Christmas Food?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christmas cake and cheese has been around all my life.
I wouldn't say it was common but definitely not a new thing or a regional thing as my family are from all over the UK.

So far I've not found a food that chease doesn't go with

Love cheese, agree it goes with most things but couldn't do cheese & christmas cake together, fav cheese combination is cheese on toast, followed by cheese n onion sandwich, both ingredients cut thickly.

Had lovely piece of Christmas cake this aforenoon with my coffee, what was surprising it was Mr Kippling not some fancy brand.

With actual Christmas cake? Icing and all that??? Where in the world are you?
I’m in Yorkshire, has to be wensleydale from Hawes served with the (iced yes) Christmas cake here

You people want locking up! That’s criminal. All this talk of cakes with cheese has put me right of my pot noodle with custard!!!
What about blue cheese ice cream with apple pie which I think was the offering from a Masterchef contestant a few years ago.

I know someone who eats these individually wrapped cheese slices (which to me seem a bit more plastic than cheese) together with custard cream biscuits. I've tried the combination and it was not so bad. Have to admit I'm a fan of sweet and savoury combinations.

I know someone who eats these individually wrapped cheese slices (which to me seem a bit more plastic than cheese) together with custard cream biscuits. I've tried the combination and it was not so bad. Have to admit I'm a fan of sweet and savoury combinations.
My dad once used those plastic wrapped individual cheese slices when he made my
packed lunch as a kid. Except he forgot to take the plastic off!

I used to enjoy sausages with marmalade

I chose todays dinner after seeing a Tiktok where they put everything in one pan in the oven. I noticed I was low on protein today, so put some vegan sausages in a baking tray, cracked 2 eggs on top, added some cheese and grilled some tomatoes. it came out so tasty, lots of protein hardly any carbs and so easy to make, I can recommend.

Boxing Day dinner is the best meal of the year in my opinion, even though it is a "leftovers" meal.... It's rare to have proper turkey and ham leftovers (as oppose to prepacked slices which just isn't the same) at any other time of year in order to replicate it, plus the sense of relief and relaxation after the excesses and hype of the big day.
Hope you enjoy as much as I will be. :D
Yes 100% better than Christmas dinner especially if you make bubble & squeak!

Love cheese, agree it goes with most things but couldn't do cheese & christmas cake together, fav cheese combination is cheese on toast, followed by cheese n onion sandwich, both ingredients cut thickly.

Had lovely piece of Christmas cake this aforenoon with my coffee, what was surprising it was Mr Kippling not some fancy brand.

You people want locking up! That’s criminal. All this talk of cakes with cheese has put me right of my pot noodle with custard!!!
you''ll be suppressed what can go with. its goes with other sweet too) dont knock it until you tried it.

What about blue cheese ice cream with apple pie which I think was the offering from a Masterchef contestant a few years ago.
Haha the worlds gone made mate…… I’m out! Or maybe I need to expand my horizons? But blue cheese ice cream sounds like some kind of bush-tucker trial to me!

Cheese? With Christmas cake!??? Is that a thing?
I was introduced to it by my father-in-law, a Yorkshire man.
Always Wensleydale and so tasty.

My father was a Yorkshireman, and ate Christmas cake with cheese, and also apple pie and cheese.
I never realised there was anything odd about it. My mother always used to give me a hunk of cake to take back with me when I was a student, and it kept me going for lunches throughout January, with a slice of cheese on it, (I do confess to using Cheddar, though, as proper Wensleydale was in short supply in the Googe Street Tesco at the time).

A bloke I worked with - Wooller born and bred so hardly Yorkshire - liked cheese with his Xmas cake, but there again he also reckoned you should grind black pepper on strawberries ......

A bloke I worked with - Wooller born and bred so hardly Yorkshire - liked cheese with his Xmas cake, but there again he also reckoned you should grind black pepper on strawberries ......
Yes really brings out the strawberry flavour as long as you don't use too much.
Strawberry jam with cheese as well.

Apparently.

Apparently.

Looking through those food combinations, it is hardly surprising that diabetes and obesity is on the increase. 😱
That said, there can't be many combinations more calorie dense than Christmas cake and cheese but at least it is limited by it seasonality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back