Can I do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
So my metter I've recently been changed to isn't the best suited for a my job can I request that my team change to me to a different one that would be more suitable and make a fuss(in a ploute way) if they say no

Yes. Whenever something's not working for you, you can explain and ask that they change it.

Whether that'll actually work is another question, but they'll want you to have something that you can work with so I'd expect them to try.

Yes. Whenever something's not working for you, you can explain and ask that they change it.

Whether that'll actually work is another question, but they'll want you to have something that you can work with so I'd expect them to try.
I'm doing my best to make it work in the mean time.

They changed me over to it because it was cheqper

I'm doing my best to make it work in the mean time.
Keeping your monitor close to your body which will only be a few degrees cooler than your temperature of 37 degrees whatever the outside temperature is should be well within the operating temp. At least now we are getting warmer temperatures.
What appears to be published suggests no monitor is better than any other in their temp range but some are better as they can be tucked more easily in a warmer place on your body.

What appears to be published suggests no monitor is better than any other in their temp range but some are better as they can be tucked more easily in a warmer place on your body.
I must admit that would be my guess too. I can believe some might be marginally different, but I'd guess it would be more by chance than design.

Keeping your monitor close to your body which will only be a few degrees cooler than your temperature of 37 degrees whatever the outside temperature is should be well within the operating temp. At least now we are getting warmer temperatures.
they are others which exapct a lower operating temputrpe however the ,meter I've changed to sometimes doesn't like tempters that whiten the supposes operating tempura. for example the one I seen alone says 4 degrees. which is actually quite a bit lower then some) and yes they may be warmer temptress on someday. however tomorrow evens predicted to be cant cold. but yes I'm going to put the strips someway else and not in with the meter so i'll hopfully be okay. keeping my old in my inside poacket worked well. as it was very thin.(big enough the other way for me not to worry about losing it though)

they are others which exapct a lower operating temputrpe however the ,meter I've changed to sometimes doesn't like tempters that whiten the supposes operating tempura. for example the one I seen alone says 4 degrees. which is actually quite a bit lower then some) and yes they may be warmer temptress on someday. however tomorrow evens predicted to be cant cold. but yes I'm going to put the strips someway else and not in with the meter so i'll hopfully be okay. keeping my old in my inside poacket worked well. as it was very thin.(big enough the other way for me not to worry about losing it though)
I mean on wenesday its partidicted to be quite cold here.

one thing I do like about it though is I can set alarms on it so i've have for when I usually take my liverier so if my phone days I get busy at work and not nesrrcy notice the time it will beep an that remind me.

So my metter I've recently been changed to isn't the best suited for a my job can I request that my team change to me to a different one that would be more suitable and make a fuss(in a ploute way) if they say no
I think that the answer to your basic question is a resounding YES.

There is a NICE Guideline, NG 17, published on 26 August 2015 and updated on 21 July 21 titled

"Type 1 diabetes in adults: diagnosis and management"

( this link should work: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...wQFnoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3JDbb8KXeZANvS-22JCgZs )

A slightly simplistic and short summary of this document says T1s should be given all the help they need. Such help must include:
Assessments of each of: medical, work, social and emotional needs.
A consequent care plan, with annual reviews.
Appropriate medications and equipment, suitable for patient's needs.
Involvement of the patient in determining best solutions.

From reading this document I can't help concluding that you are a long way from being supported in accordance with this Guideline. You not only need the right test equipment, but you should be given assurance on resupply, by prescription, of expendable medications such as enough test strips for whatever meter works best for you.

The hassle you currently encounter with test strip resupply is not only unnecessary and incorrect, it is also causing you undue stress, something that is widely recognised as being bad for best management of your blood glucose.

If I were in your shoes I'd politely insist on an initial GP consultation to address my (ie your) concerns over my (your) medications and their affect on my (your) ability to work. And I'd take copies of extracts from the NICE NG17 Guideline with me to make sure that my GP realised that I wasn't going to be easily "fobbed off".

Good luck.

I think that the answer to your basic question is a resounding YES.

There is a NICE Guideline, NG 17, published on 26 August 2015 and updated on 21 July 21 titled

"Type 1 diabetes in adults: diagnosis and management"

( this link should work: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...wQFnoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3JDbb8KXeZANvS-22JCgZs )

A slightly simplistic and short summary of this document says T1s should be given all the help they need. Such help must include:
Assessments of each of: medical, work, social and emotional needs.
A consequent care plan, with annual reviews.
Appropriate medications and equipment, suitable for patient's needs.
Involvement of the patient in determining best solutions.

From reading this document I can't help concluding that you are a long way from being supported in accordance with this Guideline. You not only need the right test equipment, but you should be given assurance on resupply, by prescription, of expendable medications such as enough test strips for whatever meter works best for you.

The hassle you currently encounter with test strip resupply is not only unnecessary and incorrect, it is also causing you undue stress, something that is widely recognised as being bad for best management of your blood glucose.

If I were in your shoes I'd politely insist on an initial GP consultation to address my (ie your) concerns over my (your) medications and their affect on my (your) ability to work. And I'd take copies of extracts from the NICE NG17 Guideline with me to make sure that my GP realised that I wasn't going to be easily "fobbed off".

Good l
For now until I di get the opportunity to make a plolte fuss ill go with keeping it in my inside pocket without the strips.

I must admit that would be my guess too. I can believe some might be marginally different, but I'd guess it would be more by chance than design.
I’ve had diabetes for 14 years and honestly never used a meter as temperature sensitive as the wavesense jazz wireless. Keeping it very close to your body is the only way to get a reading out of the thing. It only works for me if it’s over at lease 16-17c, and so it often ends up down my bra, wrapped in my hands, or anywhere else I can stuff it to warm it up enough to use.

Only sticking with it because it’s so tiny it’s quite convenient to carry, and hopefully it will be soon warm enough that getting the meter up to temperature won’t be as difficult.

I've politely made a fuss in the past when they tried to change my meter. I forget the brand but it was an horrendous, unhygienic design that required me to 'smear' my blood on the test strip across the body of the device.
I told them that whilst it may be cheaper, my later life medical care will cost them a lot more if I stop caring for my diabetes. An empty threat, but it worked.
My GP gives out Caresens Dual meters now, which is a good little device.

I’ve had diabetes for 14 years and honestly never used a meter as temperature sensitive as the wavesense jazz wireless. Keeping it very close to your body is the only way to get a reading out of the thing. It only works for me if it’s over at lease 16-17c, and so it often ends up down my bra, wrapped in my hands, or anywhere else I can stuff it to warm it up enough to use.

Only sticking with it because it’s so tiny it’s quite convenient to carry, and hopefully it will be soon warm enough that getting the meter up to temperature won’t be as difficult.
I don't seem to have as much trobue as you if at home but yes i did seem to earlier before lunch.

I don't seem to have as much trobue as you if at home but yes i did seem to earlier before lunch.
My main one isn't the wireless I did use that for a day a bit though the only error 4 message I got that day was one a walk home which wax under 10 but it does sound like there both a like bit of a pain.

I've politely made a fuss in the past when they tried to change my meter. I forget the brand but it was an horrendous, unhygienic design that required me to 'smear' my blood on the test strip across the body of the device.
I told them that whilst it may be cheaper, my later life medical care will cost them a lot more if I stop caring for my diabetes. An empty threat, but it worked.
My GP gives out Caresens Dual meters now, which is a good little device.
What now I'm intrigued I didn't think any did my first one did requie me to not areo 2k did require me to lift my the blood to the strip though.

What now I'm intrigued I didn't think any did my first one did requie me to not areo 2k did require me to lift my the blood to the strip though.
active-mmol-300x400.png

I found an image of it on Google. The Accu-Chek Active. The test strips were really long & the part that took your blood lined up with the depression you see in the meter. Nothing active about it, fiddly as heck to use & smearing your blood in front of the meter is just ridiculously unhygienic.

View attachment 20389

I found an image of it on Google. The Accu-Chek Active. The test strips were really long & the part that took your blood lined up with the depression you see in the meter. Nothing active about it, fiddly as heck to use & smearing your blood in front of the meter is just ridiculously unhygienic.
That's strange I hear nothing but good things about aquacheck meters now maybe they improved since this one

That's strange I hear nothing but good things about aquacheck meters now maybe they improved since this one
AccuChek are normally okay. This particular meter was terrible to use. Can't say how accurate it was, but I had more failed tests than ever with it. Went in the bin after 'words' with my doctor.

AccuChek are normally okay. This particular meter was terrible to use. Can't say how accurate it was, but I had more failed tests than ever with it. Went in the bin after 'words' with my doctor.
I'm fairly sure I had that one once. I didn't find it too bad to use but I guess it was a while ago so maybe I'm forgetting. I have a mostly unused Accu-Chek Aviva Nano which is fine (you apply the blood at the end of the strip as is usual nowadays).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back