Chromium Supplements to manage blood glucose and assist with weight management?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maryjaneholland

Open question from newbie currently taking Metformin every day as prescribed by GP - what do people managing diabetes currently think about the supplement Chromium Picolinate which claims to lower blood glucose levels and curb cravings/suppress appetite similarly to Metformin?

Has anyone here tried Chromium Picolinate supplements to help manage their weight management or weight loss regimen?

To clarify, I am definitely NOT suggesting or promoting anyone should take prescribed diabetes medication AND supplements like Chromium Picolinate at the same time, which can also have the effects of lowering blood glucose levels, and obviously I am not any kind of medically quaified doctor, so all the prescription medication guidance clearly states not to take Metformin with alcohol, laxatives, beta-blockers, anti-inflammatory drugs or Chromium Picolinate, for clarification here!

Chromium Picolinate supplements were suggested to me by mature lady living with Type 2 Diabetes who I met at community cafe drop-in in my local area, as she was extremely sceptical about pharmaceutical drugs and by all accounts had rough ride over many years battling the NHS for access to healthcare and treatment, so here's Wikipedia page about Chromium Picolinate Supplement... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromium(III)_picolinate

And here's one or two examples of nutrition supplement manufacturers selling Chromium Picolinate, there are many others and again, I am not advertising or promoting or have any affiiation with any companies selling supplements...

Chromium Picolinate 500 mcg Vegetable Capsules - Pack of 60

Description Chromium Picolinate 500 mcg Vegetable Capsules contains chromium, a metallic element essential for metabolism, in picolinate form, which is an efficient chelator for minerals to be absorbed into the body. This Solgar mineral is provided in a chelated form. The word Chelated' is taken...

solgar.co.uk
solgar.co.uk

Buy Chromium Supplements | Bio-Chromium | Pharma Nord UK

Chromium supplements can help reduce cravings for snacks by helping to maintain healthy blood glucose and cholesterol levels. Buy Bio-Chromium today.

www.pharmanord.co.uk
www.pharmanord.co.uk

Forgot to add, I have been referred by my GP Surgery to social prescribing exercise class, diabetes education course, weight management course, and sleep clinic for sleep apnoea, and regularly see diabetes nurse, so I am not being sedentary and just popping pills with my fingers crossed, I am actively exercising every day, changing to low sugar low carb high protein high antioxidant healthy diet and formulating plans and schedules to meet my personal goal of achieving significant weight loss, weight management and Type 2 Diabetes Remission within twelve months, as very tired of all the heath issues associated with excess weight and not liking the way I look or feel with no body confidence or self-esteem at all, as most of my life I have been an average weight.

Although this newspaper article about influencers taking up too much space with AV equipment and invading other people's privacy with cameras in gyms and leisure centres is shocking, I read it as "heads-up" of another barrier or hurdle to overcome as I haven't been to gyms or leisure centres for several years and have only attended exercise classes in community centre venues, so FYI... 🙄

Good Luck with your weight loss journies and keep up the good fight to achieve your goals every day!

@grovesy sorry to hear that, one personal example I can offer is that I take B12 sublingual supplements every day as I have Vegetarian/Vegan diet and prior to my Type 2 diagnosis, thought I was deficient and anaemic, and now the high dose of Metformin I'm taking every day can cause B12 deficiencies long-term, and I think GP's can prescribe B12 injections on the NHS, so that's maybe more managing medical issues than "lifestyle choices"?

My Mum has severe arthritis and takes high dose Glucosamine every day to help her manage all her symptoms and has changed her diet to exclude wheat which caused her swelling and inflammation like food intolerance, and now has anti-inflammatory foods and follows mediterranean type diet, but I fully accept that everyone does what's best for them to manage their health issues and medical conditions.

Apologies if this is the wrong space on the forum, the only other references to Chromium I could find is posts about diets and supplements containing vitamins and minerals, but I have met people living with Type 2 Diabetes in real life who have suggested that Chromium Picolinate Supplements have helped them to manage and lower their blood glucose levels, but can't cite any clinical studies or medical research, hence my open question!

Not the wrong space on the forum at all @maryjaneholland.

What you will find if you look around the forum is that many members are getting a little weary of the magic supplements which appear regularly attaching diabetes to the things they "may help" with. Some, including at times myself, give them very short shrift.

If these things were of any real value then they would a standard part of diabetes treatment. They are not. They are never marketed (except by very dodgy suppliers) with any sort of guarantee of effectiveness and whenever I see the weasel words, "may help with", I automatically add, " but almost certainly will not".

That said, there could be a placebo effect and if taking supplements gets people to think about their diabetes and do things which will have a positive effect, then fair enough.

Last edited:
@Docb thanks for your insight, and I guess I am amongst the gullible and naive great unwashed having only been diagnosed as having wonky blood glucose levels and at risk of diabetes three months ago, and formal diagnosis by GP via repeat blood tests only in the last few weeks really, but I guess Chromium is in the same category as "diabetic friendly" labelled products I remember seeing in supermarkets growing up, and there's no evidence to support the claims made by manufacturers.

Think I'm also grasping at straws as I have been waiting three months for appointments after being referred by GP over three months ago, and I support the NHS, but all diabetes-related appointments in primary care have been very rushed stressful speed talking and most recently ended abruptly with "well I have so many other people to call that's all the time I have today bye" so there's no opportunity for newly diagnosed patients to put questions to NHS staff and "let me know if you have any questions OK" is also another meaningless empty phrase, but hey-ho, sign of the times, I am managing my diabetes on my own in the dark apparently.

@Docb thanks for your insight, and I guess I am amongst the gullible and naive great unwashed having only been diagnosed as having wonky blood glucose levels and at risk of diabetes three months ago, and formal diagnosis by GP via repeat blood tests only in the last few weeks really, but I guess Chromium is in the same category as "diabetic friendly" labelled products I remember seeing in supermarkets growing up, and there's no evidence to support the claims made by manufacturers.

Think I'm also grasping at straws as I have been waiting three months for appointments after being referred by GP over three months ago, and I support the NHS, but all diabetes-related appointments in primary care have been very rushed stressful speed talking and most recently ended abruptly with "well I have so many other people to call that's all the time I have today bye" so there's no opportunity for newly diagnosed patients to put questions to NHS staff and "let me know if you have any questions OK" is also another meaningless empty phrase, but hey-ho, sign of the times, I am managing my diabetes on my own in the dark apparently.
You are not at all on your own, you are here amongst the rest of us who are all managing our diabetes as best we can and learning from each other, which is actually far more effective than anything the nurse or doctor can tell you.
Those early appointments are overwhelming and confusing with such a lot of information much of which very easily goes in one ear and out of the other, like some foreign language. That is why this forum is so helpful, for explaining the jargon and filling in the blanks by people who have been in the same situation as yourself and know how confusing and overwhelming it is. People who have successfully pushed their diabetes into remission or found ways to manage it well with a combination of medication and lifestyle changes.
I think the thing we find a bit frustrating, is people looking for a quick fix.... a "silver bullet" if you like, when good diabetes management is more about working hard at it and finding the right combination of diet and exercise and perhaps medication, but the single biggest factor is adjusting your diet. It is not easy, but it is really worthwhile when you start seeing better numbers and/or losing weight.

I know it is not an excuse but there is so much pressure on the GP's time that people need to become their own expert by looking at all the help that is available from forums like this, books and reliable internet resources.
It is then challenging as often the advise will not suit everybody as people are different which is why people often don't do too well by following the standard NHS advise.
I did a DESMOND course which although helpful was following that NHS Eatwell Plate which is far too high in carbs for many to tolerate.
The biggest help to me was getting the book Carbs and Cals, reading Dr Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code, following the principals in this link, https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/ and getting a blood glucose monitor so I could test the effect of meals on my blood glucose and reading posts on this forum.
From an HbA1C of 50mmol/mol I reduced it to 42mmol/mol in 3 months and to 38 in another 6months. By sticking to the low carb way of eating HbA1C is stating there.

On supplements, the US National Institutes of Health publishes handy fact sheets. For chromium: https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/chromium-Consumer/

High blood sugar levels and diabetes

Chromium supplements are often promoted to improve blood sugar control in people with type 2 diabetes. However, studies examining the effects of chromium on high blood sugar levels or diabetes have had mixed results. The American Diabetes Association does not recommend chromium supplements for people with diabetes because these supplements don’t have a clear benefit. More research is needed to understand whether chromium supplements might improve blood sugar control in some people.

Weight and lean body mass

Some chromium supplements are marketed for weight loss and to reduce body fat and increase muscle mass. However, clinical trials have found only a very small benefit. This benefit is unlikely to make any difference in health or appearance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminders about not being alone and pointers about self-management, I am not an indulger of pity parties and I don't make flakey excuses to ensure I'm nothing like my absent opt-out father, but I will agree that weight loss journey is very hard work requiring motivation, discipline, willpower, following rules, keeping to routines/schedules and committing time and energy to achieve your longer term goal - and none of this is simple or easy or quick-fix, as many people portray weight management as "no big deal" for them anyway.

I will say honestly I have bad housing situation and right now my quote "kitchen" consists of small microwave, kettle, small sink, small fridge, and some very basic utensils, but as I'm determined to reach my longer term goal of losing weight and lowering my blood glucose levels, I am researching my options for purchase and home delivery of an all-in-one gas cooker so I have full options for home cooking, grilling, baking, roasting, frying, making healthy meals from wholefood ingredients - yes I am sure some people will add that street homeless people are worse off, and that I can easily fashion DIY oven using shoebox covered in foil over tealight candle, and learn off-grid survival skills to hunt skin and roast rats using only twigs and flints and blah blah.

I can only speak for my self that it's huge progress acknowledging one's own failures, weaknesses, life events and bad habits which have led to self-neglect and self-destructive behaviours and weight gain, as it's always the easiest option to not face your problems, not confront your fears and live in denial saying everything is OK, so my prescription medication, blood tests, wonky NHS appointments and my new gas cooker are all about proving to my self that I can achieve my goals and I can improve my quality of life and show much more sympathy, empathy, compassion and humanity towards my self and others by making these positive changes happen.

And I like the idea of becoming someone who routinely gives freshly baked food from my wonky kitchen to homeless people in need giving freely with an open hand and expecting nothing in return, except maybe some good karma from the universe 😉

Thanks for the reminders about not being alone and pointers about self-management, I am not an indulger of pity parties and I don't make flakey excuses to ensure I'm nothing like my absent opt-out father, but I will agree that weight loss journey is very hard work requiring motivation, discipline, willpower, following rules, keeping to routines/schedules and committing time and energy to achieve your longer term goal - and none of this is simple or easy or quick-fix, as many people portray weight management as "no big deal" for them anyway.

I will say honestly I have bad housing situation and right now my quote "kitchen" consists of small microwave, kettle, small sink, small fridge, and some very basic utensils, but as I'm determined to reach my longer term goal of losing weight and lowering my blood glucose levels, I am researching my options for purchase and home delivery of an all-in-one gas cooker so I have full options for home cooking, grilling, baking, roasting, frying, making healthy meals from wholefood ingredients - yes I am sure some people will add that street homeless people are worse off, and that I can easily fashion DIY oven using shoebox covered in foil over tealight candle, and learn off-grid survival skills to hunt skin and roast rats using only twigs and flints and blah blah.

I can only speak for my self that it's huge progress acknowledging one's own failures, weaknesses, life events and bad habits which have led to self-neglect and self-destructive behaviours and weight gain, as it's always the easiest option to not face your problems, not confront your fears and live in denial saying everything is OK, so my prescription medication, blood tests, wonky NHS appointments and my new gas cooker are all about proving to my self that I can achieve my goals and I can improve my quality of life and show much more sympathy, empathy, compassion and humanity towards my self and others by making these positive changes happen.

And I like the idea of becoming someone who routinely gives freshly baked food from my wonky kitchen to homeless people in need giving freely with an open hand and expecting nothing in return, except maybe some good karma from the universe 😉
Something I recently bought was an inexpensive air fryer and it is very versatile, doesn't take up much room and cooks things in 15min which I would have had to have the oven on for an hour. The other thing I have seen which looks useful is an plugin induction hotplate, I think I saw them in IKEA which is economical on space.

Yes, not sure I would buy an oven if I had limited space or a bedsit type arrangement. I mostly use my hob and my microwave and my slow cooker. Ovens are slow to heat up and use more energy. I would recommend the induction hotplate as being a better and cheaper option. Not had an air fryer myself, so can't comment on that, but I know lots of people love them.

Thanks for tips again, I just wanted to clarify I have lived experience of being homeless in the past (and not ashamed of that as I was teenager escaping family relationship breakdown when it happened), and I am currently full member of long-term fully registered housing co-operative, and my block is an unusual Victorian terraced building undergoing various renovation and refurbishment works as the ground floor is empty (I'm currently the only full-time occupier aside from the stray cats and the occasional mice!), alongside my own grand plans for redecorating, and turning the neglected back yard and private alleyway into shared garden space... So I discovered the gas and electricity points in the corner of the back room which could become kitchen/diner space during the removal of old wallpaper and fixtures, and I am measuring up to turn it into welcoming cool garden facing kitchen-meets-diner room, and the odd transient mini-kitchen setup is the compromise as I'm slowly removing all the old layers to make way for the new...

Healthiest meals I can make with kettle/microwave/induction hotplate setup are vegan noodles with veg and tofu for example, and small hotplates and airfryers are great and have their place, but they personally remind me of temporary accommodation setups in the past and they have very restrictive size limitations, so all the cooking utensils and accessories for say baking have to fit within the confines of the interior of the airfryer cavity, and the cheap hotplate is too small for say big pots of vegan chilli and gets dangerously hot on every side leading to cooking-related burns over time, and I have neglected my social life since lockdown, so all-in-one gas cooker suits my new diet and lifestyle better for me...
Here's great inspiring programme devoted to airfryer cooking broadcast on Channel 4 recently, cooking using less oil, less electricity and less space for small kitchens... It's Bake Off! 🙂

Do be careful when things are labelled as 'healthy' because that is what I was told for decades about the GP 's printout diet sheets - I was just about spherical by the time they told me I was a very bad diabetic.
These days I don't eat grain or starchy foods, no high sugar fruit and I feel so much better.
I find that my pressure cooker is very good for saving me money and time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back