Best sugar substitute

Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandma was born in 1888 and lived through 2 wars, she was in service as a cook before marrying my grandpa, we used to go to their house every Sunday for tea and she made amazing cakes, but what I loved most was she also put out a pile of buttered bread, and then in the middle of the table were home made jams and a block of cheese! She had a jug of milk that the spout looked like a fox being sick! always fascinated me. She live until 1986 nearly 100, same as my grandpa, I am so glad of the time I spent with them telling me their life stories....sorry just this talk of sugar sandwiches and camp coffee has taken me right back.

My mum said as a girl her parents gave her gold top milk, which was all cream!

My mum said as a girl her parents gave her gold top milk, which was all cream!
The gold top was from Jersey cows and very creamy, then there was normal milk where the cream separated and was on the top, that had silver top. Then there was homogenised milk where there was virtually no cream and that had red tops. And horrible sterilised milk which was in a thinner bottle with a thin long neck with a metal crimp cap. Then of course there was UHT milk which had a distinctive taste.
I remember the birds used to peck the bottle tops as the milkman delivered very early and in the winter the milk froze and pushed up the top.
Children were encouraged to save the foil caps for donation to guide dogs charity.

The gold top was from Jersey cows and very creamy, then there was normal milk where the cream separated and was on the top, that had silver top. Then there was homogenised milk where there was virtually no cream and that had red tops. And horrible sterilised milk which was in a thinner bottle with a thin long neck with a metal crimp cap. Then of course there was UHT milk which had a distinctive taste.
I remember the birds used to peck the bottle tops as the milkman delivered very early and in the winter the milk froze and pushed up the top.
Children were encouraged to save the foil caps for donation to guide dogs charity.
My weekend job, delivering milk.

I remember as a child drinking sweet tea on holiday, I was fascinated by the sugar cubes and ended up scoffing those on there own when my parents weren't looking too! No wonder I am diabetic, I started out all wrong :rofl:
Good grief - most of us enjoyed the lovely crunch of a sugar lump as a kid - especially as they were a 'treat' cos you didn't get at home in the first place and secondly because your mother wouldn't smack you or tell you off loudly or for long cos you were out in a strange place and she wouldn't wish to draw criticism from outside immediate family.

I accept it wouldn't have been good for my teeth but how the hell that might mean aged 21/22 your auto immune system was going to go a bit rogue, completely escapes me!

we used to have sugar sandwiches for tea when I was little !!!!
We had them for breakfast for a treat once a year while camping! Started when my mum forgot to bring honey or jam, and after that it was tradition and we looked forward to having them on the week's camp all year!

My other half talks about that and condensed milk sandwiches. Whereas me, it was butter and marmite.

We’d have condensed milk on toast at an Uncle’s house, which I don’t remember having at home, though my Mum did use it in baking to make a form of caramel I think?

Good luck in your efforts to ditch the sugar in tea @Wakey

I‘m another who just stopped having sugar in coffee (and now find it undrinkable with it in), so your tastebuds will adapt fairly quickly - you just need to push through the first few weeks. 🙂

Yeah I used to boil the tin of condensed milk to make toffee sauce for banoffee pie

Yeah I used to boil the tin of condensed milk to make toffee sauce for banoffee pie
you can buy a caramel version of condensed milk for this purpose, I would eat it straight from the can! 🙂

you can buy a caramel version of condensed milk for this purpose, I would eat it straight from the can! 🙂
Buying it ready caramelised is cheating :rofl: though very labour saving

There isn't one.
I went from two sugars to none.
It can be done.
This is me. I also went from 2 to none. In fact I try my hardest to avoid anything with sugar, and I don't like sweeteners either, as they all taste artificial to me, and aren't terribly good for you, most of which produce interesting side effects if you have too much of it, if you get my drift.

I never thought I would be able to go without sugar in my drinks, but 5 years down the line I could never go back.

I don't remember camp coffee, but my Grandma used to have pineapple cubes for us.
Very 1970s.
My Grandma worked in service so mealtimes were a ritual... and everything cooked from scratch. If you even messed with the table layout before a meal you were in trouble.
You can still by Camp in supermarkets. I tried it once at the recommendation of my mother. It's basically coffee flavoured syrup, and not all that pleasant.

I love the taste of coffee and tea, and have no idea why anyone would want to pollute it with sugar.
Do you have it with milk? There are people that would say it's sacrilege to have tea or coffee with milk and sugar but I can't drink without milk. Having said that, I've gone from cow's milk to oat milk prepared in my Aeroccino and I could never go back to cow's milk now. I find cow's milk overly sweet by comparison.

Do you have it with milk? There are people that would say it's sacrilege to have tea or coffee with milk and sugar but I can't drink without milk. Having said that, I've gone from cow's milk to oat milk prepared in my Aeroccino and I could never go back to cow's milk now. I find cow's milk overly sweet by comparison.

I drink it black. Sometimes have a cappuccino with cow's milk or Almond milk.
90% of the time black with nothing added apart from water (If I want a 'long' drink).

That was a combination.
Camp coffee in boiling milk in a pan on the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back