receive alerts. None of the consultants seemed to care, though. I even asked about Freestyle Libre 3, but that wasn’t an option either.

As such, I self-funded G6 until G7 came out, at which point I switched to that. Both of these products have worked brilliantly for me as a relatively new T1 (diagnosed in March 2022). However, the financial cost is a burden I could do without.

I’ve heard of T1s in some places being prescribed Dexcom G6. I’m going to my new clinic (Taunton) for the first time in a couple of weeks and wondering if anyone knows what the prescription criteria are to get G6 or G7? Is there something you’re supposed to say or is it a postcode lottery?

I would think there’s quite a lot of luck involved. We get G6 prescribed, but only because it links with my daughter’s pump to help control her blood sugars. I used the argument that my daughter was spending far too much time in the medical room at school recovering from hypos (she had Libre 1 at the time, so no alarms) and having alerts and some interaction from pump would help her no end. Hospital agreed to pay for them for 6 months to see if her blood sugars would improve significantly. Nearly 3 years later they are still paying and we are keeping quiet! She’s due to change pump next year so I expect it will get reviewed then.

I would think there’s quite a lot of luck involved. We get G6 prescribed, but only because it links with my daughter’s pump to help control her blood sugars. I used the argument that my daughter was spending far too much time in the medical room at school recovering from hypos (she had Libre 1 at the time, so no alarms) and having alerts and some interaction from pump would help her no end. Hospital agreed to pay for them for 6 months to see if her blood sugars would improve significantly. Nearly 3 years later they are still paying and we are keeping quiet! She’s due to change pump next year so I expect it will get reviewed then.
Very glad it worked out for your daughter. I think part of my trouble is I manage my blood glucose levels extremely well with G7, so the consultants take the view that I don’t need any further help. I try explaining that I can only do this because I have G7 and wouldn’t be able to without, but they don’t seem to get it. I’m not willing to ditch G7 and lose control of my levels in an attempt to convince them.

I didn’t want Dexcom ONE as it’s designed for Type 2 Diabetics
This is the first I have heard of this. It is definitely used by people with Type 1 and is included in the NICE guidelines for us.
I thought Dexcom released it as a low cost option to compete with Libre 2 (which is also used by people with Type 1) as it was losing its market share.
I agree it cannot be used by the follower app but that has nothing to do with what type of diabetes you have - it is about cost.

Have you tried Libre with the unofficial apps such as Juggluco, xDrip, Shuggah, etc.?
These allow you calibrate the sensor and transmits the data via Bluetooth to the app so you don't need to scan. For some, the disadvantage is that you cannot share data with your diabetes team but if you are self funding the G7, I suspect you are not doing so today.

Sadly, the G6 and G7 are significantly more expensive which is why it is harder to get these on prescription. Yes, it is all down to money. Those who cannot afford it get the cheaper option.

At least there is an option available to all without paying (or rather paying via taxes). Unlike in some other countries.

This is the first I have heard of this. It is definitely used by people with Type 1 and is included in the NICE guidelines for us.
I thought Dexcom released it as a low cost option to compete with Libre 2 (which is also used by people with Type 1) as it was losing its market share.
I agree it cannot be used by the follower app but that has nothing to do with what type of diabetes you have - it is about cost.

Have you tried Libre with the unofficial apps such as Juggluco, xDrip, Shuggah, etc.?
These allow you calibrate the sensor and transmits the data via Bluetooth to the app so you don't need to scan. For some, the disadvantage is that you cannot share data with your diabetes team but if you are self funding the G7, I suspect you are not doing so today.

Sadly, the G6 and G7 are significantly more expensive which is why it is harder to get these on prescription. Yes, it is all down to money. Those who cannot afford it get the cheaper option.

At least there is an option available to all without paying (or rather paying via taxes). Unlike in some other countries.
I was on the phone to Dexcom customer support about a separate matter and ended up discussing my situation with the very friendly and helpful customer service agent. She said it was frustrating for Dexcom that so many hospitals are reluctant to prescribe G6 and G7, but that it’s not unheard of. It was she who told me that Dexcom ONE is really only suitable for T2s and that T1s should stick to G6/G7.

Frankly, the NHS wastes so much money, I don’t see why we should be having to mess about with third party apps to make the second-best products work properly. The latest technology should be on prescription for us.

She said it was frustrating for Dexcom that so many hospitals are reluctant to prescribe G6 and G7, but that it’s not unheard of. It was she who told me that Dexcom ONE is really only suitable for T2s and that T1s should stick to G6/G7.
A dexcom sales rep would say that… they want to sell the more expensive product. Very very few T2s will be eligible for Dexcom One it’s more T1s that get it.

You say it’s the family and friends tracking your blood sugar that’s the main thing you need the G6/G7 for, why is this? Do you need help with hypo awareness or with managing your diabetes? I’d focus on becoming more independent as there will hopefully be ways you can improve your BGs that don’t involve relying on friends and family monitoring your BG

I’ve heard of T1s in some places being prescribed Dexcom G6. I’m going to my new clinic (Taunton) for the first time in a couple of weeks and wondering if anyone knows what the prescription criteria are to get G6 or G7? Is there something you’re supposed to say or is it a postcode lottery?
I have a G6 funded by the nhs. Guide lines state you should be offered what suits your needs.
Mind you I was told the other day that unless I consent to share my data my funding will be withdrawn!
As I have no intention of replacing my now defunct iPhone there could be a slight difficulty there.

I have g6. I was being woken up at night, once 10 times, by my libre 2 with false low alerts. I never had the problem before but had low a1c and therefore I ran close to the low level at night.
I bought g6 for a trial and found it didn't give false low alerts. I asked for libre 3, they said that wasn't possible but i got g6.
I also lack hypo awareness.
Dexcom g6 is brill for me. So accurate. Always with around 0.2 of a fingerprick if level. Plus it starts off fairly accurate, unlike libre 2 which is very dodgy at first even is inserted a day ir two before starting

My son has G6 prescribed because it talks to his pump but it took a while to get funding.

The dexcom one is worth a try if you’re not linked up to a pump. If it’s not as good for you then you will have the data to show the difference which may help you argue your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back