Both ankles swelling and gaining weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try it and see. Diabetes is all about experimenting and finding what works for you and your body. We are all different and whilst the PAL probably specifies 12 hours apart, many of us find that being able to change that timing with Levemir is another one of the benefit's of it's flexibility. The overlap for me between the small night time dose and the morning dose gives me a little extra insulin activity when I need to most to tackle FOTF but with your large evening dose, taking it a bit later should push the peak of activity back a bit to where you need it most for DP.

Hi Emma yes I am. They put me on a statin when I was mis diagnosed T2 and I’m on a blood pressure tablet also. Thanks @EmmaL76
Yes I was wondering about BP meds, are these the more likely cause? I have heard other members have a similar reaction to those. Hoping you get to speak to someone soon about this as it sound distressing xx

Try it and see. Diabetes is all about experimenting and finding what works for you and your body. We are all different and whilst the PAL probably specifies 12 hours apart, many of us find that being able to change that timing with Levemir is another one of the benefit's of its flexibility. The overlap for me between the small night time dose and the morning dose gives me a little extra insulin activity when I need to most to tackle FOTF but with your large evening dose, taking it a bit later should push the peak of activity back a bit to where you need it most for DP.
Excellent as always Barbara thank you

Yes I was wondering about BP meds, are these the more likely cause? I have heard other members have a similar reaction to those. Hoping you get to speak to someone soon about this as it sound distressing xx
Worth a shout thank you so much xx

@rebrascora Barbara meant to ask you. Still not moved over to Fiasp yet. Prescription be ready this week. Do you inject 2 mins before food or 20 mins after? Just looking for some helpful tips on it. How fast does it work and roughly how long before it finishes? Thanks xx

I usually inject 15-20 mins before lunch or evening meal with my Fiasp and 45 mins before breakfast. For me it isn't nearly as quick as they make it out to be but still a little less sluggish than NR.

In your shoes I would start a few mins before your meals and extend it as necessary. The only time I might inject after is if my levels are low to start with (in the 4s) and I am going to be having a fatty meal. I hope you aren't like me and find you are disappointed that Fiasp is only marginally less slow than NR, rather than actually quick!

I usually inject 15-20 mins before lunch or evening meal with my Fiasp and 45 mins before breakfast. For me it isn't nearly as quick as they make it out to be but still a little less sluggish than NR.

In your shoes I would start a few mins before your meals and extend it as necessary. The only time I might inject after is if my levels are low to start with (in the 4s) and I am going to be having a fatty meal. I hope you aren't like me and find you are disappointed that Fiasp is only marginally less slow than NR, rather than actually quick!
I thought it was faster! And better than NR. I’m never at 4 before a meal. Usually between 5/7. You’ve burst my bubble Barbara about Fiasp haha

It might be faster for you Michelle, but it is very individual. 45mins is a lot more manageable for me than 75 mins at breakfast time with NR. I am sure that part of this waiting time is caused by the flow of glucose from my liver on a morning ie FOTF, so the bolus insulin is having to swim against a strong tide in order to make any headway.

Check the patient information for your blood pressure medication as some of them can cause swollen ankles and if swollen then they can be painful.
Yes they definitely can and do and normally if the BP drug is needed, they happily also prescribe a diuretic drug to take alongside the BP one - or like in my case where the swelling of feet ankles and calves started within 3 days of starting to take the culprit but because I constantly have pretty low sodium, that contra indicates any diuretic - so I then had to start trying this that and the other for my BP. Sometimes, I warn you - in this quest, you may need to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince!

It might be faster for you Michelle, but it is very individual. 45mins is a lot more manageable for me than 75 mins at breakfast time with NR. I am sure that part of this waiting time is caused by the flow of glucose from my liver on a morning ie FOTF, so the bolus insulin is having to swim against a strong tide in order to make any headway.
Got Fiasp in the fridge now Barbara but it’s taken that bloody long I had another box NR in fridge so I’m going to use that up first. I hear you about the 75 mins I’m sometimes more before I need to correct and then eat. Been having low alarm this week about 1am and been taking Levemir just before bed. Could this later time be causing it? What do you have your low alarm set to please? @rebrascora

I used to get that until a young female 'houseman' at the hospital diabetes clinic one day said 'Try moving it forward between eating your dinner and bedtime' - so OK that sounded far too simple at first until I tried it for a week - and found it only ruddywell worked. So - about 07.30 and then 21.00(ish) it became. When I got up for work and after whatever was on the telly between 20.00 and 21.00 it became. The odd times it was later than 21.00 ish, didn't seem to matter very much at all as long as it wasn't like every night for a week. Didn't affect the actual doses.

Just fiddle with the timing a bit and you'll have to see how you go with that.

I used to get that until a young female 'houseman' at the hospital diabetes clinic one day said 'Try moving it forward between eating your dinner and bedtime' - so OK that sounded far too simple at first until I tried it for a week - and found it only ruddywell worked. So - about 07.30 and then 21.00(ish) it became. When I got up for work and after whatever was on the telly between 20.00 and 21.00 it became. The odd times it was later than 21.00 ish, didn't seem to matter very much at all as long as it wasn't like every night for a week. Didn't affect the actual doses.

Just fiddle with the timing a bit and you'll have to see how you go with that.
Thanks Jenny. So when do you take your basal? See I eat dinner early as I can be in a mess if I eat too late & then I’m taking corrections before bed late at night. I take Levemir about 6-7 in morning and just this week been taking it about a half hour before bed. Expecting the low alarm again & I feel totally fine as I’m sleeping.

I have my low alarm set at 4.2, but that is because I know my body responds very quickly to jelly babies to even with a sloping downward arrow I can bring that back up before I hit the red and I sleep better when my levels are low so I prefer to be able to go down to mid 4s and get some really good sound sleep.

Are the low alarms you are getting actually low or could they be compression lows and what is your low alarm set at?
How many carbs are you taking to deal with these lows?
Can you post a photo of your graph showing them?
When do they happen?
And probably most importantly, are you seeing an improvement in the morning, which was the reason why you are trying dropping the evening dose back to bedtime in the first place? If you aren't seeing an improvement in the morning, then it probably isn't worth continuing with that strategy.

@MichelleF78 - I changed to a pump 15 years ago before 'they even invented Libres' 🙂 I don't use my phone because when I got Libre (the Libre 1) I decided firmly that my life was far too important to me to entrust to a mobile phone, which I certainly wouldn't take to ruddy bed with me anyway! Sorry, you have to remember that I'm practically a dinosaur .......

Libre (the 1 and the 2) reader fairly often tells me that I've been occasionally hypo ever since I've got it, (last time it went into the red (below 3.9) was during waking hours on 12th March I see) but whenever it says that so I've finger pricked to check, which I always do if that happens, I rarely have been - I was that day, 3.6 so hence I ate something to sort it. The occasions when I am hypo, BG will frequently be in the upper 3s so nowt to panic about, esp when I'm literally about to eat. The very annoying thing about that pre meal though is that El Pumpo won't either calculate a bolus for the pizza and chips in front of me or allow a self calculated bolus but with eg a half hour delay before it does - I have to physically remember to eat it then retest 'later' and deal with the increase in dribs and drabs of correction for several hours after cos it can quite easily take 5 hours to all 'hit' when it's fatty. Hence - not one of my frequent or favourite meals!

If your insulin to carb ratio is not yet stable, then I'm afraid your nurse is correct - it was literally decades before mine was that stable, but you can't go by me cos much like the BP drugs, I had to kiss quite a few frogs before I found my Roal family - cos before then we just didn't have the same tools in our toolbox so it was a much slower process in all without any of the choices and possibilities we all have today.

Patience really is a virtue with diabetes, mate!

Patience is a virtue, find it where you can - always in a woman, seldom in a man! (which my driving instructor John, he with the wife and two daughters used to quote to me the other way about when I expressed frustration with summat!)

Guys can I please ask what should my low alarm on reader be set at please? 4.0? My phone alarms don’t work on phone @rebrascora @trophywench @Inka

I set mine at 5 or so. I did that so that I could get warnings of my blood sugar dropping and ward it off. Staying above 5 also helps preserve hypo awareness. I do something put it a little lower at nighttime so that it’s not waking me up. Usually I set it to 4.6 at night.

Best to avoid hypos as much as possible.

It is very much a personal choice based on a number of factors. I have mine set at 4.2 and that still gives me enough time to turn it around before I hit hypoland because my digestive system is very fast and I respond quickly to JBs and my low carb way of eating means that I rarely drop particularly fast even during exercise and I sleep best in the 4s, but I would never remember to change it every night and then change it back in the morning, so 4.2 suits me fine.

You have to find what works best for you. What do you have it set at at the moment and how do you find that? Does it give you time to head off hypos? Does it go off frequently during the night and disturb your sleep? If so, are those alarms through the night compression lows or genuine low alarms?

Yes, very individual @rebrascora There are so many factors involved, eg work, daily routine, how predictable a person’s life is, if they have other medical conditions, etc etc. I completely agree that people should set the alarms at levels that work for them, where the alarms are their servants rather than their masters.

Now I have the Dexcom, which I’m finding very accurate, I have been setting my alarms a bit lower. I found the Libre could sometimes be a bit inaccurate at lower or higher numbers so I kind of compensated for that too. So it depends also on how reliable the individual finds their Libre/CGM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back