Anyone had big weight loss and gone into remission?

Haggied

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes this week. To say I was upset is an understatement. However, I’ve had a few days now to process everything and I accept things need to drastically change. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their story regarding losing weight and getting their diabetes into remission. I have a lot of weight to lose and want nothing more than to manage this disease long term and get into remission.
I’m sure there are lots of inspirational stories and I think they would really help reassure me things can be ok!

Yup ok.

Diagnosis HbA1c 140 weight 94Kg. Diet pretty atrocious. Felt incredibly lousy. Couldn't walk. Couldn't balance. Couldn't speak properly. Tired all the time. Big friend of the toilet and thirsty for England. Sweating? Let's not go there...

In hospital for a week. Incorrectly diagnosed at first as a T1 eventually redianosed as a T2 about 2 montgs later. Decided to find out what to do for myself. Found this web site. Learned everything i needed from here.

Changed my diet (probably a bit too drastically, but I didn't know then that it needed to be done more gently). Reduced my carb intake, increased fats and protein and pretty much everything else into more normal ranges. Eventually increased my exercise too.

Stopped all meds after a month (under supervision). Blood glucose levels settled down. Weight just fell off. 34.8 Kg lost. Clothes no longer fit. Energy came back. And my shoes are all loose too. The toilet and I almost became strangers. I have no hands now when I put my coat on. Balance returned but I'll never be a high wire artist. Had to put three new holes in my belt to stop my trowsers falling down. Speach returned as did the ability to think clearer (but not spell any better).

HBA1c 140 Nov 2020, then 46 in Jan 2021, then 39 by March 2021.

I record everything heath and diet wise, every day and it has really helped.

I am determined to beat this evil self imposed (probably) scourge, if at all possible and it looks like it is possible.

The next phase may be a bit tricky as I come off my diet and move to weight maintenance whilst still keeping low carb. Could be interesting.

You know, I haven't had a wine gum in almost a year now. Before I ate them like I was harvesting them. I needed the energy input but it never seemed to really help....

I have lost 6stone and my last 2 HbA1C tests were normal. I did it by eating very low carb (keto). It isn't a cure becasue quite small amounts of carbs over 20g put my finger prick blood tests outside normal limits and it may take several days to get back on target. Also having an infection or having to take steroids can push the levels up but assuming no infection and no steroids sticking below 20gm works for me. You can find some good recipes on the diet doctor website. Some people manage with a somewhat higher carb intake and that site also has more liberal recipes. I am 74. If I can get my weight and BG levels down it suggests that most people can as I am not an otherwise very healthy specimen. Have a look at the work of Professor Roy Taylor at Newcastle University - he has been running research on weight loss, reduction of visceral fat and remission of diabetes. He is fixing most of his patients who stay in remission of they do not regain the weight and in particular the gut fat. Good luck Haggied.

Wow, well done you two on turning your life around. I am motivated to change things too but love reading your stories. It really is inspirational!

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes this week. To say I was upset is an understatement. However, I’ve had a few days now to process everything and I accept things need to drastically change. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their story regarding losing weight and getting their diabetes into remission. I have a lot of weight to lose and want nothing more than to manage this disease long term and get into remission.
I’m sure there are lots of inspirational stories and I think they would really help reassure me things can be ok!
Lost 4 stone 7. Working on losing more. Bought a meter and cut down heavily on carbs. Went for a daily walk. Pretty much cut down heavily on processed foods. Not as strict now but watch what I eat and what I weigh carefully. Determined that this won't get the better of me. I was fortunate in that my starting point was 49. You can do this! Lots of help here if you need it.

I was "officially" just a bit overweight at diagnosis, with a BMI of 25 point something. Zapped my T2 by losing about 10kg; lost the weight by cutting calories. Then I lost another ~5kg, just to be on the safe side, and because being skinny is fun :)

Maintaining weight loss is the hard part. I think I'm fortunate in that I don't find it *really* hard, but it does require constant vigilance.

Last edited:
I was dieting and taking more exercise before diagnosis but have kept it going. Came off meds after three months and still doing fine with my BG. I feel better and fitter than I have done in years! Before and after shots attached

Attachments

• old.jpg
    old.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 26
  • new.jpg
    new.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 27
@Haggied, all I can say is I've now lost 12.9Kg in 12 weeks - NHS Low Calorie Diet - Diagnosed 3 years ago, and got HbA1c back under control shortly after then ever since - wasn't until I pushed for the NHS Diet, that I realised I needed to shift the weight quick to get T2 into remission - Prof Taylor inspired, with lots of inspiration from other people on this forum - @Weekender, @ColinUK to name a couple - for 3 years I've been trying to understand what's going on - trial & error mainly - with a glucose monitor to help - this diet is just the final push needed - I must say though up until recently, my DN ethics were to keep T2 under control rather than remission - I was always looking at remission! - Hopefully now though times are changing for the better with the NHS, so should be of benefit for all!

Go for it - don't look back, and don't give in! - as @Gwynn suggests at the bottom of their signature - "Never give up. Never surrender"!

Hi Kreator

My HbA1c results arrived today - 30 mmol/mol

So I'm concluding that the diet does the business

1628020269314.png

Hi @Haggied
I was diagnosed 12 weeks ago, HbA1c 49 I did the 'Newcastle Diet' 800 calories - 3 shakes + salad and veg (and no beer which was my weakness) for about 7 weeks and carried on eating a reduced amount.
My results from last Tuesday HbA1c = 30
I've posted my weekly progress here Link
I think 8 weeks of focussed dieting worked well for me, I don't think I could have sustained self control over a longer period

Last edited:
Yup ok.

Diagnosis HbA1c 140 weight 94Kg. Diet pretty atrocious. Felt incredibly lousy. Couldn't walk. Couldn't balance. Couldn't speak properly. Tired all the time. Big friend of the toilet and thirsty for England. Sweating? Let's not go there...

In hospital for a week. Incorrectly diagnosed at first as a T1 eventually redianosed as a T2 about 2 montgs later. Decided to find out what to do for myself. Found this web site. Learned everything i needed from here.

Changed my diet (probably a bit too drastically, but I didn't know then that it needed to be done more gently). Reduced my carb intake, increased fats and protein and pretty much everything else into more normal ranges. Eventually increased my exercise too.

Stopped all meds after a month (under supervision). Blood glucose levels settled down. Weight just fell off. 34.8 Kg lost. Clothes no longer fit. Energy came back. And my shoes are all loose too. The toilet and I almost became strangers. I have no hands now when I put my coat on. Balance returned but I'll never be a high wire artist. Had to put three new holes in my belt to stop my trowsers falling down. Speach returned as did the ability to think clearer (but not spell any better).

HBA1c 140 Nov 2020, then 46 in Jan 2021, then 39 by March 2021.

I record everything heath and diet wise, every day and it has really helped.

I am determined to beat this evil self imposed (probably) scourge, if at all possible and it looks like it is possible.

The next phase may be a bit tricky as I come off my diet and move to weight maintenance whilst still keeping low carb. Could be interesting.

You know, I haven't had a wine gum in almost a year now. Before I ate them like I was harvesting them. I needed the energy input but it never seemed to really help....
Off the point, but I recognise another Galaxy Quest fan!!

Galaxy quest. One of my favourite films too

@Haggied
My HbA1c was exactly the same as yours at 59. When I first started my self-treatment my levels on the meter spiked at 15+ and 6.2. Now they have levelled out and average under 10 for the most part. I do not know how much of that is due to the Metformin and how much to my dietary changes. Try these steps advice to another newbie: https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/carbs.95061/post-1093731
Cheers Tony.

Watched it again last night. Sheer pleasure.

@Haggied
My HbA1c was exactly the same as yours at 59. When I first started my self-treatment my levels on the meter spiked at 15+ and 6.2. Now they have levelled out and average under 10 for the most part. I do not know how much of that is due to the Metformin and how much to my dietary changes. Try these steps advice to
Interesting question. Last year when I asked my GP that question. Her immediate response was ,'It is far too soon to come off Metformin ' Not what I had asked. I didn't ask again. But I was rather surprised at her quick assumption. Did you ever find out some sort of an answer?

Interesting question. Last year when I asked my GP that question. Her immediate response was ,'It is far too soon to come off Metformin ' Not what I had asked. I didn't ask again. But I was rather surprised at her quick assumption. Did you ever find out some sort of an answer?
@Sharron1 No. I am due to see the diabetic nursie on the 10th Aug. I'll be sure to add this to my list of questions.
Will post on the forum the response I get.
Cheers Tony.

I fixed my blood glucose first, just by not eating carbs.
My weight reduced, my Hba1c reduced (91 to 41) and I am classed as in remission, but what it has not fixed is the ease with which I put on weight eating carbs.
I am far happier eating this way and having my clothes gradually get looser. I have heading for an M now, and I used to wear XXL.

Back