Anyone had big weight loss and gone into remission?

Well at 5ft 3 on a tall day without The Heels I was always exactly like Garfield himself - not overweight - always undertall! And still am now being older, unable to wear those heels any more and having ruddywell shrunk in height.

Well at 5ft 3 on a tall day without The Heels I was always exactly like Garfield himself - not overweight - always undertall! And still am now being older, unable to wear those heels any more and having ruddywell shrunk in height.
Me too, lost half an inch.

I've reached my first "Scranniversary" - just over a year since I modified my diet. I lost just over 18Kg or 40lb in eight months to reach 10st 7lb, where I've remained. My diabetic nurse is classing me as in remission with my A1c as 38 over the last six months. So, yes the weight loss regime does work for some and eating the right foods ie nothing with added sugar and easily accessed starches such as potatoes, white flour and white rice works at treat. Ok, I'm the same weight now as I was in my early 20's but at 67 I've got a medium sized body in a large skin....I make Gollum look like Christopher Biggins but I'm happy :)

Well, I can firmly confirm that losing weight can cause remission. Firstly, I initially lost 70lbs and while still a little overweight, I went into remission. Secondly, as a Medical Biochemist I worked on a team who researched the actual theory many years ago. Only 6% of those who lost weight remained actively diabetic - and while they had lost weight they were all still on very high carb diets - that meant that 94% of those who lost weight went into remission. Interestingly, there was no percentage of excess weight or actual amount .... It varied by person.I

Unfortunately, I can also confirm that putting weight back on will mean your diabetes returning with a vengeance. Even though I became disabled with illness, I nursed my elderly mother for five years and it was virtually impossible to concentrate on my diet. Since her death, I have lost 50lbs again but this time far from signs of remission, my diabetes got worse and worse. I went on Metformin but horrendous side effects. And my weight stalled because the constant hunger was insane. My GP felt that I might benefit from Ozempic.

Thank you all for your great replies! I hadn’t realised so many people had responded actually. Just thought I would update everyone in my own situation. I was diagnosed 28th July and so far since my diagnosis I’ve lost 1st 6lbs but 2st 6lbs since January 2021 so all going in the right direction and not losing it too quickly. I don’t have my next HBA1C test until November but I can only imagine that will have reduced down from 59 as I’ve been increasing my protien/fats and reducing carbs. Fingers crossed and I can update next month. Love hearing all your stories so thank you for sharing! x

Keep going Haggied. Looks like you are doing your utmost to tame or even beat the beastie. :)

Lots of inspiration on this for me. I’ve decided to cut a few things down or out of my diet

I've been following my own version of LCHF, managed to lose my "pandemic" weight, ( 1.5 stone over the last 3 months) but still got 12lbs to go to my healthy BMI weight. So still in the middle of my overweight range.
I'm currently in remission with my T2.
Just had the annual checkup - my nurse was thrilled at my weight loss and HBA1c result (48, down from 70 this time last year), she cut my meds - then in THE NEXT BREATH, said " oh but your LDLs are too high, I think I'll put you on Statins"!
Well of course they are highER, I am having a higher percentage of fat in my diet in order to beat the diabetes!
I'm 61, never smoked, gave up alcohol 3 years ago, going on 3 long walks a week plus walking uphill on a treadmill, so I don't consider her "11.4% chance of having a heart attack in the next 10 years" anything to write home about! (That's 1.4% over their 10% threshold).
I mean I know they are in hock to the drug companies, but to threaten me with Statins out of the blue like that?
Anyway, she had me in for another blood test, and what a surprise, my Liver is perfectly fine, "no further action needed"!
I should bloody think so!
If I sound cynical I apologise.
They really try to get us all ways, don't they? It can only be because it's part of their training to push drugs on us.
And another thing which I found annoying, it's only now I'm in remission, after battling with this for 15 years, that she says "you can cut the gliclazide to half a pill a day, I'm always happy to be able to take people off that, BECAUSE IT'S SO BAD FOR WEIGHT GAIN"!
So only tell me that now, when I have asked repeatedly over the years if any of my meds might cause weight gain, and been told that they won't??
What is this, health care, or a medical version of "It's A Knockout"? ( For those who remember it)!

Keeping the weight off is a harder bit and requires constant vigillance. Having said that, actually, life is the harder bit, keeping weight off is just a management part of the diabetes. It is way too easy to slip back into old habits or to relax a bit too much and lose the triumph. Me? I'm never going there!

One way I ensure that I keep on track is by analysing (just looking at) the daily body data and not becomming complacent with a 'made it' sort of thinking. The best I can hope for is 'on track' and that is good enough for me. It's a gold medal every single day.

Not just a gold medal. Great health. Great fitness. Great mood. Great food. You name it.

By Grabthars hammer....what a savings !!! :)

I am very conscious that it is the whole package of dietary changes and exercise that impacts on weight loss or gain. My enforced inactivity because of the knee injury for what is now getting on for 7 weeks, despite reducing my food intake by one third I have put weight back on. It is really upsetting as I was doing well at losing weight. The difference from walking 3 miles a day and being active anyway is difficult. I have still a long time before I am going to be more mobile.

Yes, hmmm, I am now inactive due to an enforced self isolation before an operation and I am very aware of trying to control my weight.

Not sure if I will succeed but I am trying, like you, by reducing my calorie intake. So far it seems to be ok but it is only days not weeks. Eventually, with the op, recovery, second op, second recovery, it may end up being many weeks before I can exercise again.

I have reduced my calorie intake to 200 below my guessed base calorific needs. But to be honest it's all pretty much guesswork with a lot of adjustments day on day.

Not sure what to suggest because the options open to you seem very limited.

So frustrating.

Can you lower your present calorie intake further without it driving you mad?

Yes, hmmm, I am now inactive due to an enforced self isolation before an operation and I am very aware of trying to control my weight.

Not sure if I will succeed but I am trying, like you, by reducing my calorie intake. So far it seems to be ok but it is only days not weeks. Eventually, with the op, recovery, second op, second recovery, it may end up being many weeks before I can exercise again.

I have reduced my calorie intake to 200 below my guessed base calorific needs. But to be honest it's all pretty much guesswork with a lot of adjustments day on day.

Not sure what to suggest because the options open to you seem very limited.

So frustrating.

Can you lower your present calorie intake further without it driving you mad?
I have used a low carb approach and have 70g carb per day, don't have anything between meals and reduced my portions of the main meal. I would have made something (stews, curries, chilli etc) that would do four portions but now it is stretched to six.
I can get about the house ground floor with the crutch but that is not quite the same, I will not know how much walking I can do until my x ray on 16th Dec.

I was recently diagnosed, a very brief appointment with little information. Told to look it all up on the internet and got overloaded with contrasting information! I dared to book another appointment with the (more patient) diabetic nurse and she has asked me to make a food diary for a couple of weeks and return. Writing everything down is quite interesting, shows up my weaknesses and also the difficulties with cooking for others - like husband who likes puddings and cakes which I'm trying to avoid. I have lost a stone, but have put that down to tooth ache pain and extraction and only cuppa soup would do.

I was recently diagnosed, a very brief appointment with little information. Told to look it all up on the internet and got overloaded with contrasting information! I dared to book another appointment with the (more patient) diabetic nurse and she has asked me to make a food diary for a couple of weeks and return. Writing everything down is quite interesting, shows up my weaknesses and also the difficulties with cooking for others - like husband who likes puddings and cakes which I'm trying to avoid. I have lost a stone, but have put that down to tooth ache pain and extraction and only cuppa soup would do.
Although that is a painful way of doing it, the good start on weight loss is something to keep up and also you stomach will have adjusted to having less food so that should give you a head start on reducing the carbohydrates in you diet which tend to be the bulky things.
My Other Half really engaged with the low carb way and also lost weight which he wanted to do, feeling much better for it.
The food diary is a really good idea as it can highlight where you can make some savings or substitutions for the high carb foods.
You will find acceptable puddings by searching for low carb or keto puddings either on the internet or in the food forum here.

Beware My malware reports a trojan in the link

I didn't attempt to open the link. I just reported it as spam, but thanks for the "heads up" to everyone @Drummer

I also reported it as it appeared in a very old thread.
4th of these I have seen (and reported). This spammer seems to have had a busy morning!

Back