Not open for further replies.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
I often share parts of this blog post to new members at this time of year. So here it is for any who have missed it 🙂

It’s pretty much the wisest post I have read on the subject of food around Christmas (and other festivities) and is by Jennifer of ‘Jennifer’s Advice’

I've been thinking about the upcoming season of joy, love and food.
With the holidays coming up, give yourself permission to be human.There is a lot of great food that will be out there soon. Don't try to steel yourself against all of it. You most likely won't be able to, and then you'll have guilt on top of it.
Choose your times. And then enjoy a piece of cake. A dollop of mashed potato. That holiday cookie that only shows up once a year. Make it your CHOICE, not a moment of weakness that will haunt you. That way you'll be able to enjoy it so much more, AND not fall into the "well I messed up, might as well eat the plateful".
The other side is all the family you're likely to be around this season. Some may decide that they know what you should or shouldn't be eating. They'll announce loudly, "Sara can't have that, she has the diabetes". Exhausting. Or they'll push food on you "Oh come on, it's the holidays, you can have a taste". More exhausting.
Whatever you decide to eat or not eat, the most important thing is that YOU control it. If you choose to have something, make it your conscious decision. Not a mindless "What the hell" or a forced "NO" through gritted teeth. You decide. Only you.
…​
The full post (with more detail) is shared on Alan S’s blog here

Last edited:
Love this advice. I'm only recently diagnosed so was dreading Christmas but starting to build up confidence and understand that I can control this and enjoy the treats of Christmas. Popped a couple of Cadburys Heroes last night with no ill effects.

Love this advice. I'm only recently diagnosed so was dreading Christmas but starting to build up confidence and understand that I can control this and enjoy the treats of Christmas.

Great to hear your confidence is growing Lisa 🙂

And yes. You can still enjoy an occasional treat every so often and remain on charge of your overall menu I would say.

Hello Tom

Looking at the Roasties they would add up to nearly 50gms of carbs. {An egg sized spud is about 10gm of carbs.} Probably 10gm carbs for each Yorkshire too.

Best

Hello Tom

Looking at the Roasties they would add up to nearly 50gms of carbs. {An egg sized spud is about 10gm of carbs.} Probably 10gm carbs for each Yorkshire too.

Best
Plus the stuffing balls that I think I see3 or 4 at the back, to the right of the Yorkies, so another 15-20g there. I am going with about 80/90g carbs total for the plateful. If you followed it up with a bowl of Christmas pud and white sauce you could probably nearly have that much again..... but I always think you have to have an impressive level of stamina to do Xmas pud after a big plateful of dinner.
We may have Christmas pudding today after meat, salad, pickles and chips.

Whilst I agree with the OP statement I differ slightly in that I always count/estimate the amount of carbs I'm eating and adjust accordingly my Insulin dose.

Fortunately I am able to accept a treat, have a flavour taste and cope with a small piece eg 1 segment of a chock bar not, as my wife would do and need to eat the whole bar. ps. so far she is not Diabetic.

We may have Christmas pudding today after meat, salad, pickles and chips.
OOOOOOOOOOOh yes that's exactly what our today menu is to be, lovely.

Best

OOOOOOOOOOOh yes that's exactly what our today menu is to be, lovely.

Best

Boxing Day dinner is the best meal of the year in my opinion, even though it is a "leftovers" meal.... It's rare to have proper turkey and ham leftovers (as oppose to prepacked slices which just isn't the same) at any other time of year in order to replicate it, plus the sense of relief and relaxation after the excesses and hype of the big day.
Hope you enjoy as much as I will be. :D

I have to say I'm been alot more relaxed about food this year in that respect than I was last year and kind of accepted it may go a bit heywire for a few days. Oberiely still doing my best to manage and adjust when necessary.

. but I always think you have to have an impressive level of stamina to do Xmas pud after a big plateful
I someone how did manage that last year as well as a starter

Whilst I agree with the OP statement I differ slightly in that I always count/estimate the amount of carbs I'm eating and adjust accordingly my Insulin dose.

Fortunately I am able to accept a treat, have a flavour taste and cope with a small piece eg 1 segment of a chock bar not, as my wife would do and need to eat the whole bar. ps. so far she is not Diabetic.

Yes arguably it’s far more relevant to our T2 members who manage their BG levels with diet alone. It’s far easier for those of us with insulin to help!

But it’s a season with lots of high carb, high calorie, high fat, and high sugar food in circulation, so each of us are likely to be making some slightly different choices to ‘normal’ 🙂

Having spent Christmas Day with friends we then had turkey yesterday at home, just so that we can have the cold turkey today With the pickles and salad. One of my favourite meals.

The Christmas cake is iced (a bit late). Now it is the conundrum of eat small pieces over a long period or have bigger pieces for fewer days. It does depend on having some Wensleydale cheese available. Then there is the half pack of pastry (no I don’t make my own) in the freezer so that may well be a good excuse for some more mince pies.

The wobbles in levels will continue for a bit longer, or perhaps I can view it as getting in some good training for next year’s celebrations.

Having spent Christmas Day with friends we then had turkey yesterday at home, just so that we can have the cold turkey today With the pickles and salad. One of my favourite meals.

The Christmas cake is iced (a bit late). Now it is the conundrum of eat small pieces over a long period or have bigger pieces for fewer days. It does depend on having some Wensleydale cheese available. Then there is the half pack of pastry (no I don’t make my own) in the freezer so that may well be a good excuse for some more mince pies.

The wobbles in levels will continue for a bit longer, or perhaps I can view it as getting in some good training for next year’s celebrations.
Cheese? With Christmas cake!??? Is that a thing?

Your conundrum is identical to me. Spread the all carby, sugar, fatty stuff over a period of days or simply dive in and be done with it ... not really arrived at any conclusion.

Oh yes crumbly Cheshire cheese here eaten with Christmas cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back