Brake pads. Sort of T1 related, in a weird way.

Satan’s little helper

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I ordered new front brakes. Next day delivery for my vehicle. (It was an advisory on the MOT.) I opened the Jiffy bag when my order arrived all nicely bubble wrapped and at the bottom was a “treat sized” 12.5 gram? bag of Haribos. :rofl: I’ve had them thrown in with sensor protector armbands. But car parts? Is this a “thing” now?

Thinking back a couple of years. I never got these “favours” when ordering a hose & engine temp sensor. Looking at the use by date, I can keep these handy till late 2025. They were produced in August this year. Doing detective work. Not an after thought disposed of from a benevolent colleague at Christmas.

Wiggle were doing this for years with their bike/sports product/clothing/kit deliveries, perhaps other companies are following suit (but hopefully not all the way to going bust like Wiggle did)

Wiggle were doing this for years with their bike/sports product/clothing/kit deliveries, perhaps other companies are following suit (but hopefully not all the way to going bust like Wiggle did)
Thanks. So it’s not just a “petrol head” thing? Just googled wiggle. Thought it was a sort of “ laser printed” diabetes related accessory product?” (Get “it” with your Libre or whatever sensor protector?)

I ordered new front brakes. Next day delivery for my vehicle. (It was an advisory on the MOT.) I opened the Jiffy bag when my order arrived all nicely bubble wrapped and at the bottom was a “treat sized” 12.5 gram? bag of Haribos. :rofl: I’ve had them thrown in with sensor protector armbands. But car parts? Is this a “thing” now?

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, makes a change from discount voucher for box of wine.

Thanks. So it’s not just a “petrol head” thing? Just googled wiggle. Thought it was a sort of “ laser printed” diabetes related accessory product?” (Get “it” with your Libre or whatever sensor protector?)
No, there's a long standing idea that Haribos are a good/cheap alternative to cycling-specific energy gels, etc. So adding a pack in the box along with your (predominantly cycling related) sports gear was a cheap and "cute" idea.

No, there's a long standing idea that Haribos are a good/cheap alternative to cycling-specific energy gels, etc. So adding a pack in the box along with your (predominantly cycling related) sports gear was a cheap and "cute" idea.

That makes sense. Though I do find I need to back up with longer acting carbs if my basal is causing a low. Otherwise I can be dipping into the bag every 30 minutes?

My daughter had this… she’d ordered some sort of armband to help her Dexcom stay on though, so as it was a diabetes-related product, the pack of Haribo had a little sticker on it showing the carb count 🙂

My daughter had this… she’d ordered some sort of armband to help her Dexcom stay on though, so as it was a diabetes-related product, the pack of Haribo had a little sticker on it showing the carb count 🙂
I had it with a Libre band cover. I think the person running the business laser printing these is T1?

Yes, I got a pack with my ebay purchase of a Libre arm band and the young lad selling them was Type 1, so it was a nice gesture.

If I got some with my new brake pads a few months ago, they went straight to the mechanic and he didn't let on, as I didn't open the delivery box, just took it straight round to him and left it in the car.

Yes, I got a pack with my ebay purchase of a Libre arm band and the young lad selling them was Type 1, so it was a nice gesture.

If I got some with my new brake pads a few months ago, they went straight to the mechanic and he didn't let on, as I didn't open the delivery box, just took it straight round to him and left it in the car.
I thought he was. I remember reading a brief biog on the seller. (But this was 3 or 4 years ago.) It gave me a smile finding them in the brake pad wrapping.

A hotel I used to stay at would leave two 'variety pack' sweets in my room every time I checked in: I guess it's the budget version of chocolates on the pillow.

That makes sense. Though I do find I need to back up with longer acting carbs if my basal is causing a low. Otherwise I can be dipping into the bag every 30 minutes?
I'm not keen on Haribo anyway, too chewy and too sweet for my liking, I prefer something softer and sour (if I'm going for sweets - cola bottles, sour snakes, etc.), and agreed something with a decent mix of short and long acting earlier on is better (I can certainly keep eating biscuits or granola bars for a longer duration than I can sweets, even if they are sour.)

I'm not keen on Haribo anyway, too chewy and too sweet for my liking, I prefer something softer and sour (if I'm going for sweets - cola bottles, sour snakes, etc.), and agreed something with a decent mix of short and long acting earlier on is better (I can certainly keep eating biscuits or granola bars for a longer duration than I can sweets, even if they are sour.)
When you are hypo, you need fast acting carbs to recover as soon as possible. There is zero point eating biscuits or granola bars until your BG is above 4.0 mmol/l

Yep, I hear you. I tend to go for the slug shaped sugar coated ones? Then ram down a biscuit & crack on with my job. (Hopefully.)

A hotel I used to stay at would leave two 'variety pack' sweets in my room every time I checked in: I guess it's the budget version of chocolates on the pillow.
I never thought the “chocolates on the pillow” thing a good idea? What if a guest doesn’t notice them throws the baggage in the room, exits, locks up. Then decided to hit the bar. Staggers back face plants the soft furnishings?

I never thought the “chocolates on the pillow” thing a good idea? What if a guest doesn’t notice them throws the baggage in the room, exits, locks up. Then decided to hit the bar. Staggers back face plants the soft furnishings?
To me the whole 'turndown service' is creepy, intrusive and subservient: luckily the hotels that I stay in are rarely posh enough for that.

Back