BBC 1 tonight has made me MAAAADDDDD!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to watch spoilt rotten but I thought it might make me angry so I'm really glad I didn't now. As for holby city that is just a ridiculous statment 😡

Well, i'm well an truly on my soapbox tonight on FB so thought i'd share here as well lol!!!

Number 1: Holby City tonight - patient says along the lines, "Look at all these chocolates and sweets let's make ourselves diabetic.."

Number 2: Spoilt Rotten tonight - apparently, diabetes is caused by parents causing children to be obese and is preventable.

Raaaaaaaaaaah!

:(
Never watched Holby City(i do know what it is) but the Panarama programme was unbelievable-OH MY GOD what are these parents thinking,shocking-absolutley shocking sheena😱

I was going to watch spoilt rotten but I thought it might make me angry so I'm really glad I didn't now. As for holby city that is just a ridiculous statment 😡

Off topic but - I love your pic Emma.

I think we should make a facebook group about tv programmes/films giving out the wrong information. Get as much info and support behind it. perhaps get celebs to become fans etc raise awareness that way.

Go for it Loubie..great idea...am busy with my insulin pump naming group atm, but if you wanna set it up I can help you promote it...or it could be a joint effort??

Can put example on there such as the vid Shiv put on earlier etc.... x

I think we should make a facebook group about tv programmes/films giving out the wrong information. Get as much info and support behind it. perhaps get celebs to become fans etc raise awareness that way.

That's a really good idea. I may even join Facebook in order to support it. But... No way am I ever tweeting, OK? :D

lol gotta think of a name for it then I'll set it up... any ideas??

That's a really good idea. I may even join Facebook in order to support it. But... No way am I ever tweeting, OK? :D

Tweet! TWEET! :D Didn't think it was for me, but there is some good stuff on Twitter - lots of comedians post one-liners on there, plus there's all sorts of weblinks to news headlines, blogs etc. In fact, thinking about it, there's probably a way to complain to the BBC via Twitter!

I completely agree with being angry about the lack of information regarding type 1 and type 2 etc. I wouldnt want any type 1 child being bullied or being made to feel unhappy because the general public think eating too much sugar causes diabetes.
But, I also wouldnt want any type 2 child being bullied or made to feel different just because they have diabetes through lifestyle. It is because of their parents lack of education that they are fat and diabetic - no fault of the child at all.
I think it is a great idea to educate the media about the difference, but i think we need to be careful not to shift the target of the bullies onto type 2 diabetic children and adults alike.
Our type 1 children didnt ask to be diabetic, but neither did the type 2 children. Sadly they have no choice about what their parents feed them or how little exercise their parents encourage them to do or not, so they shouldnt be held accountable for their weight issues.
I havent watched the programme about the overweight children etc and I dont want to - I do feel that they seem to choose the worst examples of parenting in order to sensationalise a story line - and of course, the fact that it was set in Liverpool, just adds to the misconceptions bandied about by the media.🙂Bev

Ideas for a name/ title:

Diabetes & Media Confusion
Diabetes Confusion

DIDKA is so much more catcy but obv not relevant here hehe!!

Diabetes + Media Confusion = Rage!!! hehe just joking with this one...true tho..

will think some more...

Agree about being mega careful with this tho...maybe keep it a bit light hearted if poss and just as a place to store the 'media errors' and to raise awareness that 'just cos its on tv/radio etc doesnt mean its accurate!!'

x

I completely agree with being angry about the lack of information regarding type 1 and type 2 etc. I wouldnt want any type 1 child being bullied or being made to feel unhappy because the general public think eating too much sugar causes diabetes.
But, I also wouldnt want any type 2 child being bullied or made to feel different just because they have diabetes through lifestyle. It is because of their parents lack of education that they are fat and diabetic - no fault of the child at all.
I think it is a great idea to educate the media about the difference, but i think we need to be careful not to shift the target of the bullies onto type 2 diabetic children and adults alike.
Our type 1 children didnt ask to be diabetic, but neither did the type 2 children. Sadly they have no choice about what their parents feed them or how little exercise their parents encourage them to do or not, so they shouldnt be held accountable for their weight issues.
I havent watched the programme about the overweight children etc and I dont want to - I do feel that they seem to choose the worst examples of parenting in order to sensationalise a story line - and of course, the fact that it was set in Liverpool, just adds to the misconceptions bandied about by the media.🙂Bev

So what causes Type 2? I want to aim the group for both types.

The latest thinking is that it's a DNA flaw that can cause obesity and lead to insulin resistance. People with this flaw may actually crave sugar the way an addict would their drug of choice as the disease takes hold. In short it's not the obesity that causes the diabetes but vice versa.

There isnt a definitive answer to that Lou, there are many factors involved. Some people are just pre-disposed to being type 2 and for others it comes out of the blue and there are no other family members with it. It all depends what it is you are trying to say Lou - is it about the media getting it wrong and lumping all diabetes together - or the mention of eating sugar making you diabetic?🙂Bev

i couldn't believe that mum who said "she eats a family size bottle of ketchup a week". she's five does she do her own shopping? does she make her own meals? what you meant to say was YOU GIVE HER a family sized bottle of ketchup a week.

I saw this to, its shocking, i saw something similar on come dine with me, a couple of months back, they refared to a creme brulee being Diabetes in a cup,

I'd rather have the creme brulee thanks....😉

Type 2? As facebook would say "it's complicated". It's down to a complicated lottery of factors including genetics, body shape and weight, ethnic origin, age etc etc...i've also heard theories that suggest that low birthweight babies are at higher risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Weight and what your parents may or may not have made you do or eat are only part of the story.

I'd rather have the creme brulee thanks....😉
And the irony is, there's not even that much sugar in creme brulee. It's made almost entirely of egg yolks and cream, with a small amount of sugar in the egg custard and enough sugar sprinkled on the top to make the burnt sugar topping - maybe 2 dessertspoonfuls on a family-sized brulee.

It was one of the few desserts I was allowed at Christmas as a kid, as it didn't cause too much of a spike (not that it's healthy mind!).

I'm glad I didn't watch Spoilt Rotten after reading this thread, it sounds awful 😱

i couldn't believe that mum who said "she eats a family size bottle of ketchup a week". she's five does she do her own shopping? does she make her own meals? what you meant to say was YOU GIVE HER a family sized bottle of ketchup a week.

i know right? attitudes like that make me want to hit my head off a wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back