Best sugar substitute

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must be too young to remember Camp coffee! 🙂

We only ever used camp coffee to make coffee cake and I still have the bottle in the back of my cupboard.... just going to look at the best before date.... Surprisingly not as far out of date as I expected... just 27/11/11 .... and still an inch in the bottom to use and it still looks and smells OK, so it will get used..... eventually when I find some time to bake. I wonder how long a BBE date it gets when it is manufactured. I'm pretty sure I didn't buy it this century!

Interesting, I once worked with an Indian guy who, for some reason, was convinced British people drank coffee mixed with Chicory. We never understood what he was talking about... It seems Camp coffee has some links to India due to a legend that it was made for the army and a label had a Sikh on it! Maybe he'd seen this stuff. No one had heard of it in the office, and most people didn't have a clue what chicory even was!

We only ever used camp coffee to make coffee cake and I still have the bottle in the back of my cupboard.... just going to look at the best before date.... Surprisingly not as far out of date as I expected... just 27/11/11 .... and still an inch in the bottom to use and it still looks and smells OK, so it will get used..... eventually when I find some time to bake. I wonder how long a BBE date it gets when it is manufactured. I'm pretty sure I didn't buy it this century!
Only used it to make cakes too! Wonder if it is a regional thing as I am originally from the North East.

Only used it to make cakes too! Wonder if it is a regional thing as I am originally from the North East.
Originated in Glasgow, apparently.

You can still by Camp in supermarkets. I tried it once at the recommendation of my mother. It's basically coffee flavoured syrup, and not all that pleasant.
Is camp coffee the same as chickory coffee?

Interesting, I once worked with an Indian guy who, for some reason, was convinced British people drank coffee mixed with Chicory. We never understood what he was talking about... It seems Camp coffee has some links to India due to a legend that it was made for the army and a label had a Sikh on it! Maybe he'd seen this stuff. No one had heard of it in the office, and most people didn't have a clue what chicory even was!
As I understand it, chicory "coffee" was used a lot during the second World War, when there was rationing of tea and coffee. I guess that probably left a substantial part of the generations around then used to drinking it and they maybe therefore continued once proper coffee wasn't rationed any more.

I once got a jar of powdered chicory drink in an Approved Foods lucky box, put it up to Olio and it was fairly quickly claimed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back