Casualty - BBC1 now

Status
Not open for further replies.
*raises hand* I feel the drifting off topic is mostly my fault, so I apologise for that 😉

That's OK, you made up for it with your brilliant transcript so that eveyone could know what happened!🙂 Plus, you gave me an idea for a poem!:D

I was racking my brains to think of how the diabetes storyline could in any way be logical and factual. I couldn't!
1. The girl was brought in after a boat accident, where her 'special' insulin had gone to the bottom of the lake.

2.She needed insulin, but her father said she wouldn't have anything tested on animals - she had to heve 'Bentyllin' (or something) which they got specially from their pharmacy in Cornwall.

3. They might have said that ahe was allergic to analogue/synthetic insulin, but I can't be sure and it's not on iPlayer.

4. Hospitals rarely stock porcine/bovine insulin these days, so wouldn't have been their first choice of insulin to give her anyway, despite her moral objections.

5. What could they possibly give her? Let's say she IS allergic to synthetic and doesn't as a rule have animal insulin. What else is there?

They gave her something that brought her out of (her rapid descent into) DKA. What could it be?

there's the obvious scenario you've missed.
6. She objects to insulin tested on animals. Most synthetics are tested on animals before humans ( rats get huge dollops of the insulins most of us use - in fact it might be a requirement that they have to be shown to be acceptable in animals before they get to us). Which would cut out all insulins for her, including most synthetics, except one that was definitely guaranteed not to have been tested on animals - God knows who the human guinea pigs for that would be though.

Going to Google Bentillin - if it exists the plotline is solid.

there's the obvious scenario you've missed.
6. She objects to insulin tested on animals. Most synthetics are tested on animals before humans ( rats get huge dollops of the insulins most of us use - in fact it might be a requirement that they have to be shown to be acceptable in animals before they get to us). Which would cut out all insulins for her, including most synthetics, except one that was definitely guaranteed not to have been tested on animals - God knows who the human guinea pigs for that would be though.

Going to Google Bentillin - if it exists the plotline is solid.

Perhaps Jackson of Jackson's Chemists in Penzance volunteered! Don't think Bentillin exists.

They'll send their pirates after you - singing jaunty G&S songs!

You just reminded me - best G&S I ever saw was a student production of Princess Ida. One guy, described as a 'young blade' and called Alf Perkins (I kid you not!) was in his mid-50s and as the show progressed he was becoming more and more drunk so every new entrance was hilarious. I almost needed hospital treatment for mirth-induced mayhem!:D

Oops! Now I really have gone off topic, but at least I can blame you again!😉

My favourite 'hospital' sequences are those in Neighbours - there's usually at least one member of the street in there and they always get the same room!

Its just as bad as Hollyoaks! They are as good as mince meat if they end up in that one hospital room. AND notice how no-one is ever there when they crash, because a crash isnt a DRAMA unless people RUN to it!!! :D

Since Charlie was a lad, you have been watching from the start!

And when Megan (wearing green!) used to make them all cups of tea! Duffy had horrendous hair and used to complain all the time and wear some kind of of origami nightmare construction on her head and a cape!

Bentillin? Sounds more like a cough medicine. Maybe the girl gets it from the local druids. 😉

Some years ago I went to a group meeting arranged for people who had been diabetic for say 20+ years (details are lost in mists of time). There was a woman there who could not take synthetic insulin and refused to take animal insulin. She was developing major complications but no way could we persuade her that as the animals were killed to be eaten and not to produce insulin she would not be responsible for their death. Similar really to Jehovah's Witnesses and blood transfusions.

Not a fan of Casulty. My later mother always said "Dr Kildare" with Richard Chamberlin was better. I mainly remember him in "The Thorn Birds" playing opposite Rachel Ward.

Its just as bad as Hollyoaks! They are as good as mince meat if they end up in that one hospital room. AND notice how no-one is ever there when they crash, because a crash isnt a DRAMA unless people RUN to it!!! :D

And when Megan (wearing green!) used to make them all cups of tea! Duffy had horrendous hair and used to complain all the time and wear some kind of of origami nightmare construction on her head and a cape!

That takes me back a bit, I remember when Megan used to be in casualty!

4. Hospitals rarely stock porcine/bovine insulin these days, so wouldn't have been their first choice of insulin to give her anyway, despite her moral objections.

I missread that as porcupine.. Not knowing anything about insulin at all I was wondering why use porcupines.. 😱

Thanks for the transcrips SH, thats some awesome writting by the casualty staff 😉 hehe

I havent watched Casualty since Robson or Jerome (I get confused which is which) was the porter!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back