Casualty - BBC1 now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now if only somebody could invent ice-cream based metformin we'd all be happy...or maybe just sugar, fat and carb free ice-cream....that's probably ice though.
ER...ummmmm young-er George Clooney. The other wierd things about medical dramas are
a) the only people who die are the people who have done something really horrible
b) all the medical staff are exceptionally good looking. Why isn't the NHS really like this i want to know?

The guy who does bloods and measurements at my clinic is called Luigi, and is Italian. I have clinic on Tuesday, and all I'm going to be thinking now is that he should be serving gelato and singing 'just one cornetto....'

You're right, it really is pants. I only started watching it again in recent weeks, and mainly because I fancy Alice...😉

Yes, pants are an understatement. My mum used to watch it when I was younger and used to let me watch it as a treat, along with Juliet Bravo- and look what happened to me! I should be able to sew/sue/su (??sp!) them for compensation!

I must confess to watching the Christmas special though....and mildy enjoying it. I will never say the same for Holby City though. Now that is pure rubbish....

I love Casualty and Holby City, it's escapism and I like predicting who is going to come to their end in the program... plus as a nurse it is fun to pick holes in stuff, not that I do that much these days..

I was racking my brains to think of how the diabetes storyline could in any way be logical and factual. I couldn't!
1. The girl was brought in after a boat accident, where her 'special' insulin had gone to the bottom of the lake.

2.She needed insulin, but her father said she wouldn't have anything tested on animals - she had to heve 'Bentyllin' (or something) which they got specially from their pharmacy in Cornwall.

3. They might have said that ahe was allergic to analogue/synthetic insulin, but I can't be sure and it's not on iPlayer.

4. Hospitals rarely stock porcine/bovine insulin these days, so wouldn't have been their first choice of insulin to give her anyway, despite her moral objections.

5. What could they possibly give her? Let's say she IS allergic to synthetic and doesn't as a rule have animal insulin. What else is there?

They gave her something that brought her out of (her rapid descent into) DKA. What could it be?

OK, here's a transcript of the first bit:

Dad: Have you found that insulin?
Male Dr: The paramedics's told us she was diabetic
Girl: Dad, don't fuss
Dad: It's called Bentillin B-E-N-T-I-L-L-I-N. She's allergic to all other synthetic kinds
Female Dr: That's unusual. Don't you carry it with you?
Dad: Always, which is why it's now at the bottom of the lake
Female Dr: So when's her next shot due?
Dad: About now
Female Dr: I'll see what we've got in pharmacy
Dad: Thank you. So how is she?
Male Dr: Her body temperature's a bit low, but a warm saline drip should do the trick.
Dad: That's just salt and water, right? Because we don't want...
Girl: Anything that's been tested on animals

And later....

Male Dr: Mr Sarson, I've checked, and we definitely don't stock Bentillin. Who's your normal supplier?
Girl: Jacob's Chemist in Penzance
Male Dr: Are you allergic to animal insulin?
Girl: No, but it comes from pigs and cows
Dad: She's serious. We both are
Brother-in-law: Ade, mate, can't you bend the rules just this once?
Dad: It's not about rules, this is about who we are, and what we believe

And later again....

Girl is breathing rapidly and downing cups of water.

Dad: What's happened to that insulin?
Male Dr: We're in the process of phoning round all the local pharmacies to see if anyone stocks it
Girl: I'm still thirsty
Dad: Can't you give her some more fluids?
Male Dr: Yes, but that will only stabilise her for a while. She's diabetic and she needs insulin. End of story.
Brother-in-law: How about it? Look, you and Mo almost drowned today. If this doesn't count as an emergency, what the hell does?
Dad shakes his head.
Brother-in-law: Well that's just great, Ade.

Outside the room:
Male Dr: So what do you think?
Consultant/Registrar?: I think you should phone our legal department and see what our position is

Later....

She's on oxygen. Throws up.

Later....

Consultant/Registrar bloke on phone: Yes, I know insulin's on its way. But what we're trying to ascertain is how long it will be before it gets here. Well call me back when you do know.
Male Dr: We're trying to see if we can get a court order. It's going to take some time.
Consultant/Registrar: I'm going to talk to the father, see if some old-fashioned bullying will do the trick.

Later.....

She's seemingly delusional now.

Girl: It's falling!
Brother-in-law: Mowita, there's nothing there.
Girl: I need to catch it!
Consultant/Registrar: Mr Sarson? Look, I really think this has gone on long enough, don't you?
Dad: Oh, I see. You can't find the drug she needs, so now it's our fault for inconveniencing you.
Consultant/Registrar: If we don't treat her now, she will go into a coma, whereas if we give her insulin, you and Mowita can spend the rest of your lives being as principled as you like.
Dad: You don't understand do you? Mowita wouldn't want a single animal to die so she could live.
Consultant/Registrar: She's 15 years old, I really doubt she's thought it through.
Dad: If we forget about the rights of animals..

She starts screaming. He runs out of the room to throw up.

Outside:

Brother-in-law: Why are you doing this?
Dad: Because it's right
Brother -in-law: Some things are more important than being right. Like not killing your own daughter.
Dad: Have you ever walked past a slaughterhouse when they're killing the pigs? Heard them screaming in terror? Cause animals can smell death you know.
Brother-in-law: Ade, who the hell cares?! I would gladly kill every pig on earth to save Mo's life. You're her dad, you must feel the same way too!
Dad: Well, I don't.

He gives the dad a properly poncy theatrical backhanded slap.

Later....

They're having a scrap outside the hospital.....

Later....

His brother-in-law is pinning him down to the floor.

Dad: Can you get off me?
Brother-in-law: Think about what you're doing, please.
Dad: I'm thinking, Phil. Believe me, I'm thinking.

Back in the room:

Another female Dr: Her BP's dropping and she's tachycardic
Male Dr: Right, how's she doing?
Female Dr: Not good, we've sent for the PICU team.
Male Dr: Bentillin's on it's way. It should be here in two hours.
Another Male Dr: She's having Kussmaul respirations, and she's going into DKA
Female Dr: This is crazy
Another Male Dr: I've had just about enough of this
Male Dr: There's nothing you can do except give her insulin

He grabs a syringe.

Female Dr: Kieron, maybe we should talk about this.
Male Dr: If we waste any more time, she could end up with brain damage. If anyone asks, I'll say you tried to stop me. This is my call.

He injects her with insulin.

Other Male Dr: You can't just do that man.
Male Dr: I know, but I bet you wish you had.

Later....

Male Dr: Her pressure's stabilising
Female Dr: BM's down, looks like it's working.
Male Dr: Now comes the tricky part.

Dad and Brother-in-law enter.

Brother-in-law: She's looking better
Dad: What happened?
Male Dr: I gave her insulin.
Dad: So the Bentillin turned up then?
Female Dr: Yep. Pretty lucky, huh?
Dad: So that's what you used?
Girl: Dad?
Dad: I'm sorry darling.
Girl: For what?
Brother in Law: Sorry, what's your name?
Male Dr: Dr Fletcher. Although after today, possibly just plain Kieron Fletcher.
Brother in law: I just want to say thanks.
Dad: And so would I

Thanks for that Becky! So, I guess it's not beyond the realms of possibility that someone could be allergic to all synthetics but one and they wouldn't use a real name - hence 'Bentillin'🙄 So, they must have given her some fast-acting pocine/bovine insulin.

If she could only take one insulin (Bentillin), whether by princilpe or allergy response, presumably it's some kind of mixed insulin (no basal/bolus). Wonder how many such cases (if any) exist? I know there are people who don't react well to synthetics (falcon?), especially if they've been on animal for a long time, but I wonder if it is actually possible scientifically (and economically viable) to manufacture a synthetic for such people if they have a moral objection to animal as well?

p.s. I know it's just a pants drama, but it raises an interseting point!!

Hey, I've been watching it since Charlie Fairhead was a lad! It's escapist, easy-watching stuff with Alice in it:D

Since Charlie was a lad, you have been watching from the start!

Alice is nice I agree, but what about Curtis..... poor lad😉

Since Charlie was a lad, you have been watching from the start!

Alice is nice I agree, but what about Curtis..... poor lad😉

Underneath, he was a nice lad, but he just wouldn't let it lie with that thug who topped his brother! Alice would be much better off with me.😉

Underneath, he was a nice lad, but he just wouldn't let it lie with that thug who topped his brother! Alice would be much better off with me.😉

Alan I'm in stitches here!........what are we doing having a conversation about a drama on telly::confused::D

The guy who does bloods and measurements at my clinic is called Luigi, and is Italian. I have clinic on Tuesday, and all I'm going to be thinking now is that he should be serving gelato and singing 'just one cornetto....'

Does he have a shorter fatter brother called Mario? 😛

Alan I'm in stitches here!........what are we doing having a conversation about a drama on telly::confused::D

I know - it has drifted off topic a bit, but started with the best of intentions! I do think it is important to highlight misrepresentation of diabetes in such popular programmes because it is probably the closest the general public get to an education on it!😱

My favourite 'hospital' sequences are those in Neighbours - there's usually at least one member of the street in there and they always get the same room!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back