Carb Counting

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesley1978

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi there,

I have never officially been taught how to carb count but I have learnt to estimate how much insulin I need dependant on what I am eating ie. salad versus jacket spud and bean etc.

I am looking into getting a pump and have my first appointment on the 10 Aug to go and see the consultant (think this will just be the diabetic consultant and not the actual pumper). I meet the criteria for hypos etc but as I have not been taught to carb count I was wondering if anyone could give me any info or point me in the best directing to get a bit more clued up on it before I attend my appointment?

I know that they send you on a DAFNE course and I have been looking on their website but I really want to give myself every chance of getting a pump and I want to be as prepared as I possibly can!

Thanks

Lesley

Ask your consultant or your GP to put you on a DAFNE course. You probably do it all already. Good luck

Perhaps a SADIE or a DAFNE course would be a good thing to get onto. I myself am on a SADIE course and I start tomorrow. Best of luck getting a course.

Tom H

Perhaps a SADIE or a DAFNE course would be a good thing to get onto. I myself am on a SADIE course and I start tomorrow. Best of luck getting a course.

Tom H

Hey Tom, hope the course goes well - what does SADIE stand for? Sandwiches And Desserts In Equilibrium?:D

Hey Tom, hope the course goes well - what does SADIE stand for? Sandwiches And Desserts In Equilibrium?:D

Sandwiches and Deserts In Eastbourne more like 🙄! I can't recall what it actually stands for. Probably something where half the words would do!

Tom,

Let us all know how it goes, with SADIE.

Are you quite confident with carb counting before you're going on this course?? Just trying to work out if I should go on one or not??

Tom,

Let us all know how it goes, with SADIE.

Are you quite confident with carb counting before you're going on this course?? Just trying to work out if I should go on one or not??

I'd say if there's any doubt about if you should or not then go for it! I don't know about SADIE but certainly on DAFNE (what is with these names?!?!) there is a lot more to it than just carb counting so I'd have thought most people would get something out of it.

I'd say if there's any doubt about if you should or not then go for it! I don't know about SADIE but certainly on DAFNE (what is with these names?!?!) there is a lot more to it than just carb counting so I'd have thought most people would get something out of it.

I think you're right, whats going on about these names!?

But seriously I agree probably is best to go on one. I'm moving (I hope!!) in the next couple of months, so will have to change everything, guaranteed to be a headache! But once I'm settled, I think I'll look into it! Hmm I hope I don't get a poor service area:(, still what will be will be, at least I've got you guys/gals!!!🙂

The online BDEC course is sooooo good.

I hate to say it but after 13 years of being a type 1 I have learnt so much more from an online course than I have ever been taught by my professionals! I have never been taught to carb count and have just worked things out myself through having the same sort of meals!! I now feel clued up about my condition and feel armed with the right information to try to manage things correctly.

i really can't believe it!! what is going on with our health service? For the first time in 13 years I actually feel like I know what I am doing!

Lesley x

Hi Lesley

Good luck with your appointment regarding a pump..🙂..Hope all goes well..Please keep us all posted how this goes

Re: Carb counting...I cannot say anything that has'nt already been said by others...Glad though that you have found the information that you needed...🙂

As you may be aware Nathan does'nt carb count either.

Heidi
x🙂

not sure who nathan is???

Ignore this. I have just realised that this is relating to the post that I ranted about. Have you tried looking at the bdec website and going down that route?

x

Last edited:
not sure who nathan is???

Ignore this. I have just realised that this is relating to the post that I ranted about. Have you tried looking at the bdec website and going down that route?

x

Hi Lesley....

Hahahahaha...Nathan aka "Kevin the Teenager" is my 14 year old son....:D

I have'nt actually had a look at the web site...but I am going to tomorrow..hopefully it may give me some pointers etc...

Heidi
x🙂

Hi Lesley. This site is really good for teaching yourself how to carb count: http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

This is good too: http://www.leedsth.nhs.uk/sites/diabetes/food/CarbohydrateCountingRef.php

Goodluck 🙂

Hmm is this right, I can do a carb counting style course by registering with the sunny bournemoth e learning website link above posted by Katie? I never looked at it before as it was for bournmouth peeps! This is tempting? How long does it take, do I need days off work, like you do for dafne?? Sorry if questions are stupid, I just never expected an online course thing!

Hmm is this right, I can do a carb counting style course by registering with the sunny bournemoth e learning website link above posted by Katie? I never looked at it before as it was for bournmouth peeps! This is tempting? How long does it take, do I need days off work, like you do for dafne?? Sorry if questions are stupid, I just never expected an online course thing!

It looks great, go for it.

Hi Rossi,

You can start the online course whenever you want, stop part way through and resume when you are next online or whenever. The guy who made it was on my course at uni :D Think it was his dissertation. It isn't just for Bournemouth people, anyone can try it. Give it a go 🙂

coolio!

I'm just registering now,and it told me I already have registered!!??
Maybe one drunken night I read a thread of yours and did it without realising!!

Oh well cheers Katie and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back