Breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

karinagal

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Breakfast.. can't get past the cereal thing yet and have just finished a box of weetabix yesterday. Tried Oatibix this morning - double yeuch!! 😱 What's everyones breakfast of choice?

museli for me, apart from something else as a treat at weekends. It is about the only thing that does not give me high post meal spikes.

Muesli I can handle - which brand do you use?

Weetabix or good old fashioned porridge 🙂

Weetabix or good old fashioned porridge 🙂

I'm a disgrace to my nation I know, but I cannot stand porridge.. 😱
I do love weetabix, but even taking three of them I seem to be feeling hungry again in an hour or two. Saw on a GI site that oat based breakfasts have lower GI than wheat based ones hence the switch to Oatibix, boy did that turn around and bite me on my rather expansive rear end! Yeuch 😱

I've been down to the shops and bought some eggs.. scrambled eggs and toast anyone? Boiled eggs and toast soldiers? Dammit I'm hungry again..

Karina 🙂

I can's stand porridge either - and I live in Scotland! The only way it is edible is laced with lots of jam or golden syrup, which defeats the purpose of eating.

I have Lidl's museli. It has no added sugar, lots of nuts & fruit but does not break the bank. If I buy other cheaper brands it is just lots of oats and it sits on the shelf not being eaten.

I have porridge with some (not a lot mind) fruit on it most days.... I learned that the GI of fruit will be lowered with porridge.... Banana is my fave at the mo...:D

Or cornflakes, shredded wheat without added sugar. I let them get soggy..:D

Some days I have dry wholegrain toast with some marmite on it.

Or a complete sin is to have chocolate and hazelnut spread on the toast. On truly bad days I weaken to a double sausage and egg muffin from McD's - I filing the bun.

scrambled eggs on toast is a really good breakfast for keeping you full, give it a go 🙂

I have weetabix everyday in order to try and beat the spike. Never works though, because some days I beat it and some days I go really high afterwards, even though I take the same amount of insulin. Diabetes sucks! 😉

scrambled eggs on toast is a really good breakfast for keeping you full, give it a go 🙂

I have weetabix everyday in order to try and beat the spike. Never works though, because some days I beat it and some days I go really high afterwards, even though I take the same amount of insulin. Diabetes sucks! 😉

Weetabix sent me high too, now I have porridge and no problem.

Weekend treat of choice would be bacon & eggs!

But generally weekends this time of year it is porridge

weekdays I've moved from museli (fruit & nut) to Shredded wheat.

Weetabix sent me high too, now I have porridge and no problem.

I only like the packet porridge that is flavoured and has added sugar and that sends me high still, probably because it's refined and has sugar in it 🙄

Maybe I should try something else though.

I only like the packet porridge that is flavoured and has added sugar and that sends me high still, probably because it's refined and has sugar in it 🙄

Maybe I should try something else though.

Ah well now you see, I'm a true Scot. I have mine with a pinch of salt.:D

I used to have weetabix too, but I had huge spikes. They are actually high GI, I think about 70 on the Gycemic Index

I found a list of breakfast cereals and the GI.

Breakfast Cereals Glycemic Index Score G.I. Type
All Bran 42 Low G.I
Cheerios 74 High G.I
Coco pops 77 High G.I
Corn Flakes 84 High G.I
Muesli 56 Medium G.I
Oatbran 55 Medium G.I
Porridge 42 Low G.I
Rice Crispies 82 High G.I
Sustain 68 Med-High G.I
Sultana Bran 52 Medium G.I
Shredded Wheat 67 Med-High G.I
Special K 64 Med-High G.I
Weetabix 69 Med-High G.I

Thanks rachel, that's very useful! I like All Bran so might try that. I have a feeling the milk might be the thing that sends me high though - could be an interesting experiment.

Ah well now you see, I'm a true Scot. I have mine with a pinch of salt.:D

eew lol! that doesn't sound too appealing to me :D

am i the only one who has toast then lol. I'd go along with katie and say scrambled egg is a great brekkie .

I found a list of breakfast cereals and the GI.

Breakfast Cereals Glycemic Index Score G.I. Type
Muesli 56 Medium G.I
Porridge 42 Low G.I
Shredded Wheat 67 Med-High G.I

Cheers Rachel, I might move onto porridge 7 days a week then! might try the salt too haven't had salt in porridge since me ma made it probably!

Alison is it just a pinch a portion? at the end stir in or as you're warming it on the stove?

I add stir in a pinch of salt and a little fresh ground black pepper as I'm ready to eat it. I have the Plain Oat-So-Simple which comes in a packet so I don't have to measure it and maybe be tempted to add a little extra I shouldn't. 2 minutes in the microwave and it's done.

oats-so-simlple - those are the ones I was on about :D I used to eat the apple ones.

I add stir in a pinch of salt and a little fresh ground black pepper as I'm ready to eat it. I have the Plain Oat-So-Simple which comes in a packet so I don't have to measure it and maybe be tempted to add a little extra I shouldn't. 2 minutes in the microwave and it's done.

They keep bubbling over in our Mwave! But moved from those packets to just the box of oats, still tasty! Soon to be imporved with SnP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back