Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh DUK

Former Online Community and Learning Manager
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hello Everyone,

To keep it in line with our motto of always respecting peoples opinions, we have added a code of conduct button to everyone's accounts. You can find this on your accounts details page. Once you have clicked the code of conduct button and saved it, it should disappear and display on your main profile. I encourage everyone on the forum to tick the box when they can.

1701963702980.png

1701963632019.png

Best,

Josh DUK

I assume that this is now a compulsory requirement for anyone new to join us.

However - is it?

I assume that this is now a compulsory requirement for anyone new to join us.

However - is it?
It is. So everyone who joins needs to click the button during registration.

Will we get "struck off" if we don't tick it? 😉

Good idea, but what’s to stop people just ticking the box and not actually reading the code of conduct?

Perhaps my response is 'out of order' but I fail to see what on earth is appropriate or necessary about this "Code of Conduct Button". I actually find it mildly offensive, certainly distasteful. It is even less appropriate than that old joke "when did you stop beating your wife?" The strong inference of this "Button" is that I as a Forum member, don't know how to be reasonable and Conduct myself appropriately - without giving a signed compliance rather than an implicit agreement.

In the Welcome and Getting Started segment at the start of this forum there is (are?) a considerable number of discrete threads setting out not only how to get the most from this forum, but also close to the top is a massive thread of "User Guidelines". These Guidelines include ample guidance on what is expected by using this Forum, including general conduct and courteousy. Pinned near the top of the General Message Board is a specific thread inviting us to make responses "meaningful and kind".

So why does Diabetes UK think it is necessary or appropriate to "hammer this nail so hard"? What possible extra purpose can it provide by now making it mandatory for a member to accept this button before a member can make any future change to their account details. There is already more than enough "direction" from the User Guidelines along with a gentle guidance from the thread in the General Message Board to allow an insensitive forum member to be censured or removed from the forum - should that be needed.

Has anyone looked at the Equality Act of 2010? I followed the link and it is classic nonsense: a huge list of headings trying (unsuccessfully) to cover any imaginable parameter of time and space; each heading is a link to a further set of headings that are links to ... I don't really know what. I was already in danger of getting lost in the maze at level 2 and certainly didn't have a clue what I was hoping I might find if I went further or deeper into Alice's wardrobe and the Legal Wonderland! So I backed out in fear of being swallowed whole by this wonderful Act.

Just to compound the mystery and confusion I can't see the full page on my phone screen - or rather more accurately in order to see the full page I must compress it to a miniscule font that I certainly can't read; (and I'm very shortsighted, so can read much more small print than many others).

I don't get why I should "formally" agree to accepting the Code of Conduct when there is enough guidance to both guide me and justify my exclusion if there is a need. Joining this Forum is not the sort of contract that needs to be legally binding as if I were buying a house, setting up a Bank account or applying for a Passport.

What also bugs me about this is not just the unnecessary abuse of power by somebody in Diabetes UK but that I joined D UK and accepted my annual subscription commitment believing that my tiny financial contribution would be going to support activity that helped support research or advice on matters concerning Diabetes. By establishing a Code of Conduct Button money is being spent - wastefully. Employees time in developing this software change, in agreeing it was needed, in process control, etc, etc. What was needed is basic COMMON SENSE. Somebody at a senior level to say "Why us this extra needed? What Value could it add? What can't we do if we don't have this extra? What is the cost in manhours of adding this". "IS THIS EXTRA NEEDED?"

Am I alone in taking offence about this obligatory remit? Does no-one else see the irony in this bureaucracy telling me I must be respectful and courteous - click the button or else ....?

Will we get "struck off" if we don't tick it? 😉
Yes basically.

If you should now go to your Account details to change or adjust anything there, you can't "Save" without the required tick of the Conduct box. Not quite struck off but frozen out. Its possible to find a different exit and continue in this Forum, but your account details are now blocked by not ticking the box.

Perhaps my response is 'out of order' but I fail to see what on earth is appropriate or necessary about this "Code of Conduct Button". I actually find it mildly offensive, certainly distasteful. It is even less appropriate than that old joke "when did you stop beating your wife?" The strong inference of this "Button" is that I as a Forum member, don't know how to be reasonable and Conduct myself appropriately - without giving a signed compliance rather than an implicit agreement.

In the Welcome and Getting Started segment at the start of this forum there is (are?) a considerable number of discrete threads setting out not only how to get the most from this forum, but also close to the top is a massive thread of "User Guidelines". These Guidelines include ample guidance on what is expected by using this Forum, including general conduct and courteousy. Pinned near the top of the General Message Board is a specific thread inviting us to make responses "meaningful and kind".

So why does Diabetes UK think it is necessary or appropriate to "hammer this nail so hard"? What possible extra purpose can it provide by now making it mandatory for a member to accept this button before a member can make any future change to their account details. There is already more than enough "direction" from the User Guidelines along with a gentle guidance from the thread in the General Message Board to allow an insensitive forum member to be censured or removed from the forum - should that be needed.

Has anyone looked at the Equality Act of 2010? I followed the link and it is classic nonsense: a huge list of headings trying (unsuccessfully) to cover any imaginable parameter of time and space; each heading is a link to a further set of headings that are links to ... I don't really know what. I was already in danger of getting lost in the maze at level 2 and certainly didn't have a clue what I was hoping I might find if I went further or deeper into Alice's wardrobe and the Legal Wonderland! So I backed out in fear of being swallowed whole by this wonderful Act.

Just to compound the mystery and confusion I can't see the full page on my phone screen - or rather more accurately in order to see the full page I must compress it to a miniscule font that I certainly can't read; (and I'm very shortsighted, so can read much more small print than many others).

I don't get why I should "formally" agree to accepting the Code of Conduct when there is enough guidance to both guide me and justify my exclusion if there is a need. Joining this Forum is not the sort of contract that needs to be legally binding as if I were buying a house, setting up a Bank account or applying for a Passport.

What also bugs me about this is not just the unnecessary abuse of power by somebody in Diabetes UK but that I joined D UK and accepted my annual subscription commitment believing that my tiny financial contribution would be going to support activity that helped support research or advice on matters concerning Diabetes. By establishing a Code of Conduct Button money is being spent - wastefully. Employees time in developing this software change, in agreeing it was needed, in process control, etc, etc. What was needed is basic COMMON SENSE. Somebody at a senior level to say "Why us this extra needed? What Value could it add? What can't we do if we don't have this extra? What is the cost in manhours of adding this". "IS THIS EXTRA NEEDED?"

Am I alone in taking offence about this obligatory remit? Does no-one else see the irony in this bureaucracy telling me I must be respectful and courteous - click the button or else ....?
Not alone at all. I share your distaste.

I rather agree, @Proud to be erratic

I'm still fairly new to this forum (2023 joiner) but I thought the powers that be could already silence or kick out anyone who isn't behaving nicely? That's pretty consistent with any managed forum I believe

If that's right, then what is gained by this button?

If someone's being hostile, gets kicked out and complains that they didn't know they shouldn't be hostile then frankly who cares?

I guess one reason for adding this is to give DUK some protection against claims under the Act - ie by demonstrating that it has taken steps to ensure that members don't post non-compliant things.

I have zero issue with ticking a box to say I comply with what’s basically just anti discrimination legislation.

I can’t say I’ve ever even seen discrimination on the forum but I get that DUK are protecting themselves from any possible legal action if someone felt discriminated against and they could argue that DUK hadn’t reminded forum participants of their legal obligations under the Act.

If someone were to take action against the charity that would no doubt cost a whole heap more money than has been spent making very minor changes to an online forum.

OK yes that's probably fair @ColinUK
In which case makes me rather forlorn that this kind of protection is necessary. So I can direct my sighs at the state of the world instead

OK yes that's probably fair @ColinUK
In which case makes me rather forlorn that this kind of protection is necessary. So I can direct my sighs at the state of the world instead
Unfortunately we live in an increasingly litigious world and it might even be that this has been imposed by the legal cover insurers that DUK use.

Unfortunately we live in an increasingly litigious world and it might even be that this has been imposed by the legal cover insurers that DUK use.
You may well be correct in this line of thought @ColinUK.

After the long overdue review of the former Factories Act and the ginormous piece of toothless junk called the Health and Safety at Work Act various businesses passed the Document to their legal teams and ended up spending small fortunes on legal fees and producing useful safe measures such as placing yellow stickers in washrooms warning the Public to have "Caution", since "hot water taps could be hot".

I might well join @Mumpie_olgran in sighing at the state of the world; and I'm even more likely to terminate my DDR for my DUK membership and stop buying raffle tickets. That won't preclude me from using this Forum or reading content on the DUK website - for free - but will give me some sense that my tiny financial aid is no longer being thoughtlessly wasted.

As far as I'm aware I've carefully resisted being discriminatory here, or elsewhere. But I resent the insinuation that I might be if I don't formally click a button!

I personally find it all bizarre. Surely if something its a hate crime it is a matter for the police. Between 2010 and 2013 I had approximately £11k's worth of pension contributions misappropriated . However, I was told that it was not a criminal offence and nothing I can do about it. :( The person concerned has crashed and burned about 25 companies depriving employees, suppliers and others of many £100,000s over the years. I imagine the government would call him an entrepreneur (wonder if he had his finger in the PPI scandal).

Morning agree with most of expressed thoughts that we should be able to freely express our views as long as we do so ”respectfully and politely“( do appreciate we may have different interpretations) without having to sign any form of disclaimer.
Equally I know the increasing spread of corporate actions requiring us to agree to in a certain manner for varying reasons has made us have to be seen as restrict our comments which I find frustrating but simply a corporate requirement of modern life.

You may well be correct in this line of thought @ColinUK.

After the long overdue review of the former Factories Act and the ginormous piece of toothless junk called the Health and Safety at Work Act various businesses passed the Document to their legal teams and ended up spending small fortunes on legal fees and producing useful safe measures such as placing yellow stickers in washrooms warning the Public to have "Caution", since "hot water taps could be hot".

I might well join @Mumpie_olgran in sighing at the state of the world; and I'm even more likely to terminate my DDR for my DUK membership and stop buying raffle tickets. That won't preclude me from using this Forum or reading content on the DUK website - for free - but will give me some sense that my tiny financial aid is no longer being thoughtlessly wasted.

As far as I'm aware I've carefully resisted being discriminatory here, or elsewhere. But I resent the insinuation that I might be if I don't formally click a button!

I dropped my regular membership in the mid-noughties as I was increasingly fed up being accosted by chuggers, often representing Diabetes UK, when I went for a lunchtime walk in the City. At the same time people representing Diabetes UK used to ring when you settling down for the evening requesting additional donations. This even happened shortly after I renewed my membership and made a generous donation to the research fund! I also thought wasting time and money on rebranding the British Diabetic Association to Diabetes UK was unnecessary. My parents, who originally enrolled, me also got disillusioned with the BDA as they tried to get me a place year after year on the camps the BDA used to run so young Type Is (no Type IIs then) could meet others without success. I will not be making an ad-hoc donation now!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back