Brake pads. Sort of T1 related, in a weird way.

To me the whole 'turndown service' is creepy, intrusive and subservient: luckily the hotels that I stay in are rarely posh enough for that.
Don’t get me wrong. I’ve stayed in some rough dives too. Checked into what looked like a government facility in an “eastern block,” (even the taxi driver didn’t wanna hang about!) came back from a night out. & on my way back to my room found myself navigating “S workers” in the tight corridor?

To me the whole 'turndown service' is creepy, intrusive and subservient: luckily the hotels that I stay in are rarely posh enough for that.
My sister and her husband have a thing for teddy bears (I know it is weird and they have quite a collection) and years ago when we used to do a lot of walking they would take one of their bears with them and he would accompany them out walking in the rucksack which always made other people smile. They can afford to stay in very posh hotels that do a "turn down" service whilst you are having dinner and when they returned to their room each night, Teddy was always propped up in bed, with the bedside light on awaiting their return, when he had been left in the chair next to the bed. Either Teddy crawled into bed himself or the maids had a sense of humour!

I never thought the “chocolates on the pillow” thing a good idea? What if a guest doesn’t notice them throws the baggage in the room, exits, locks up. Then decided to hit the bar. Staggers back face plants the soft furnishings?

Who are these extremely strange people who don’t notice free chocolate?? 😱

My sister and her husband have a thing for teddy bears (I know it is weird and they have quite a collection) and years ago when we used to do a lot of walking they would take one of their bears with them and he would accompany them out walking in the rucksack which always made other people smile. They can afford to stay in very posh hotels that do a "turn down" service whilst you are having dinner and when they returned to their room each night, Teddy was always propped up in bed, with the bedside light on awaiting their return, when he had been left in the chair next to the bed. Either Teddy crawled into bed himself or the maids had a sense of humour!
I hate it when hotels intrude like that! It reminds me of a hotel that I stayed in in Cornwall years ago: every day the cleaner left the radio on quietly, tuned to a local station - even though, when I left the room in the morning, I always had the radio tuned to Radio 2 and switched off.

I hate it when hotels intrude like that! It reminds me of a hotel that I stayed in in Cornwall years ago: every day the cleaner left the radio on quietly, tuned to a local station - even though, when I left the room in the morning, I always had the radio tuned to Radio 2 and switched off.
My brother in law particularly absolutely loved it. He saw it as, not just good service, but someone using their initiative to put a smile on their customer's face and it did, not only their customer but it still makes me smile now, thinking about it. Just shows how different we all are. That said, my brother in law would definitely not be impressed if someone messed with his radio channel and I think that is a significantly different situation.

My brother in law particularly absolutely loved it. He saw it as, not just good service, but someone using their initiative to put a smile on their customer's face and it did, not only their customer but it still makes me smile now, thinking about it. Just shows how different we all are. That said, my brother in law would definitely not be impressed if someone messed with his radio channel and I think that is a significantly different situation.
Well I'm rather anti-social, I'm afraid - especially if I'm working away. As far as I'm concerned I'm just hiring a room: I don't want the staff to try to become my friend!

When you are hypo, you need fast acting carbs to recover as soon as possible. There is zero point eating biscuits or granola bars until your BG is above 4.0 mmol/l
Perhaps, though it depends how you feel and whether you can stomach something sweet at that point. When I ride, if I stop my hypo will generally resolve itself (or at least not get worse) so while I agree that something fast acting is best, if I can only face the thought of eating biscuits and granola bars, that's what I eat.

Perhaps, though it depends how you feel and whether you can stomach something sweet at that point. When I ride, if I stop my hypo will generally resolve itself (or at least not get worse) so while I agree that something fast acting is best, if I can only face the thought of eating biscuits and granola bars, that's what I eat.
I was a keen cyclist long before I developed LADA and I learnt from painful experiences of bonking that (for any cyclist) it's crucial to 'drink before you're thirsty and eat before you're hungry'. I've been in races when I've had that sinking realisation that I'm bonking and that I'm going to just get slower and slower regardless of what I do or don't eat by that point.

On our Nile Cruise many years ago when they made the beds in the morning they had made some sort of animal with the towels and put an item of ours to adorn it, like the sunglasses, a hat, scarf or a necklace. They were very amusing and very clever.

There’s a significant online music retailer in the US who ships their expensive guitars etc with a handful of candy. US folks in some of the groups I belong to seem to find it all the incentive they need to keep placing orders!

I was a keen cyclist long before I developed LADA and I learnt from painful experiences of bonking that (for any cyclist) it's crucial to 'drink before you're thirsty and eat before you're hungry'. I've been in races when I've had that sinking realisation that I'm bonking and that I'm going to just get slower and slower regardless of what I do or don't eat by that point.
Absolutely, and despite being well aware of this, at the end of long rides I always hope I can make the final couple of hours without needing to force any more food down. Experience shows that this isn't usually (ever!) the case. Though in my defence unless I have to catch a train to get back home, or have some other reason to that requires knowing exactly how long it will take, it makes it more bearable not facing up to knowing exactly how much longer one has to ride (type 2 fun). I therefore usually need to eat an emergency pack or two of fun size Skittles (rather than Haribo 😉) once I accept that I'm going to go hypo and there's still a decent stretch of riding to be done (and invariably hills - there's always a pesky hill or two to that need to be climbed in the last 20km!)

I will think of this thread at the tail end of my next long ride and try to do better! 🙂

There is a difference between the immediate difficulty "forcing" sweet food down and the longer term impact of your body getting used to the lower BG increasing your lack of hypo awareness. You may feel better at the time but the reason for reducing recovery time is to maintain hypo awareness even if you feel ok at the time.

There is a difference between the immediate difficulty "forcing" sweet food down and the longer term impact of your body getting used to the lower BG increasing your lack of hypo awareness. You may feel better at the time but the reason for reducing recovery time is to maintain hypo awareness even if you feel ok at the time.
Are you a road cyclist? Please respect how other insulin users manage their T1 condition regarding this activity. I respect the experiences. Allow the same. I have my own experiences touring on an old Raleigh bike in my youth. Both for leisure & to get to work? It’s just good to just chat & appreciate perspectives from these guys.

In other news the disks arived, currier moaned they were a bit heavy. (So my wife said.) Thinking there might be a “party share pack” of Haribos checking inside a box this time. At least it looks like I can now stop my 22 year old vehicle safely. I got what I needed. Safe on the road. Rest assured I always look out for bikes, motorised or otherwise. Stay safe!

Back