Denial

Sally71

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
I am not diabetic but I am overweight and have been for many years. And I really ought to know better given what I read on this forum! But for so long I knew what I needed to do but didn’t want to do it because I thought it would be difficult and I didn’t want to put the effort in. Then in May last year a friend came to visit and we went shopping, and I realised that I had no energy and kept having to sit down to have a rest. Erm, I’m 48 not 88, I shouldn’t be this tired all the time! The friend got me into walking every day using an app to track how far I’ve been. At the same time, daughter's diabetes annual review showed up that her iron levels were a bit borderline so I started cooking more meat and veg meals each week, and noticed how much more energy I had afterwards. These two things combined gave me the encouragement I needed to try to do something about my health and over the next few months I lost two stone in weight and feel a lot better. And it wasn’t anywhere near as difficult as I thought it would be!

Things have stagnated over the winter, I haven’t lost any more weight but only put a couple of pounds on again, and was happy at that for the time being, although overall I really need to lose at least another two stone. I need to get my act together again but had fallen into too much snacking again and was being really half hearted about it. Reading this thread has given me the determination to start again with the dietary tweaks as well as walking and see if I can lose a bit more. Thank you all :)

Pine Marten

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
On the sponge and custard point, it absolutely amazes me how the hospitals allow that to be served to diabetic patients. They look at you like youve poked them in the eye if you ask for one sugar in your tea but happily serve up whatever desert you want twice a day and then wonder why so many patients sit high all day..surely hospitals must do their part as a lot of the patients i saw shoveling ice cream down their throats every day were not mentally competent to make decisions anymore so if its down to the hospital to administer their meds and care surely its down to them to control their diets...sorry for the rant.
You're right of course, and it drives my daughter mad to see the food and also how much wastage of food there is. One of the TV chefs (James Martin?) tried to make improvements a few years ago but I don't know what lasting effect he had.

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well most Medics would most probably say if he is admitting to 30-40 , then you can possibly double that.
That‘s why I’m still in shock, and it’s more than a year since the conversation.

Most doctors also double your declared alcohol intake. However, I also know a lot of doctors who say that you’re an alcoholic if you drink as much as your doctor!!

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My friend in Plymouth who eats the ice cream for tea is supposed to call an ambulance right now as her bg today is 25 but it's been higher than that at times. She's refusing to go in case she catches Covid19. :( I said what have you been eating, she said all the bad stuff, all the things she likes ie McFlurries. I can't tell her off because pot / kettle. :(

My sister who's not told them she's not been injecting her insulin for absolutely ages ended up in hospital last night with chest pains, she had a heart attack in 2015. They let her out at half one saying borderline heart and possibly some muscular. She's still having terrible chest pains and off to Dunhelm Mill to buy a clothes rail. Good grief. Sometimes you just have to not think about it or people.

HenryBennett

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Sometimes you just have to not think about it or people.
Yup. The only way I can stop worrying about my brother and his family is to have nothing to do with them.

Pina

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My friend in Plymouth who eats the ice cream for tea is supposed to call an ambulance right now as her bg today is 25 but it's been higher than that at times. She's refusing to go in case she catches Covid19. :( I said what have you been eating, she said all the bad stuff, all the things she likes ie McFlurries. I can't tell her off because pot / kettle. :(

My sister who's not told them she's not been injecting her insulin for absolutely ages ended up in hospital last night with chest pains, she had a heart attack in 2015. They let her out at half one saying borderline heart and possibly some muscular. She's still having terrible chest pains and off to Dunhelm Mill to buy a clothes rail. Good grief. Sometimes you just have to not think about it or people.
My friends husband colapsed the other day, the paramedics did his bs, and it was nearly 15. I told my friend that it was quite high... 'oh no, it isn't' she replied. My thoughts.... get on with it.

Pina

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2

You have to take a step back sometimes, you can't do it for them.

Maz2

That is very sad to hear Pina because it is obvious he is ruining his health. I recall when I was told I was pre-diabetic I went on a course and was talking to one of the leaders. He told me I would be amazed at the number of people who don't take care of their health. As soon as I was diagnosed I came here for help and took it seriously. I had lots of advice here for which I am very grateful. I reduced my carbs and have had two normal results now over the last two years so my GP is going to reduce the frequency.

I have ordered a new updated Code Free and am still going to test and ensure I keep this down and get it even lower if I can.

I was criticised by work colleagues for being so fussy as "I was not even diabetic." I tried to explain that was the whole point. I had been given a chance and wanted to make the most of it. If it had not been for research I was taking part it I may not have known until I was actually diabetic. The researchers picked up a problem on a blood test and alerted by GP.

I have a few friends who are diabetic or pre diabetic and they are just like this. I went out with one of my friends and he took the meds then ate a really big meal with chips, then a dessert, then liqueur coffee then another one at home then chocolates. I sat there thinking the meds are to help not do everything for you but said nothing as it is not my affair what people eat.

I can understand how you feel though. I personally found it really easy to cut the carbs but, unfortunately, it is not the same for everyone. The difficulty is the more you have and the more blood sugars are up the worse it becomes and the more you want. Since cutting my carbs I have so much energy and I am never hungry.

Well done to you for taking control. I hope you friend will be OK. it is very, very sad to hear.