Bad day - need to talk to someone please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there @sg295. I also have what I call hypo days, but after 13 years as T1 I just put them down to the zillion other factors that @everydayupsanddowns mentioned. I’m more vigilant on my ‘wonky’ days but don’t tend to adjust anything (because I’m lazy, tbh). I used to strive for perfection (cos my first DSN seemed to think this was a possibility - it is not!) but we can’t BE our pancreases (except for @Pumper_Sue LOL).

Hi there @sg295. I also have what I call hypo days, but after 13 years as T1 I just put them down to the zillion other factors that @everydayupsanddowns mentioned. I’m more vigilant on my ‘wonky’ days but don’t tend to adjust anything (because I’m lazy, tbh). I used to strive for perfection (cos my first DSN seemed to think this was a possibility - it is not!) but we can’t BE our pancreases (except for @Pumper_Sue LOL).
LMAO I suspect that would be the first and last time I get such good results :D. With diabetes management you have to remember that you are not a machine so there are plenty of variables to tend with throughout life.

If anyone thinks they can attain perfection then they will be sorely disappointed I suspect. 🙂

Achieve the best you can and enjoy life. If you are having a cr*p day remember tomorrow will be better.

I know how you feel, today has been a day of highs for me and I've done nothing different, decided to treat myself to a KFC anyway lol. This diabeties game is really hard and lonely but just know you are never alone on here. All the best.
Oh yes I’ve had plenty of those too, super annoying isn’t it?! Sometimes you’ve just got to do what you enjoy and not care about the levels, like me yesterday just hoping today will be a better day!

But thank you so much, means a lot 🙂

I’ve been on the blood sugar rollercoaster all day as my pump detached in the night so woke up very high…then crashed…you get the picture. At least I know why it happened.
Oh no that’s not good! I’m hoping I may get a pump eventually but very early days atm so probably won’t be for a while! Hope you have a better day today 🙂

Well I'm having a bad day now too as I just injected 7 units of Fiasp instead of Levemir. Tired and not concentrating, but thankfully I realised it was the wrong colour pen as I was putting the lid on it.
Really wanted an early night tonight and was just staying awake to inject Levemir and now I am going to have to stay awake for the next 4 hours to eat chocolate to soak up all that insulin and keep an eye on levels.... Tough life!! 🙄
Oh no what a nightmare! I must admit I haven’t (yet!) injected the wrong type of insulin but I bet it’s bound to happen at some point as it’s early days!

Sorry you’ve had a bit of a rough ride today @sg295

Try not to be too hard on yourself when things wobble - diabetes has a nasty habit of insisting on it’s own ‘rules’, and then changing them at the drop of a hat!

Remember there are a LOT of factors (some suggest 42) that can affect your levels. So it’s hardly surprising that things go off kilter every so often 🙂

42?! Wow I didn’t realise it was that many! Thank you so much for that though, really helpful, I will take a read 🙂

Thank you so much for your message, really helpful! Especially as lots of people on this forum have had it a lot longer than me so are full of knowledge!

But yes this is true, I can’t expect it to be right all the time and I’ll just assume there’s other factors at play which I can’t necessarily control

Oh no what a nightmare! I must admit I haven’t (yet!) injected the wrong type of insulin but I bet it’s bound to happen at some point as it’s early days!
It is the second time I have done it in 3 years. Thankfully both times it was an evening so a relatively small dose and both times I realised pretty well straight away. Ended up hypo twice through the night last night at 2am and 5am so a bit groggy this morning but could have been worse as they were only minor ones. Lots of naughty red line on my Libre graph though 🙄 and it has spoiled my effort for a personal best Time in Range attempt this week which annoys me more!

I’m glad I haven’t made that mistake because I would have no idea how many carbs I would need for that time at night for 23.5 units (My basal is Tresiba and once a day)

Oh no that’s not good! I’m hoping I may get a pump eventually but very early days atm so probably won’t be for a while! Hope you have a better day today 🙂
I also wish I was on a pump but if you want a pump eventually you may want to look at the NICE guidance for insulin pumps. 🙂

LMAO I suspect that would be the first and last time I get such good results :D. With diabetes management you have to remember that you are not a machine so there are plenty of variables to tend with throughout life.

If anyone thinks they can attain perfection then they will be sorely disappointed I suspect. 🙂

Achieve the best you can and enjoy life. If you are having a cr*p day remember tomorrow will be better.
Thank you for your message!

Yes this is true, I think I can be a bit of a perfectionist at times which is why I then get annoyed when it goes wrong.

But you’re right, today is a new day to try again 🙂

I’m glad I haven’t made that mistake because I would have no idea how many carbs I would need for that time at night for 23.5 units (My basal is Tresiba and once a day)
Hope you never do. That would be a real midnight feast!!

My Fiasp took a lot longer to take effect than I expected, possibly because I injected it into my thigh where I inject my evening basal rather than my stomach, so went to bed just after 3 hours on a reading of 9.9 thinking I was pretty safe, although I only needed half the chocolate bar I expected to need to take me up to that level.

Yes I’m glad I haven’t done that yet too!

Luckily I am on a fairly small dose of lantus currently so it wouldn’t be too awful if I had to eat to cover the carbs as it wouldn’t be absolutely loads of insulin

I also wish I was on a pump but if you want a pump eventually you may want to look at the NICE guidance for insulin pumps. 🙂
Amazing thank you for that 🙂 I mentioned it to my consultant and they said that it could be an option for me in the future but that it was just a bit too early at the moment which I understand as it’s only been a few months! Maybe once I get to a year or 2 minimum then I could benefit from it?

Hope you never do. That would be a real midnight feast!!

My Fiasp took a lot longer to take effect than I expected, possibly because I injected it into my thigh where I inject my evening basal rather than my stomach, so went to bed just after 3 hours on a reading of 9.9 thinking I was pretty safe, although I only needed half the chocolate bar I expected to need to take me up to that level.
To be fair it’s probably better to eat the entire chocolate bar so you avoid a hypo.I haven’t had to change my dinner carb to insulin ratio in so long I don’t even know how many carbs I would have to eat!

Amazing thank you for that 🙂 I mentioned it to my consultant and they said that it could be an option for me in the future but that it was just a bit too early at the moment which I understand as it’s only been a few months! Maybe once I get to a year or 2 minimum then I could benefit from it?
I don’t know but it depends what your HbA1C is in the future And unfortunately I don’t meet the requirements to get a pump so I haven’t even asked.

To be fair it’s probably better to eat the entire chocolate bar so you avoid a hypo.I haven’t had to change my dinner carb to insulin ratio in so long I don’t even know how many carbs I would have to eat!
You are absolutely right, I should have eaten the whole bar but I hate being high more than I hate being low, which I know is not good, but mentally that's how I am and I was just getting my levels back under control from the excesses of the festive season, so I was really keen not to go high again. A small amount of carbs goes a long way with me, so slightly too many send me into orbit and once I get into double figures it takes significantly more insulin to bring me down, so I really try to keep levels in single figures as much as possible. It only took 3 JBs to treat my hypos.... 2 the first time and 1 the second.... Again, if I had taken 3 the first time I might not have had the second one, so can only blame myself but woke up on a nice 4.9 and to be fair when I finger pricked the second hypo my reading was 4.4, so Libre was probably exaggerating when it showed that I was hypo (3.0) that second time. It is good that my body woke me up both times though (I don't have alarms on my Libre) and that gives me a lot of confidence in dealing with hypos. I used to be terrified of having a nocturnal hypo, but I wake up even when they are borderline.
I think learning to listen to and trust your body can be lost when you rely too heavily on technology and then if it fails you are left more in the dark. And I think we all know, the Libre system isn't averse to the odd failure 🙄 and pumps can have failures as mentioned by @Zoombie.

You are absolutely right, I should have eaten the whole bar but I hate being high more than I hate being low, which I know is not good, but mentally that's how I am and I was just getting my levels back under control from the excesses of the festive season, so I was really keen not to go high again. A small amount of carbs goes a long way with me, so slightly too many send me into orbit and once I get into double figures it takes significantly more insulin to bring me down, so I really try to keep levels in single figures as much as possible. It only took 3 JBs to treat my hypos.... 2 the first time and 1 the second.... Again, if I had taken 3 the first time I might not have had the second one, so can only blame myself but woke up on a nice 4.9 and to be fair when I finger pricked the second hypo my reading was 4.4, so Libre was probably exaggerating when it showed that I was hypo (3.0) that second time. It is good that my body woke me up both times though (I don't have alarms on my Libre) and that gives me a lot of confidence in dealing with hypos. I used to be terrified of having a nocturnal hypo, but I wake up even when they are borderline.
I think learning to listen to and trust your body can be lost when you rely too heavily on technology and then if it fails you are left more in the dark. And I think we all know, the Libre system isn't averse to the odd failure 🙄 and pumps can have failures as mentioned by @Zoombie.
For the hypos you can never predict how your BG is going to react so two hypos can’t be blamed on you. With prefer being low rather than high I’m the same I woke up at midnight with a bad headache scanned the libre and was 17.6! So I did a corrective in the middle of the night! 🙄 (Using the BG meter to tell me how much insulin, I don’t have that much faith in the libre)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back