Best yogurt for type 2 diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libralady

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
My husband has just finished speaking to a dietitian and was told the yogurt he has been eating are too high in sugar Morrisons
Greek style fat free 9grams carb and 6 grams sugar per pot She said to look for ones which are both fat free and sugar free not sure if that means natural sugar or no added sugar. She said natural Greek yogurt with own added fruit would be best but he is not keen although if that is the only alternative he might have to do that. Any suggestions please.

My husband has just finished speaking to a dietitian and was told the yogurt he has been eating are too high in sugar Morrisons
Greek style fat free 9grams carb and 6 grams sugar per pot She said to look for ones which are both fat free and sugar free not sure if that means natural sugar or no added sugar. She said natural Greek yogurt with own added fruit would be best but he is not keen although if that is the only alternative he might have to do that. Any suggestions please.
Look for the total carbs rather than the sugar, Many people have full fat Greek Yoghurt as it is lower carbs. The high protein yoghurt Arla or Aldi is both low carb and low fat or Kvarg deserts which are also low carb and low fat.
Unless you have to have low fat for other medical reasons there is no need to opt for low fat.

Look for the total carbs rather than the sugar, Many people have full fat Greek Yoghurt as it is lower carbs. The high protein yoghurt Arla or Aldi is both low carb and low fat or Kvarg deserts which are also low carb and low fat.
Unless you have to have low fat for other medical reasons there is no need to opt for low fat.
Thank you will have a look both at arla and in Aldi. I have a feeling that I used to eat Arla when awaiting for gallbladder surgery.

Still pushing low fat (sigh) - they must surely realise that the manufacturers add sugar to 'make it nice' - I used to work for Allied Lyons and the attitude was always to make more profit on every ton produced - whatever it was.
As a type 2 diabetic can cope with the protein and fat no problem - assuming normal amounts of course, a supermarket own brand full fat Greek yoghurt seems to suit many type 2s. Of course not by the bucket - but then, it is (I find) far easier to eat less of something which isn't making my taste buds party with it being so sweet. I buy from Tesco and Lidl.

I make sugar free jellies - these days I use only one sachet of actual jelly and the rest gelatine as I don't like things too sweet - I have even used just gelatine and flavoured it with sugar free squash when I could not get to the shops, than added frozen mixed berries. I have that with cream or yoghurt when I want a dessert.

Still pushing low fat (sigh) - they must surely realise that the manufacturers add sugar to 'make it nice' - I used to work for Allied Lyons and the attitude was always to make more profit on every ton produced - whatever it was.
As a type 2 diabetic can cope with the protein and fat no problem - assuming normal amounts of course, a supermarket own brand full fat Greek yoghurt seems to suit many type 2s. Of course not by the bucket - but then, it is (I find) far easier to eat less of something which isn't making my taste buds party with it being so sweet. I buy from Tesco and Lidl.

I make sugar free jellies - these days I use only one sachet of actual jelly and the rest gelatine as I don't like things too sweet - I have even used just gelatine and flavoured it with sugar free squash when I could not get to the shops, than added frozen mixed berries. I have that with cream or yoghurt when I want a dessert.
I have blitzed up redcurrants or blackberries to use with the sugar free jelly as it reduces the sweetness a bit.

There are plenty of low fat, low carb yogurts available now.

The old "low fat must have lots of sugar" went 10 years ago.
I found quite a few that suited my low fat diet.
The dieticians advice is up to date.

I use Fage which is low fat and low carb.

I have blitzed up redcurrants or blackberries to use with the sugar free jelly as it reduces the sweetness a bit.
yes I love this its really refreshing too

Difference in carbs between full fat low fat greek yogurt is tiny, less than 0.5g per 100ml, so don't be put off by anyone saying otherwise.
Also there may or not be a spike from either. It’s not all down to carbs I have found . It’s about how hydrated how much you are moving about snd your metabolism at that particular time. Whether your insulin dependent or insulin suppressed or whether you are sick . There must be other reasons bug it’s not as simple as one yoghurt one anything is better than another . It’s really what works for you as an individual . Also taste had a lot to do with it .

Last edited:
I bought a yogurt maker the other day and can say it's the best yogurt I have ever tasted. No added sugar or sweetener needed with it either.
As the price of yogurt has gone through the roof it will save an awful lot of money in the long run as well 🙂

She said natural Greek yogurt with own added fruit would be best but he is not keen although if that is the only alternative he might have to do that. Any suggestions please.
How many carbs does she think there is in the fruit that is added?

I bought a yogurt maker the other day and can say it's the best yogurt I have ever tasted. No added sugar or sweetener needed with it either.
As the price of yogurt has gone through the roof it will save an awful lot of money in the long run as well 🙂
I did that.
Oat, hemp, soya milk, all low fat, all the low sugar option.
It worked out well.
I even used it to replace the skimmed milk in the Tesco diet shakes last time.

I did that.
Oat, hemp, soya milk, all low fat, all the low sugar option.
It worked out well.
I even used it to replace the skimmed milk in the Tesco diet shakes last time.
I bought a yogurt maker the other day too. It's really lovely - I used commercial plain unsweetened yogurt as a starter, but will use the home made stuff for batch number two. Next time I'm going to strain it down to Greek Style. Best thing is hubby loves it too, and is having it on his breakfast. Just had some with blueberries for lunch. Very scrummy ! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back