Cholesterol questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scuba diving
Jet skiing
Motor racing (that's a recent one)
Off roading (planning to do that in more places in europe, so not the same as the UK).
Now the world is opening up we have started booking a few places in the world to go to, so I'm sure other thing's will appear as well.
And some of those places are off the beaten track, so I want health insurance there too.
The policy is a twelve month cover, and it includes most risks.
Hopefully I'll only need it for injuries, well not "hopefully", but for a few pounds extra it'll cover anything mostly now.

My daughter was looking at skydiving, but I can't see the appeal of jumping out of a perfectly good aeroplane.
She's into skiing now, that's one I have tried, but not really gotten into it.
The other one is more camping and climbing, again, not really something I like, but you never know.
Wow how do you keep your sugars down with all that adrenaline :rofl:
The school run is probably my most dangerous activity… can be pretty brutal !
I know what you mean about the skydiving but they do say it’s a feeling that you just cannot describe.

Okay so was just brainstorming in the shower.. I’ve had a thought based on the above post from burlancs. So my total chol was 4.8 on diagnosis, changed diet and it goes up… what If it’s not the amount of fats I’m eating but the percentage of them in relation to other foods. Although my sat fat is well under recommended, my other food groups have reduced so much have i caused an imbalance? Is this even a thing? God loves a trier xx
There are 9 calories in 1 gram of fat. 4 in 1 gram of carb. 4 in 1 gram of protein. Many dietary recommendations come in percentages rather than absolute amounts such as Prof Taylor's 53% of calories from carbs in the 'Newcadtle diet'. Mind you his big experiment used the old, tried and tested Cambridge Diet. I did that one myself in 1987. Slimfast, Superdrug, Tesco and Asda shake and bar diets are cheaper.

Hopefully you'll see even better trigs in a fasting test.
The fibre could be a thing, was it "soluble fibre" that was promoted for cholesterol reduction?

Soluble fibre is well known to reduce cholesterol, can be found in lots of foods.

I use psyllium husk and chia seeds as a fibre supplement in a morning drink first thing with ACV. It might be a helping factor for me as regards cholesterol. It certainly improves my digestive health and regularity and I consistently score perfect results on the "Bristol stool chart" 🙄 since using them after initially struggling badly with constipation when I stared low carbing.

Wow how do you keep your sugars down with all that adrenaline :rofl:
The school run is probably my most dangerous activity… can be pretty brutal !
I know what you mean about the skydiving but they do say it’s a feeling that you just cannot describe.

When I was diagnosed I did a lot of testing to see how I reacted to foods, and other stimuli.
It's an interesting mix of glucose release that is offset by an increased heart rate, but also muscles using more glucose, which decreases insulin resistance.

I use psyllium husk and chia seeds as a fibre supplement in a morning drink first thing with ACV. It might be a helping factor for me as regards cholesterol. It certainly improves my digestive health and regularity and I consistently score perfect results on the "Bristol stool chart" 🙄 since using them after initially struggling badly with constipation when I stared low carbing.
That's something I will be looking to putting my diet from now on.

@EmmaL76 - What sort of period are we talking about from your 4.8 to your current levels? Often when someone changes their diet - especially if they go low carb, and even more often if they lose weight - their lipids increase, then settle back again. Just wondering if anything like that could account for at least some of the increase?

@EmmaL76 - What sort of period are we talking about from your 4.8 to your current levels? Often when someone changes their diet - especially if they go low carb, and even more often if they lose weight - their lipids increase, then settle back again. Just wondering if anything like that could account for at least some of the increase?
Well I was slim on diagnosis sept 20 cholesterol 4.8, lost about 2 stone to date so very skinny now. Chol was 5.9 April 21 and Jan 22 5.4

Hi, I’ve just noticed your hba1c history. That’s very inspirational. Can I just ask, as you were taken off the diabetes register do you still get yearly checks ? what is your diet like currently? Are you very low carb? Have you been able to reintroduce more foods and what kind of numbers do you see if your still testing? So
Sorry for all the questions and tell me to mind my own business if you like I’m just curious xx
I still have my retinopathy and a condition of coming off the register (at my GP's suggestion, not mine) was that I have an A1c at least annually.

In reality, I have a full blood panel annually, but as I have thyroid challenged I have regular bloods for that, and the Endo likes to also do quite a comprehensive panel.

I only ever had a foot check once, and have never been weighed or measured by the surgery.

So, in my case, my care is as before.

My diet is currently reduced carb, totally gluten free. The gluten-free aspect has nothing to do with diabetes.

These days I have quite a bit of leeway in terms of what I can eat, but in reality, I'm quite happy plodding along low carbing. I haven't had bread or cakes for 7 or 8 years, and don't miss them at all.

Well I was slim on diagnosis sept 20 cholesterol 4.8, lost about 2 stone to date so very skinny now. Chol was 5.9 April 21 and Jan 22 5.4
In which case, in your shoes, I would be waiting for a bit longer before considering statins, but your decision has to be your decision.

I still have my retinopathy and a condition of coming off the register (at my GP's suggestion, not mine) was that I have an A1c at least annually.

In reality, I have a full blood panel annually, but as I have thyroid challenged I have regular bloods for that, and the Endo likes to also do quite a comprehensive panel.

I only ever had a foot check once, and have never been weighed or measured by the surgery.

So, in my case, my care is as before.

My diet is currently reduced carb, totally gluten free. The gluten-free aspect has nothing to do with diabetes.

These days I have quite a bit of leeway in terms of what I can eat, but in reality, I'm quite happy plodding along low carbing. I haven't had bread or cakes for 7 or 8 years, and don't miss them at all.
Thanks so much for that information . Really interesting and motivational stuff. Well done you x

That’s kind of my thought too x

Your most recent was a decrease on the one before.

Have you done your own QRisk score and toggled your diabetes on and off to see what difference it makes?

Your most recent was a decrease on the one before.

Have you done your own QRisk score and toggled your diabetes on and off to see what difference it makes?

Yes I did it yesterday. I don’t know my type but as a type 2 it was 2 and as type 1 it was 4. Haven’t tried without diabetes tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back