Anyone heard of any Libre shortages

Status
Not open for further replies.

1oldgal

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am sure I have read somewhere about Freestyle Libre shortages because of manufacturing issues, and I have been waiting nearly 2 weeks for my prescription to be filled, but I haven't seen anything on this forum site nor anything on the Diabetes uk site. Has anyone else had an issue getting theirs?

Yes, today the pharmacy said they don't know when they will be in. Helpful...

I last ordered direct from Abbott on 17th December, and they arrived in record time, like they were trying to get all outstanding orders fulfilled before Christmas, so maybe there is a hiatus in the supply chain caused by the holidays.

I last ordered direct from Abbott on 17th December, and they arrived in record time, like they were trying to get all outstanding orders fulfilled before Christmas, so maybe there is a hiatus in the supply chain caused by the holidays.
You may be right, that's about the time I ordered mine through the Pharmacy so maybe thats when they they ran out? Hope its sorted soon otherwise I will be back to numerous finger prick per day:(

I wonder why it is not mentioned anywhere?

I got a phone call from Boots claiming there's a nationwide issue (and that they've been told by Abbott that this is the case). I notice the website is showing there's a limit of 7 sensors per person per order, so maybe there is some issue (I think they had removed the limits, but maybe I'm misremembering).

I got a phone call from Boots claiming there's a nationwide issue (and that they've been told by Abbott that this is the case). I notice the website is showing there's a limit of 7 sensors per person per order, so maybe there is some issue (I think they had removed the limits, but maybe I'm misremembering).
thanks for the info, at least this indicates a potential delay rather than no deliveries, I just hope mine comes through soon.

thanks for the info, at least this indicates a potential delay rather than no deliveries

Sure, but it was always going to be a delay, surely? It's not like they don't want to flog the things. (Well, I guess they might have stopped producing Libre and are waiting around to launch Libre 2 here, but that seems.a bit unlikely.)

A slightly odd thing about the phone call was that the.pharmacist was making sure I had a blood glucose monitor, saying that Abbott were offering one to anyone that didn't have one.

Sure, but it was always going to be a delay, surely? It's not like they don't want to flog the things. (Well, I guess they might have stopped producing Libre and are waiting around to launch Libre 2 here, but that seems.a bit unlikely.)

A slightly odd thing about the phone call was that the.pharmacist was making sure I had a blood glucose monitor, saying that Abbott were offering one to anyone that didn't have one.
Hi Bruce,
Slightly odd / interesting and perhaps very telling?
I understand a conscientious pharmacist may ask a diabetic if they have an alternative device to check their blood sugars, but Abbott offering an alternative device for free? To me that signals an expected long delay with the supply of the libre sensors.
What do you think?

Hi All.

I self fund and ordered sensors on Monday night and they arrived today.

It does seem a little odd from what you’re saying.

I wonder if it is finance / cost thing. I think sensors are charged cheaper via Perscriptions to NHS than paying Abbott directly (I know VAT is taken off for self funding).

Maybe a batch that’s not right? Maybe libre 2??

or dare I say it ‘Brexit’!

Hope you get sorted soon @1oldgal

but Abbott offering an alternative device for free? To me that signals an expected long delay with the supply of the libre sensors.
What do you think?

It does suggest they're sufficiently organised that they have the policy ready to go. Or maybe it's something they worked out ages ago (this isn't the first delay, after all). I'm not sure it says anything about the expected length: they know (almost) everyone getting Libre sensors on prescription has to have some way to measure blood glucose for safety reasons, so a single day without would be unacceptable.

It seemed a bit odd to me since they must know I have a Reader (which can also use test strips) since everyone was given one. But I guess it does them no harm to make the offer. (I wonder if they're offering Optium test strips; I might accept those and save the NHS a bit of money (since they're relatively expensive).)

I ordered 2 direct last Thursday and they were delivered Monday. No mention on the website of shortages or delays.

Been waiting since before christmas, told delay somewhere along line, in Cumbria.

From what I understand the warehouse that supplies to pharmacies are having delay issues not manufacturing issues but the sensors Abbott sell or replace faulty sensors with are sent from a different warehouse, the latest update was everything should be back to normal in around 2 weeks, this information was obtained from the Freestyle UK group on Facebook xx

I put in my prescription well before Christmas and still waiting. I have been told it could be weeks before the pharmacy get them!
I am missing not having one but doing OK.

Definitely issues out there i phoned about a dozen pharmacists yesterday, most say 5 days, one said still waiting for pre Christmas order, a couple said it's more like two weeks and they are the ones who had actually spoken to Abbott? But I have found i somewhere in London, it's mine....

I was surprised to get my order so quickly, because they normally come from France, and the whole of the French transport system has been affected by strikes for the past month, with much chaos ensuing. Maybe there’s a consignment of Libres stuck in a French railway siding somewhere.

From what I understand the warehouse that supplies to pharmacies are having delay issues not manufacturing issues but the sensors Abbott sell or replace faulty sensors with are sent from a different warehouse, the latest update was everything should be back to normal in around 2 weeks, this information was obtained from the Freestyle UK group on Facebook xx

That’s just what I’ve heard too @Kaylz

When I ordered mine last week direct from Abbott there was no mention on the site about availability, in the past there has been when there is a problem. My sensors came within days.
So as others have said I suspect this is a pharmaceutical warehouse supply problem. As i read a post elsewhere yesterday someone saying they got theres from a village pharmacy and could also plenty on the shelf too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back