Best sugar substitute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wakey

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi all ,I'm looking for the best sugar substitute ,I really enjoy a cup of tea and only have around 3 cups a day but up until I found out I was T2 I had 2 sugars in it and i'm really missing it as hate the taste of some sweeteners so looking for the one is a near to sugar as i can .

We use Sweetex @Wakey, but it's an acquired taste. I suspect that whichever you go for will become acceptable after a while. I've only ever needed a sweetener in my first very strong coffee of the day, just coffee and milk for the rest of the day.

Everybody seems to have a different sensitivity to the taste of artificial sweeteners aside for the ethical considerations. You could try reducing the sugar and you will probably find it better without or just go cold turkey with the sugar.
The Canderel web site has all the different sweeteners and what they are best used for. All you can do is try one and see.

Everybody seems to have a different sensitivity to the taste of artificial sweeteners aside for the ethical considerations. You could try reducing the sugar and you will probably find it better without or just go cold turkey with the sugar.
The Canderel web site has all the different sweeteners and what they are best used for. All you can do is try one and see.
Thank you

I bought sucralose granules from Morrisons, it’s easier to adjust the amount compared to the little tablet things you get. I used to take half a teaspoon of sugar in a cup of tea and I’m finding the sucralose ok.

Another vote for cold turkey here.

I always said I would rather not drink coffee than drink it without sugar/sweetener but my morning unsweetened coffee with cream is now my daily treat/luxury/comfort in a cup.
I have yet to find a decent sweetener and I have experimented with lots.... my cupboards are full of various opened jars and dispensers and they all taste yuk.
Thankfully my partner weaned me off sugar in tea several years before diagnosis so at least I didn't have to tackle the double whammy of breaking a sweet tea and coffee habit at the same time.

I cut sugar out of my coffee before diagnosis on the strong insistence of my dentist. Cutting from 2 spoons to 1 was fairly easy. What helped me cut it out completely was to add a little bit of flavoured essences for a while e.g. vanilla essence. Still a teeny bit of sugar in that probably but much less than actual sugar and still added a slightly sweet taste. After a few weeks I stopped adding that too and now just drink coffee "white americano" style, with just a little milk (preferably semi- skimmed or skimmed, I'm not personally a fan of full fat milk or cream in coffee).

I gave up sugar in coffee in my teens several years before diagnosis, but still had 1 sugar in tea. Was admitted to hospital one morning with exceedingly strongly suspected Type 1 and my sister came at afternoon visiting time - I was in a side ward. Tea trolley arrived - I was still mega thirsty as I'd literally only just had my very first insulin jab - so I'd have drunk anything, and drank the offered tea without sugar. That was 50 years ago this August and I haven't had any sugar in any drink since. I'd got used to it on the Thursday and was enjoying the taste properly by the Friday.

Both tea and coffee are more thirst quenching without sugar!

I never had sugar in tea. I grew up drinking tea and coffee the same way as my dad and he had sugar in coffee but not tea.

My mum wasn't a fan of either and had "Mummy's Specials" - hot water, sugar and a dash of milk! So I did have them too but had gone off them before I reached adulthood. I think she does still drink them but with half to one spoon of sugar rather than 2 heaped spoons. (She reduced the sugar after her dad was diagnosed with Type 2, so far she hasn't got diabetes).

I’ve not taken sugar in Tea for 42 years, back then only ever took half a spoon,
back then when I started my first job, I told them just a half a sugar, a few people commented is it worth half a spoon, and nagged me and after a few weeks tried Tea and Coffee without sugar, it didn’t take long to actually taste the drink rather than the sugar.

my wife recently dropped from taking 3 Sugars in white coffee (my Wife doesn’t actually drink Tea)
to initially 3 sweeteners (the tablet type either canderel Tesco’s own)
then down to 2 sweeteners then 1 and now none,
and she drinks her Coffee black to ! - proof it’s just a getting use to it & taste thing.

I haven't taken sugar in tea or coffee for decades, and milk in either for the same period. I do take milk or cream in a cappuccino, but that is a morning drink, and I don't usually do mornings currently.

I love the taste of coffee and tea, and have no idea why anyone would want to pollute it with sugar.

In baking and on the odd occasion i want something sweeter i use Erithrytol. Can't stand sweeteners but this is the best and tastes most like sugar of all that i have tried. It's £3.20 ish for 250g so not cheap but that lasts me months.

Another vote for cold turkey here.

I always said I would rather not drink coffee than drink it without sugar/sweetener but my morning unsweetened coffee with cream is now my daily treat/luxury/comfort in a cup.
I have yet to find a decent sweetener and I have experimented with lots.... my cupboards are full of various opened jars and dispensers and they all taste yuk.
Thankfully my partner weaned me off sugar in tea several years before diagnosis so at least I didn't have to tackle the double whammy of breaking a sweet tea and coffee habit at the same time.
That's me I said I;ll just stop drinking tea then but I enjoy a nice cup of tea !!! I'll have to cut the sugar down bit by bit I thonk .

I remember as a child drinking sweet tea on holiday, I was fascinated by the sugar cubes and ended up scoffing those on there own when my parents weren't looking too! No wonder I am diabetic, I started out all wrong :rofl:

There isn't one.
I went from two sugars to none.
It can be done.
I did exactly this...only I went from 3 sugars to none - I got used to it after a week, that was 8 years ago when I got Gout - only had that once - that was enough...

I couldn't now think about adding sugar at all 😉

I remember as a child drinking sweet tea on holiday, I was fascinated by the sugar cubes and ended up scoffing those on there own when my parents weren't looking too! No wonder I am diabetic, I started out all wrong :rofl:
When I was a kid I used to visit some relatives (Aunts and Uncles) who used to give us sugar cubes to eat!

My Granddad used to make tea that was so sweet it was more like having some tea with sugar. He learnt how to make it during the war when he was on the D-Day landings!

When I was a kid I used to visit some relatives (Aunts and Uncles) who used to give us sugar cubes to eat!

My Granddad used to make tea that was so sweet it was more like having some tea with sugar. He learnt how to make it during the war when he was on the D-Day landings!

Didn't all grandparents do that?
Big box of sugar cubes, Camp coffee and chicory?
My first memory was my grandma feeding me butter and sugar in my pram!

I don't remember camp coffee, but my Grandma used to have pineapple cubes for us.
Very 1970s.
My Grandma worked in service so mealtimes were a ritual... and everything cooked from scratch. If you even messed with the table layout before a meal you were in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back