Cost of living crisis and your diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Struck lucky this morning, away from home called into Lidl & they were selling burgers pork kebabs sausages off for 90p per pack, some were originally priced over £3.

Handy as were having bbq on Friday so they are in freezer for now, can do this as have large chest freezer in garage.

Smart meters can be read half hourly, and one suggestion that has been voiced is to change energy pricing in the day, to encourage less use in peak periods.
Rewarded for not running the washing machine in the evening for example.

Back to ‘ecomony 7‘ and storage heaters eh? The glory days!

And one of these?!

1661195696592.jpeg

Reminds me of my first house!

Hi
Don't you get those testing strips on perscription free from the Dr? I do.
I'm lucky - I get all my stuff "free" on prescription and I am not on any meds mainly because I can check my bloods and keep track and control it by food choices and activity tweaking. I wouldn't be able to do that so effectively without checking how things impacted me. I have got a bought monitor and backup strips I paid for myself at one stage when things got a bit complicated with getting deliveries from our pharmacist.
I do consider that my prescription stuff is free because I pay exactly the same tax whether I get my prescriptions filled or not and so as far as the impact on my finances is concerned I see the equipment and consumables as free. That does not mean I consider them to have no cost to anyone and I use them carefully.
But that said I use everything carefully and always have because I am bothered about my carbon footprint and impact on the planet as that matters to me.

I clearly never left the "Glory days" then as still on storage heaters!
They are cheaper to run than the new ! Germen AeroFlow heaters.
I have the ruddy things in my bungalow, hence why I installed a log burner.

I'm lucky - I get all my stuff "free" on prescription and I am not on any meds mainly because I can check my bloods and keep track and control it by food choices and activity tweaking. I wouldn't be able to do that so effectively without checking how things impacted me. I have got a bought monitor and backup strips I paid for myself at one stage when things got a bit complicated with getting deliveries from our pharmacist.
I do consider that my prescription stuff is free because I pay exactly the same tax whether I get my prescriptions filled or not and so as far as the impact on my finances is concerned I see the equipment and consumables as free. That does not mean I consider them to have no cost to anyone and I use them carefully.
But that said I use everything carefully and always have because I am bothered about my carbon footprint and impact on the planet as that matters to me.
You must be either of a certain age or in Scotland or wales to not pay prescription charges if you’re not on any medication for diabetes. Diabetics are only exempt in England if on medication for diabetes.

That gas fire is/was a Radiation brand, can't remember the model - but anyway, the one we could have free when we bought our house in 1970, but of course being picky we opted for a more expensive Parkinson Cowan model which husband's parents had and we liked.

You must be either of a certain age or in Scotland or wales to not pay prescription charges if you’re not on any medication for diabetes. Diabetics are only exempt in England if on medication for diabetes.
I am not in England.

I bought, second hand from Ebay, some salopettes/ski trousers to wear round the house if it's cold and I'm too tight to put the heating on. I've lost weight since last winter, and think I'll feel the cold more than last year.
I've got a wood burner in the living room, I tend to keep that going to keep one room warm, and the rest will have to be colder.
I've also considered if I should go back into the office to work a few days a week, as I've been at working from home since the first lockdown. Free heating and hot water for tea if I walk to the office too.

In England, diabetes is not the only condition which qualify you for prescription exemption certificate. https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/prescriptions-and-pharmacies/who-can-get-free-prescriptions/
Someone could, for example be pregnant or being treated for cancer as well as having diabetes.

Back to ‘ecomony 7‘ and storage heaters eh? The glory days!

Our first home had storage heaters, only 2 bed with small landing where 1 heater was, we would leave bedroom doors open & they adequately kept rooms warm throughout day. Other was downstairs near bathroom, again kept door open to all rooms, it was great getting out of shower in morning when they were really hot from during night.

We ran washing machine thru night also taking advantage of low cost electricity, seems like long time ago now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back